Coming Soon From Savage Arms: An MSR

Savage Arms says “Better is Coming” in January of 2017, pointing us to this teaser video for an upcoming MSR. That’s “Modern Sporting Rifle,” AKA an AR-platform gun. It’s a first for Savage, just like it was for Springfield when they released the SAINT last month, but in the MSR’s case they’re deviating from traditional “Mil-Spec” format in a few ways…

The upper is a side-charger. Looks like a non-reciprocating side charging handle on the left side of the rifle. Additionally, the handguard and upper bolt together directly.

The handguard appears to feature M-LOK slots and a full-length top rail.

The magazine well sure looks large, and it’s safe to say that both upper and lower are machined from billet and do not follow a Mil-Spec form.

Savage-branded dust cover.

And a grippy-looking grip.

As for details from Savage, a company known primarily for its bolt-action rifles, this is it so far. I suspect we’ll get the full scoop at SHOT Show, which is now less than a month away.

comments

1. avatar Nanashi says:

Maybe it will be cheap like Savage’s other stuff, but with that much proprietary stuff I’m doubting it.

2. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

And if savage stays true to form, it should be very affordable.

3. avatar former water walker says:

Savage huh? As in made in China like the Savage350 I had? Or better…choice is good. I wonder if they thought having the Hildebeast as chief potentate was a factor in jumping into a crowded market?

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

the stevens version will be asian.

4. avatar Vhyrus says:

“It’s a first for Savage, just like it was for Springfield when they released the SAINT last month, but in the MSR’s case they’re deviating from traditional “Mil-Spec” format in a few ways actually doing it right…”

FTFY

5. avatar jandrews says:

ARs really dont catch my interest these days unless they’re top quality piston units like LWRC, POF, etc.

1. avatar Tommycat says:

This one looks more like an H&K or FAL style rifle with some of the things we like about AR’s. Or, it’s an AT with some of the features I like about the FAL? Either way, it looks different enough that I’ll take a look at it when it comes out.

6. avatar Charlie Mike Mike says:

Wow. The Saint is already yesterday’s news. Well, not that it was much news in the first place. Can’t wait for the Taurus AR-15. Now that will be news! At least until its recalled…for the third time.

1. avatar Timmy! says:

“At least until its recalled…for the third time.”

Oh snap! Or, if you prefer, oh no he di’int!

Having said both of those, I can recall having had exactly one (1) problem with a Taurus gun in the dozen or so I have owned. Perhaps I’m a “Fanboy” and am able to look-past/forget any other issues I’ve had, but a Taurus AR might be on a short list for me to purchase.

In case you were wondering, it was a slightly crooked extractor rod in a Judge which wouldn’t push spent .410 shells out. Dealer actually made it right with a straight-up swap for another gun.

2. avatar Ozzallos says:

Sure, why not. Mossbrg has had their MMR AR for years. Time for Taurus to ride that bus too.

7. avatar Crowbar says:

I have owned a few Savage rifles and I bought the Savage/Steven’s 12 gauge when it came out. I would give the modern Savage products an A+. A lot better than the modern self firing Remington rifles or craprastic 870s.

8. avatar me says:

Hm, got my last name right on it, and i dont own a single savage arm yet, maybe this will be my first from the company.

9. avatar Blake says:

Looking forward to seeing this. A non-recip sidecharger will be a nice change of pace from the business-as-usual ARs everyone keeps releasing. Assuming it can keep the modularity of the platform and come in at a reasonable price and weight that is.

1. avatar Guardiano says:

The only upper I use on my rifles and the ones I build for others. The only downfall, it’s not compatible with anti-rotation tabs on some handguards. Nothing a grinding wheel won’t fix.

1. avatar Justin says:

Wow, pretty heavy.

If Savage’s MSR is anything like its bolt guns, this new rifle will be inexpensive and accurate.

11. avatar ACP_arms says:

If want to see calibers and barrel lengths and price check out Grabagun (sorry, no photos) http://grabagun.com/search/?q=savage+MSR

16″ & 20″ .308 Win, 17″ 6.5 creedmoor and 16″ AR15.

Just for the 20″ barrel I’d get the Savage over the Ruger SR-762.

1. avatar ACP_arms says:

Edit; If you want to see.

2. avatar John says:

Under $800 for the 223- make one in 6.8 spc (just cause I don’t have one yet) and I’m in.

3. avatar Mark N. says:

17″ seems on the short side for 6.5 Creedmoor. All I’ve seen to date have been 22 or 24. And the .308 is not what I would call a cheap rifle at nearly $2k.

12. avatar anonymoose says:

hmm…I wonder if this too is made by Gibbz like just about every non-reciprocating side-charging AR upper…I also wonder if it will have a dust cover, case deflector, and/or forward-assist…

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

If you were left wondering whether it will have a dust cover or case deflector, you may want to give the post another quick read 😛 (hint: second from last photo)

13. avatar James in MO says:

My question is… Accutrigger? That with the side charging handle would be sweet.

14. avatar Rumblestrip says:

So when they announce at SHOT that there will be two models, one on 5.56 and 300, and the other in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor, also these are side chargers, does that change things from “oh look another AR”?

1. avatar SouthernPhantom says:

Yes. A reasonably-priced 6.5 AR from Savage is something I would actually buy, unlike most ARs.

15. avatar Mike says:

Next they are going to be producing 1911 pistols. At least this one maybe different

16. avatar Michael Lewis says:

Am stoked looking at these features. If only the trigger is customizable or replaceable with aftermarket. These features along with a great muzzle brake…count me in. Oh, almost forgot…must be a good piston system or convertible to one. I love the Osprey 316 kit.

17. avatar Wayne Monaghan says:

Still waiting on the 300 Federal Ar.