Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day: Conor Wing

party-string-gun

“Authorities say a 19-year-old man was reloading a rifle [not shown] during a party at his home in Bear when it discharged and struck two people,” Delaware’s wmdt.com reports. Did the word “party” jump out at you, too? I mean, there’s a time and place to show off your firearms. A party isn’t it.

I recommend a relatively quiet, alcohol-free zone in a space without a lot of coming and going and other, um, distractions. But what do I know? My guns don’t discharge on their own, no matter where I am in the loading process.  Anyway . . .

Police say Wing was reloading the rifle after he gave the unloaded weapon to a 16-year-old who had asked to look at it . . .

Authorities say a round from Wing’s gun hit an 18-year-old woman in the torso and passed through her, striking a 23-year-old man in the hip during the party.

The man was released from the hospital, while the woman remained in stable condition.

So Mr. Wing unloaded his rifle before giving it to a friend for inspection/admiration. Right answer! And then decided to reload it before [presumably] putting it away. Wrong answer? Well . . .

I’ve unloaded my everyday carry gun and handed it to someone to have and to hold. And reloaded it upon its return before holstering. Would I do the same for my home defense rifle? Yeah. Probably.

So the the irresponsibility here centers — as it always does — on the gun owner’s failure to observe ye olde “always keep a gun pointed in a safe direction” rule as well as the “don’t put you finger on the trigger until your sights are on target” admonition.

To which I can only add what I mentioned at the top of this post: it’s not always a good idea to manipulate your gun in front of folks. A responsible gun owner puts safety above vanity. That is all.

comments

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

At least the shot wasn’t fatal. It looks like he only…

(•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

Winged ’em.

1. avatar Lead Magnet says:

Hahaha.

Well played sir!

2. avatar JKATX says:

You win the internet today!

3. avatar tmm says:

My first thought too.

Now if the next winner is Mr. Scratch, we’d have something. First name Tisonlia.

2. avatar RCC says:

As the old saying goes in Australia and I assume world wide –
    “instant idiot just add alcohol”

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Idiot or A-hole works for me…

3. avatar James in AZ says:

I have an SOP designed specifically for guests. Before they come, all family members will dress up, strap on their EDC, and move all stashed weapons to the main safe. That way no one will accidentally find a gun, shoot themselves, and have the cops blame me.

1. avatar Robb says:

What if your guests bring their own and still perforate someone?

4. avatar NorincoJay says:

It could’ve slam fired if he tried to store it with a round in the chamber and let the bolt slam home. Maybe? Either way like the article says point barrel in safe direction

1. avatar James in AZ says:

I have a level 4 plate by the wall just for this.

1. avatar Red in CO says:

…please tell me you’re joking

1. avatar James in AZ says:

…or are you gonna send me a free bullet trap?

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

James, a 5-gallon pail filled with sand has a lot lower ricochet potential…

3. avatar NorincoJay says:

I have a friend that had a rifle slam fire on him before. It was at the range and the barrel was pointed down range so it wasn’t the end of the world, but after that I am always mindful it can happen with free floating firing pins. I think it was a Kel-Tec SU16.

4. avatar Joel says:

Hey, a 5 gallon bucket full of sand is cheaper and just as effective, but hey. 😉

5. avatar LarryinTX says:

I don’t unload/reload without planning and preparation, since I like to wipe my cases of moisture and oils from the tips of my fingers, to prevent corrosion. Work on it.

6. To quote Joe Pesci in Goodfellows “I got a wing!”. Glad no one dies…

7. avatar tdiinva (now in wisconsin) says:

There is no safe direction in a crowded house in an urban/suburban neighborhood especially for a rifle. There is an unintended target in any direction. Just rrsist the urge to play show and tell at a party.

1. avatar No one of consequence says:

This.

The only exception I could really see would be a build party, where you really do want an example of what it should look like after you’re done…

8. avatar GS650G says:

Bear is not one of the safer areas in delaware. There are some nice neighborhoods and there are a lot of just plain hoods.

Let’s not judge the Wingster too harshly. The rifle could have been a Remington 700.

1. avatar John in AK says:

Now, now. Remington 700s will only fire if a round is chambered, the safety taken off, and the trigger pulled.
      Or if the safety is on, and the trigger is pulled.
      Or if the safety is on, and the trigger is NOT pulled.
      Or if the safety is off, and the trigger is not pulled.
      Or by taking the safety off.
      Or by putting the safety on.
      Or by putting the safety half-on and half-off.
      Or if the safety is on and the bolt handle is lifted.
      Or if the safety is off and the bolt handle is lifted.
      Or if the safety is on and the bolt is closed.
      Or if the safety is off and the bolt is closed.
      Or if the safety is on and the rifle is jarred.
      Or if the safety is off and the rifle is jarred.
      Other than that, the rifle is completely safe, absolutely safe, and 100% safe. Just ask Remington.
      Just remember the cardinal Remington safety rule: “Never allow the muzzle to cover anything at all between unloaded-in-the-safe and aimed at a specific target.”

10. avatar Mercutio says:

“My guns don’t discharge on their own, no matter where I am in the loading process. Anyway . . .”

No Remington 700 in the safe, huh?

11. avatar strych9 says:

“I recommend a relatively quiet, alcohol-free zone in a space without a lot of coming and going and other, um, distractions.”

I agree with all of this other than the alcohol free zone thing. I’ve expounded on this before. If you can’t handle your drinks and a gun then you probably shouldn’t have either. The caveats being that you’re at least reasonably experienced with firearms and not a total retard when sober.

12. avatar Mike Betts says:

Gunpowder and alcohol. Not only does it taste pretty shitty when mixed, it’s a downright dangerous combination. You want to see my firearms? Fine. Ask me at a time when neither of us have touched alcohol, even so much as a single beer. Want to come and shoot here? Fine. The same rule applies. You will not be allowed to shoot on my back acreage if I detect so much as a whiff of alcohol, and if I’ve had anything to drink, the range is CLOSED until you pick a day when I’ve not touched Demon Rum. Harsh? Too (expletive deleted) bad. It’s my range and my rules.