BREAKING: Truck Plows into Xmas Shoppers in Berlin, Zurich Gun Attack

Fabrizio Bensch/Reuters, via theguardian.com.

In a day that has already seen the assassination of the Russian Ambassador to Turkey, there are now reports of two more incidents in Europe, one of which is being treated as a terrorist attack.

Reportedly, two people were killed and fifty injured [UPDATE: the death toll is now at nine, per the Guardian] today when a truck plowed into a crowd of Xmas shoppers in Berlin, Germany. The incident is being treated by police as an attack. According to the UK’s Guardian:

Local media reports suggested the vehicle ran into the market outside the landmark Kaiser Wilhelm memorial church on Monday evening. They said police at the scene had said initial indications pointed to an attack.

A photograph posted by the Morgenpost showed damaged tables and stalls, while footage posted online by the same outlet showed a truck on the scene and police officers investigating. The Berliner Zeitung said police also believed there to be multiple injuries.

The use of trucks and other large vehicles appears to be a consistent trend in terrorist attacks lately. A similar M.O. was used by the Islamic State-inspired student who attacked Ohio State University last month, as well as the similarly-inspired Bastille Day attack in Nice, France that killed 80 people.

If that wasn’t enough, in Zurich, Switzerland, three people were shot outside an Islamic Prayer Center. No reports of fatalities or motive at this point, per the BBC.

Swiss reports said the three wounded were all adults who had been found in Eisgasse, a small street where an Islamic centre is based.

There was no indication who carried out the shooting but local media said the attacker had fled the scene.

More news on both of these stories as it breaks….

comments

1. avatar Keystone says:

Here’s hoping the world can hang on for another 31 days.

And no, I don’t believe Donald will magically make things better the minute after he’s sworn in; but we all know the guy in the Oval Office right now ain’t gonna do shit to help any of these situations between now and then.

1. avatar unknown says:

The piece of crap currently defiling the oval office brought all of this to birth, along with aid from the Hideous Rotten Criminal–they had figurative sex and gave life to this hate child

1. avatar None says:

Like Trump gives a shit about normal people. Give me a break. We are all on our own.

2. avatar Swarf says:

Did… did you fucking sleep through 8 years of Bush/Cheney?

I get that you think politics is sports and your team won and that’s all that matters, but acknowledge facts, at least.

1. avatar Tim says:

Yeah, if only we hadn’t invaded Iraq, then 9-11 never would have happened, would it, swarf? It’s how come they hate us so much.

2. avatar Katy says:

Invaded? Probably had little impact. Hung around for ten years after? Yeah, that probably had a lot to do with it.

3. avatar Roymond says:

Um, Tim? Unless cause and effect has begun to go the wrong way in time, invading Iraq was not a cause of 9/11.

Invading Iraq was just stupid, is what it was. If getting rid of Saddam was actually a worthwhile goal, we could have just put a $100mn price on his head, for up to a dozen people each if they worked together. But he had just told Bush that the U.N. could send all the inspection teams they wanted, with access to anywhere they wanted, so invading was idiocy; Bush could have easily gotten the U.N. to authorize a hundred inspection teams.

2. avatar ACP_arms says:

Germany needs more gun…. wait… they used a truck?… never mind.

1. avatar unknown says:

You know they will use this as a talking point for more gun control; just look at the caliber of those wheels !

2. avatar 16V says:

Yeah, 3 wounded in Switzerland with a gun, 9 killed (for sure) and 30 more (that we know of) wounded in Germany with a truck.

Multiculturalism is great!

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

If only there was universal truck registration, that tragedy would have never happened…

Oh, wait –

1. avatar 16V says:

Licensing! Tests!

Oh wait….

3. avatar Guardiano says:

Dead people only count when they’re killed with GUNS, don’t you know that?

4. avatar Blake says:

$1000 says the truck attacker was one of the hordes of “refugees” Germany has taken in. $5000 says they’ll figure it out and that little factoid will never see the light of day in any mainstream media outlet.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

And I’ll bet the driver was yelling something about an “aloha snack bar”.

1. avatar Button Gwinnett says:

Can I get fried Spam sandwiches there?

