Maryland Gun Grabbers Change Their Name: The Vocal Majority

Back in the day, TTAG contributor Dan Baum chided me for using the term “gun grabber.” The Gun Guys author considered it downmarket and incendiary. Since then I’ve referred to gun grabbers as gun control advocates, civilian disarmament proponents or simply “antis.”

Meanwhile, gun grabbers have been swimming in a sea of euphemisms, lest the word “control” diminish the appeal of their anti-ballistic brand. (The truth hurts.)

The left-leaning mainstream media’s swallowed the spin doctoring hook, line, and sinker, filing report after report on gun safety, common sense gun safety, gun reform and gun violence prevention.

Equally, the antis have assiduously avoided the word “control” in their names. There’s Everytown for Gun Safety, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, Americans for Responsible Solutions, The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, States United, The Violence Policy Center, New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, etc. Not to mention Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Michael Bloomberg’s abandoned anti-gun agitprop arm.

But the Maryland gun grabbers’ re-branding — revealed by the lop-sided video above — is something different.

“Vocal Majority” is a clear riff on the term “silent majority.” President Nixon popularized the term in a speech referring to Americans who supported the Vietnam War without making a ruckus (unlike the long-haired hippies smoking dope, fornicating and rallying against the war).

Whether or not Free State gun grabbers paid image consultants to choose the Vocal Majority moniker/hashtag, we know why: to suggest that their push for “universal background checks” has overwhelming public support.

Which it kinda does and kinda doesn’t.

While the majority of the public are willing to put their hands up for UBC’s, this is low-information America. They don’t appreciate/understand that there’s a slippery slope from universal background checks to universal registration to universal confiscation. Nor do they understand that UBC’s mean they can’t lend a gun to a pal — even on the range — without a background check.

Noting that the polls show that instituting “strict gun control” has only slightly more support than not doing so. Without any idea of what “strict gun control” actually means.

Anyway, the name Vocal Majority says mob rule to me. The term has a distinct bully boy feel to it. Considering the fact that gun grabbers constantly refer to gun rights advocates — especially open carriers — as bullies, there’s not a little to irony here.

comments

1. avatar Joe R. says:

I’m changing their name to the oral majority.

Or has someone already beaten me to it.

Come on out to the OK, set up a booth at Wannamacher’s http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/

On second though, bring that sh_t to Oklahoma, by SR71.

1. avatar Joe R. says:

How vocal is the Vocal Majority on FOIA requests? Is it anal retentive? Does it, like Hillary’s State Dept., handle it’s own?

Where’s your possible recourse against a government that governs itself?

2. avatar Nativeson says:

How about the Immoral Minority, the Bitches of Eastwick, or The Few, The Loud, The Maureens?

1. avatar Joe R. says:

Hahahahaha

2. avatar MattG says:

Oh I gotta steal that last one!

3. avatar Crowbar says:

Very well played sir.

4. avatar Spartacus Khan says:

“The Screaming Pussies”

2. avatar Mike Betts says:

I live in what is laughingly (bitter laughter, I assure you) nicknamed “The Free State” and if we don’t have UBC introduced in the next session of the General Assembly, where I will be the most surprised person on Earth if it doesn’t pass the House of Delegates and the State Senate,. Democrats enjoy a 2-1 majority if both the House and Senate and I don’t suppose I need put the word “liberal” in front of “Democrat”, do I? They enjoy the same majority they did when they shoved the draconian “Gun Safety Act of 2013” down Maryland firearms owners throats in the wake of Sandy Hook and they’ve never seen a gun regulation they didn’t like, as long as it sounded good and got them votes. Our only hope is a veto from our Republican governor, who enjoys widespread support but the Democrats have the votes in the General Assembly to override a veto. UBC is coming to Maryland, like it or not.

1. avatar John B says:

We can stop it if we are willing to do the hard work needed, both locally and in Annapolis. They tried shoving the “No Fly – No Buy” BS down our throats last session and we stopped the bill dead in both the House and Senate committees through some brilliant testimony from our NRA liaison, MD 2A groups and dozens of liberty loving citizens. We took the battle to the streets with a session long picket line, constant pressure in emails and on social media, and one on one pressure from citizens to their representatives.

No matter who wins in November, the loonies in the General Assembly will be pushing hard to run over our rights.
      Are you willing to stand up and push back?
      See you in Annapolis!

1. avatar Kyle says:

I dont see how you hope to do stop anything.

The current climate of the government is quite clearly in the direction of “ignore the will of the people, they will vote for us anyway”.

The repubs will vote repub no matter what, and the dems do the same thing. As long as we trust blind leaders, who care nothing for the laws the pretend to support, its impossible to stop them at all.

