New Stock, Forward Grip, and Magazines from HERA Arms

hera-cqr-768x431_1

German manufacturer HERA Arms, whose parts are imported, distributed, and sold retail in the U.S. by LAN World, is about to release their CQR stock and forward grip for the AR platform, plus what appears to be a V2.0 of their AR-15 magazines.

The CQR stock is certainly a unique design, looking more like a precision bolt-action rifle stock (i.e. sniper-style stock) than a typical AR stock. Beyond the shape of the buttstock portion itself, this look is furthered by the fact that it includes the pistol grip all in one monolithic piece. Going by this photo, it appears to offer a handful of sling attachment points including a QD socket option, spacers to adjust length of pull, maybe a cheek piece riser, and some sort of storage compartment (edit: LAN World informed me that it’s a monopod area) on the bottom rear.

It will be available in black, FDE, and OD Green. Apparently this stock was designed for use by European NATO countries ramping up to deal with terrorist threats, and HERA currently has it in several military/police bids.

14940122_10154701581644777_8934057510310932956_o

But the unconventional aesthetics of the stock are at least matched by those of the forward grip, which definitely brings to mind the FN P90. No idea at this time if the ATF would consider it a “vertical forward grip” and therefore make it a no-no on a pistol, but we’ll work on running that down. It does appear to integrate a QD socket, clip point on the bottom, hand stop, and angled grip. From the visible bolt heads in the photo, it’s possible or likely that grip panel sections will be swappable.

Also seen in the photo above is a rear-on view of HERA’s new magazines. I like the look of putting the grip texture on the front and rear but not the sides, and the look of the flush-ish baseplate. Note the magazines are prominently marked “5.56 NATO” along the front of both sides and “CAL 5.56” along the bottom of both sides. If they manufacture a 300 BLK and maybe other specific caliber-marked versions in the future, I’ll be very interested.

14918834_10154701581114777_3982743009364324226_o

Left-side view. Clearly they’re planning on releasing a few colors. On a personal note, my 4-year-old daughter now likes to say “flat dark earth” when people ask her what her favorite color is. Haha, love it.

14633539_10154668388564777_8569507367018989288_o 14859734_10154668391239777_3301376666063368659_o

Don’t worry, Californians and residents of other “ban states” that prohibit “assault weapons” “features” like a pistol grip. HERA has you covered, too. The simple addition of a solid plate in the triangular area behind the pistol grip makes it, well, no longer a pistol grip. The result is one of the least weird-looking “compliant” stocks I believe I’ve come across. Perhaps the best part is that this aluminum plate is removable should the owner leave that state or if the laws change (insha’allah).

Fancy, feature-rich German parts tend to carry impressively-high price tags. Apparently that isn’t the case here, though. LAN World says the MSRPs are to be as follows:

• CQR Stock: $119 for standard version, $124 for AWB-compliant version

• CQR Forward Grip: $39

Cool. TTAG will be borrowing a CQR set for review (and some new mags when they’re ready). Stay tuned.

comments

1. avatar Dan in SC says:

hmmm…depending on how it feels and acutal size and such, would look good on a SBR build

2. avatar M1Lou says:

I bought a bunch of the mags to see how they work. I’ll be buying the stock and grip when they are available for my 20″ 5.56 paper puncher build.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

The V2 mags aren’t for sale yet as far as I know. I believe in 2-3 weeks LAN World intends to start pre-orders for the stocks, but I was under the impression that the magazines won’t be ready for a few weeks more.

…their original mag offering had some functional glitches, and apparently the V2 makes another step (beyond their V1.5) in solidifying performance…

3. avatar Nine says:

It took a few minutes but I like the look of it.

4. avatar YZAS says:

looks cool. but also looks heavy. I would think the whole point is the CA legal thing. besides that, I don’t see the point. (But I’m kinda old and boring these days, so take that with a grain of salt). with my wrists/tennis elbow, I like both grips being as vertical as possible… also lose my optional magwell hold. and my left hand would be lower on the barrel than I like it. but, again, I’m already set in my ways. It does look cool though.

5. avatar NorincoJay says:

The mags look nice. The rest not for me. The front grip looks down right huge therefore probably heavy.

6. avatar pwrserge says:

Ok… That looks awesome. I might just have found another bit of coolness for my next SBR build.