2. avatar Mark N. says:

Last report I saw said the driver was Polish, and fled the scene…..

1. avatar Tim says:

Dead in the cab. Prolly lead poisoning………

Aloha snackbar.

2. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

According to Die Welt, the passenger, who was shot dead, was a “Polish national,” and the driver, who is now under arrest, is of Pakistani origin.

The truck was of Polish registration.

3. avatar Johnny108 says:

No bet.

3. avatar former water walker says:

Yikes! Ban trucks! Never Moose-lims…

4. avatar Guardiano says:

Time to ban trucks. If it just saves one life…

5. avatar LookAndSee says:

Wonder how Anti-gunners are going to downplay this?

Or maybe they’ll just ignore it.

6. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Diversity + proximity = war.

1. avatar Stoney Man says:

Its a pretty simple equation proven by all of human history.

Yet some people think that their infantile belief that all men are created equal will somehow exempt them from what is coming.

1. avatar 16V says:

What’s the old quote, something close to –

Men are born with different gifts and abilities.
        If they are free, they cannot be equal
        If they are equal, they are not free

7. avatar Kek Fashy says:

“Diversity” = White Genocide

1. avatar PROUD chicano says:

I like white girls and they like me back:)

1. avatar Timmy! says:

I like big butts and I cannot lie…

2. avatar Button Gwinnett says:

Hey, if you can’t keep your wife from stepping out on you, don’t get bitter. Learn to enjoy it.

1. avatar Pwrserge says:

Or you can just shoot the bastard who sleeps with your wife. Far simpler solution.

8. avatar Pwrserge says:

Ah. The “truck of peace” is back.

1. avatar LookAndSee says:

The PC term is “truck crash”.

1. avatar Roymond says:

By an individual who was “steering challenged”.

9. avatar Stoney Man says:

If Angela Merkel had any chance at being re-elected it was just crushed like so many German Skulls under the tire of a truck.

Germany will start the boxcars rolling once again. Send the Muslims back from whence they came.

Otherwise they open the gates and start the ovens.

Let the Reconquista begin in earnest.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

Pwserge/Adolf is that you?

2. avatar Sweepy says:

My grandad shot dudes like you in WWII. Shove off, Nazi.

10. avatar LookAndSee says:

Seeing this incident…

I really want to own a gun now.

11. avatar None says:

Jeez guys, let’s try to look on the positive side: 10mm is just bucking to come back into fashion; it’d make Swiss (I’m so sorry, Zurich) cheese out of those thick metal truck bodies. Plus it’s good and cold, so carrying one is an option with the heavy coats!

12. avatar Merlin says:

This only proves that gun control works! The attacker couldn’t buy a gun so he used a truck.

And neither could anybody else so there was nobody there to shoot him.

13. avatar ButtHurtz says:

Crush or be crushed. I believe history shows this repeatedly.

14. avatar Tim says:

Rushians did ti!!!11!@!! I mean, FBI!!!!!! Fake newz!!! False flagz!!! GEORGE F’ing BUSH!!!!!!!!!!!

15. avatar strych9 says:

Jesus. I go sight in a rifle and even more exciting shit happens across the pond.

16. avatar Chris T from KY says:

The open borders crowd, Libertarians, socialist and republican senator Lindsey Graham all agree Mexican truck drivers have the write to cross into the United States unchecked, no inspections, and then drive over crowds of American citizens.

Build the Wall Mr Trump.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“Build the Wall Mr Trump.”

That will be happening sooner rather than later. As in well under a year to start…

2. avatar PROUD chicano says:

Lmao… sucks to be you with so much hate in your heart. I’ve been all over this nation and I know what it’s like when FOWG’s give the stink face when they see me being MEXICAN and all. I ignore them for the most part because it doesn’t effect my day to day. That said I’m ALWAYS ready. As for the wall build it to moon as far as the Mexicans care because they’ve been drilling tunnels underneath for decades now.

1. avatar 16V says:

I used to have many legal Mexican immigrants as employees. If asked if they were “Mexican” they’d say, “No mas, I’m American now.” (“Soy gringo” whatevs…) I love Mexican food, and the mamacitas still like this gringo as well.