…short of organized insurrection i suppose.

2. avatar GS650G says:

Maryland is actually known as the Fee State for many reasons. The fact MD runs from the Atlantic clear to the Allegany mountains makes it a problem for travels. They already came up with brutal transport regs and forget CCW with out of state permits.

1. avatar Wood says:

Yeah, that MD panhandle needs to be lopped off and returned to WV where it belongs. The DC Baltimore corridor can fall in a sinkhole or sustain a meterotite impact of just the right amount.

3. I wonder if courts would give UBC the same treatment that they do voter ID laws.

3. avatar CalGunsMD says:

More like “The Shrill and Irrational Few”.
    I saw a post on TTAG recently with the MA AG behind a lectern with that “Vocal Majority” logo on it.

4. avatar Alex waits says:

This is why we are not a democracy, the government is supposed to be bound by a preset agreement on rules. One of those rules is not messing with guns or the bearing of said guns. But hell, the progressive movement has gotten so much so far by playing to feelings and opinions, why stop now.

5. avatar Kroglikepie says:

A fascist by any other name…

1. avatar Joe R. says:

A tyrant, regardless of the piss-ant small patch of real estate that it squats on, is still . . .

MD makes me wish global warming was real.

1. avatar Wood says:

Global warming is real. Natural cycles of temperature ranges are just part of the process. Now blaming conservatives for it is BS. Progressives like to be able to buy or mail order all their stuff, and live in AC homes and work in AC offices. But it’s our fault…

6. avatar Removed_californian says:

Good video. Only real discrepancy is the ban on F/A weapons but I’ll let it slide on the Hughes amendment technicality.

7. avatar pg2 says:

“commonsense” anything gives it away as an organized propaganda play to attack individual liberties.

8. avatar Chris Morton says:

They whine and stamp their little feet.

I laugh and laugh…

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

I prefer the term “oppression enthusiasts”.

2. I prefer “anti-gun cultists”, “OSHA for rapists”, or “supporters of invidiously racist gun control”.

They whine and stamp their little feet.

I laugh and laugh…

It would not surprise me if these people thought that Brock Turner and Felipe Santiago Peralez were sentenced too harshly.

9. avatar P-Dog says:

Vocal Majority? How about the Loco Majority?

10. avatar MouseGun says:

Vocal? Just because you’re the loudest in the room, it doesn’t mean you’re the smartest.

11. avatar FedUp says:

Because “ranting minority” was too descriptive?

12. avatar The Hot Sheet says:

Passing ‘ Preemption ‘ laws helps keep the Grabby-Nannys from passing laws that conflict across a state.
    SB – 1330 is moving to Pennsylvania House after passing Senate. Every state needs this.

13. avatar TyrannyOfEvilMen says:

Meh. Kind of reminds me of “the moral majority” … Clearly that name didn’t help them.

14. avatar Horscemann says:

So what’s your problem with fornicating and smoking dope?

15. avatar Justin Case says:

The Squeaky Wheel doesn’t go any faster or better than the other wheels on the bus. It just makes all the noise.
    Just sayin’.

16. avatar Keystone says:

“Vocal Majority.”

What a joke. I bet their attendance mirrors Hillary’s rallies (I.E. Hardly anybody).

17. avatar ButtHurtz says:

If I was there, I’d call them dead.

18. avatar JR_in_NC says:

That sign sure looks a lot like a Hillary Clinton sign. Coincidence?

19. avatar Anonymous says:

Robert, I agree. It says – there are more of us than you – and therefore you should do as we say.

Classic “tyranny of the majority.”

20. Vocal. As in free speech. What…exactly…allowed that freedom?

21. avatar BigDaveinVT says:

worked for the Bolsheviks.

22. avatar Chris T from KY says:

Welcome to communist government. They know better.

23. avatar Jay Dee says:

Same stunt the Bolshevik Party pulled. Bolshevik means Majority even though they were a tiny minority at the time.

24. avatar Pete says:

How about the “Screeching Harpies” ?

25. avatar Lee Cruse says:

I wonder if they have stepped on the toes of the widely known Vocal Majority vocal group out of Dallas.

1. avatar Ruby Cruse says:

Dear Husband, I posted my reply and response. I did send the link to The Vocal Majority and received their link back in response.

26. avatar Ruby Cruse says:

Please check out this blog about the fact that THE VOCAL MAJORITY is a registered trademark.
    I received the link to your article from my husband and was concerned because this appears to be an issue, IMHO. I certainly don’t think of gungrabbers when I think of “The Vocal Majority”.