1. avatar Benny the Jew says:

Indeed. Very Shadowrun.

1. avatar Chris Miller says:

My initial thought was something from Masamune Shirow’s Ghost in the Shell or Appleseed universe.

2. avatar Desert Ranger says:

Shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever make a deal with a dragon!

7. avatar DMD says:

Front grip sales success all depends on ATF legality ruling. Deplorable DMD

8. avatar Vhyrus says:

Since you can wrap your thumb all the way around it, I am 90% sure they will rule it as a vertical grip.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Wrapping your thumb around it has never been part of the ATF’s determination on whether something is a forward vertical pistol grip, as far as I know. The ATF often says, in VFG determination letters, something like “federal law doesn’t define forward vertical grip but the ATF has determined it is distinguished by being both in front of the magazine well and oriented at a perpendicular (90 degree) angle to the bore of the firearm”. If they stick to their guns on that, they’re going to have to stretch reality a bit to claim that this CQR forward grip is at a 90*, vertical angle to the bore. Unfortunately the top inch of it is vertical (in three places, really), so I wouldn’t be shocked if they said it’s a VFG even though the textured grip area(s) on it is obviously angled. Toss-up…

9. avatar CarlosT says:

Looks sort of P90ish or Tavorish. I like it.

10. avatar Kapeltam says:

Might have to get the stock for an up-coming lower.

11. avatar Alphapod says:

I’m surprised no one has thought of doing that on a thumb-hole stock before. Or at least I haven’t seen it. Nice to have more state-compliant options, anyway, but after the first round of Hera Arms magazines… I’d like to see the reviews first.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Yeah, a review(s) will come. We’ll be testing the mags pretty thoroughly (a lot of the ability to do that is thanks to CapArms providing TTAG with ammo, which greatly eases budget constraints and will let us put a really solid number of rounds through the mags). Apparently most or all of the issues with the first version of HERA mags were resolved with their V1.5 though. I believe those have received roundly positive reviews? These V2 ones are supposed to be even better, but of course the company would say that they’re more than competitive with the best mags on the market. We’ll try to get to the bottom of it 😉

1. avatar Alphapod says:

That’s good to hear! I appreciate the work you all put into your reviews.

12. avatar Jp says:

I like it.

13. avatar Tex300BLK says:

Ooooh, I kind of want to put that stock on my rifle for Pecos Run and Gun next year.

14. avatar gargoil says:

holy shit that is freaking awesome looking. i am worried about wieght though.

15. avatar Reef Blastbody says:

That stock/foreend combo looks like something from Ghost In The Shell.

1. avatar notalima says:

That was exactly my thought when I saw it first on TFB.

16. avatar Confused says:

Help me understand this product. So the big selling point here is… it’s a polymer thumbhole stock!???? WUT?

17. avatar John says:

Release date??? Please.

18. avatar MiniMe says:

I like. How soon will it be available?
    Now that the witch is done, I’m ready to build me an SBR with this CQR stock. 😀

19. avatar YAR0892 says:

Looks really good. Can’t wait to read the reviews!

20. avatar Mr Bad Example says:

Reminds me of a magpul PDR…Anyone remember those? MAgpul doesnt…

21. avatar DekNgo says:

Looking forward to the review of the stock and front grip. If there are no glaring faults, I plan on adding them to my AR57 which will make it resemble a P90.

22. avatar Cliff H says:

This looks all Star Wars-ish, and I seem to be in the minority here, but that AR is just FUGLY!

1. avatar Arod529 says:

Ya it looks rather ridiculous and bulky. I would be surprised if we didn’t see this in a bad scifi movie.

2. avatar Jeremy S. says:

The front grip is pretty freakin’ huge. Not sure I’ll warm up to it. I like the look of the stock, though, and can definitely see using it on a build. Maybe it’ll go on the match-grade bullseye shooting AR build I’m completing in the next couple weeks. Rear monopod mount point makes it even more appealing for that use.

23. avatar BDub says:

Finally I can have my very own Seburo in 300blk.

24. avatar _.-m-._ says:

The lanworldinc website currently lists 2 lbs for the buttstock and 1 lb for the foregrip… so, beefy…

25. avatar Killer_Rabbit_of_Caerbannog says:

Any update on ATF determination regarding this being considered a VFG?