If you’re here legally, great! Welcome! I know the process is a pain, and not cheap. If you encounter my friends or me, will do whatever we can to help you become part of the American fabric, just like anyone else who comes here legally, (save for the Muslims who are here to exterminate Western Civilization).

If you’re here illegally, GTFO. We’ve deported millions of illegals per year, and we can get really good at it when we want to. That, and we really can make it so you can’t find work. At all.

1. avatar PROUD chicano says:

As my user name reads PROUD chicano meaning Mexican American. My Mama came here legally as my grandpa got everyone’s paperwork in order my old man well… not so much but still got his citizenship relatively quickly. That said we assimilated into this country and NEVER and I mean NEVER were on any government assistance program. Truth is at one point everyone besides the Indians made a journey to this country at one point. Another truth that some don’t understand is Mexican’s/Latino’s are actually quite conservative in our values and customs. The Republicans would be doing themselves a disfavor to not try to incorporate Latino’s into their base because the Latino population is still growing FAST and the liberals are running out of lies and false promises.

2. avatar Guardiano says:

Good to have you with us, cugino.

I have to be pedantic and disagree with one thing: the Indians came here from somewhere else, too. They walked over from Siberia or, possibly for some tribes, sailed over from Polynesia. Everyone came over as a settler/conqueror/immigrant.

I wholeheartedly agree that the Republicans should (and I think they/we do) welcome Latinos into the Big Tent. But it can’t be anything more than “yeah, you guys can be part of this too!” because otherwise it’s just the same bullsht pandering as the Democrats. That’s one of the reasons why a lot of minorities don’t necessarily feel “welcome” on the right (besides propaganda telling them all Rs are racist). Republicans don’t like to treat anyone differently for any reason, and since minorities are so used to special treatment from Dems, it makes them feel like they aren’t wanted. Or that’s how it looks to me, anyway.

3. avatar 16V says:

PROUD Chicano, glad you (sort of) identify an American – or at least that you’re here legally.

I don’t “identify” as a Welsh-American, any more than my current new immigrant friends who are Russian or Ukrainian identify as hyphenated Americans. We’re all just Americans. That’s it. When we seek division, we shall certainly find it. I couldn’t care less if you’re 1 or 10 generations removed from Mexico, you’re just an American if you’re legal, full stop. That’s it man, even in the redneck midwest, we’re only concerned with the content of your character, not whether tu madre makes a kick-ass mole. (But if she does, we’d love her recipe…) Mexico is gorgeous country, save for some of the citizens, and most of it’s government.

My point is, vato, you’re here. I can notice you aren’t white and that means nothing to me, or the majority of Americans (other than madre’s mole recipe). We care that you can design a new cancer drug, teach a kid in school, tune a car, write some poetry, whatever. You’re just one of us, your origin is irrelevant.

(Unless this whole nombre is a play on the ancient SNL skit about “I am a Chicano, and to be a Chicano is to be proud, and drive up and down the boulevard in big cars, low to the ground”. In which case, dog bless you for the subreferencial history humor.)

4. avatar PROUD chicano says:

16V I don’t “sort of” identify with being an American I’m a full fledged red blooded American who loves this country. You know what I’m sayin homz.

2. avatar jwm says:

Um, that’s OFWG, not FOWG. As a member of the anti-OFWG Defamation League I must take umbrage at your obviously fattist/racist and deliberate misuse of our prefered term of self description.

We also accept Caucasian Fellows that are Gravitationally Challenged.

3. avatar Sprocket says:

Nice to see our misplaced mexican is visiting us again to bring some diversity and remind us that many of these people will never be Americans. They are and will be foreigners squatting in our country working to influence our political system for the benefit of their homeland and compatriots. Time to help them pack their bags.

Though I guess the good news is they don’t seem prone to shooting up Christmas parties and nightclubs.

4. avatar Geoff PR says:

“Lmao… sucks to be you with so much hate in your heart. ”

What’s your home address, Mr.PROUD?

You might have a nicer place than mine, and I’d like to drop by some time and check it out, like maybe 3 AM or so.

You won’t even know I’m there, and I’d just like to hang out for a few years, enjoy a nice roof over my head and see what’s in your fridge for a snack.

You won’t have a problem with that, do you? Or would you have a problem with someone just walking in anytime they want and staying as long as they want?

Do you leave your house door open, or do you lock it when nobody’s around?

You keep it locked? There’s that much hate in your heart, and you’re even laughing your ass off (your Lmao) about it? It sure must suck to be you.

I have little problem with someone here who wants to be here and assimilate be an American.

I have a big-assed problem with those that want to enter this country and use it for their own crime spree, like MS-13 and other gangs.

You have a right to admit to your home *only* who you want, or don’t want, at any time, for any reason what so ever.

You can tell *anyone* who is in your home, whether invited or not, to GTFO out of your house if you want.

America doesn’t have that same right?

1. avatar PROUD chicano says:

Yawn. I pay my taxes so I think I’ll kick my feet up on the coffee table now, change the channel to the Spanish news and make myself that snack. Where do you keep the tortillas BTW?

3. avatar Roymond says:

Actually, Chris, Libertarians are of two minds about open borders. I happen to belong to the batch that believes that a country is essentially a contract arrangement, and as such in order to be a member you have to apply and be accepted, or stay the frak out.

And gate crashers can be booted on sight, except for ones who commit crimes, and they should be put to work doing something useful — like building a wall they can go back to the other side of once they’ve put in, say, 5k hours of hard labor working on it.

17. avatar Rimfire says:

Hmmmm, troll is no where to be seen, is it?

18. avatar Tim Frazier says:

If abolishing trucks could save even one life,wouldn’t it be worth it?

1. avatar Roymond says:

No need to abolish trucks, just tax the tires — say, at ten cents per mile they’re supposed to be good for.

Obviously, no Muslim has ever taken driver training, or they wouldn’t continue to have such terrible accidents.

1. avatar jwm says:

Can’t fly worth a fuck either.

1. avatar Cicero Smith says:

Ha!

20. avatar Jp says:

My heart goes out to the families. May the injured fully recover and those that don’t make it go with God.
    Sad day today.

1. avatar Crowbar says:

Well said.

21. avatar Dan in CO says:

Just a note to the PC zealots at TTAG. X-mas is not a holiday, Christmas is a holiday. You’d look like an idiot saying “X-wanza” or X-aloween”, and you do look like an idiot saying X-mas.

1. avatar tmm says:

Yes, I thought that was strange. I can see using xmas as shorthand in some situations, but it’s out of place in the story and the headlines. I’d like to see the proper form.

2. avatar TXLawyer says:

X (chi) as an abbreviation for Christ is ancient in origins. Often accompanied with a P or rho. Like on Roman money after the Christians took over the empire. It’s not anti-Christian, just lazy (unless you’re handwriting something, taking notes, limited on space/characters, etc.).

1. avatar Roymond says:

Yes, and if you read the New Testament in the original (as I do), Xmas looks almost fine. But for those who don’t read Greek, it looks like the name for either a generic or a kinky/violent/cussing event.

I say “almost fine” because it should be ☧mas (though that’s a hybrid of a Greek symbol plus a Latin ending).

22. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Update:

The death toll is now up to 12 people, with 50 injured.

Die Welt is now reporting that the arrested suspect is 23, came into the country in the last year as a Pakistani “refugee” via the Balkans route, was known to the police for “minor” offenses.

The dead man in the cab is confirmed as a Pole, but police aren’t sure whether he was killed prior to the attack or at the scene. His relatives say that he wouldn’t have hurt anyone, and had been driving the truck northwards in Germany, seeking to get back home after a trucking run. This makes it sound like the truck was hijacked.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“On the same page on Die Welt, there is an update from the German police union on the case of a young female student who was tortured and then killed by another Muslim “refugee”, 17 years old, who refuses to talk to the police.”

I’m surprised the Germans made that info public. In the interest of not inflaming the public for retribution, of course.

Europe is going to have to make a very difficult decision in the near future…

23. avatar Bob R says:

Really? That’s the headline for this post? A truck did it? Like guns kill people? I expect this from CNN, but TTAG?

Very disappointed.

A muslim did it. A practitioner of the religion of Islam did it.