Pro-Tip: Use Adult Bed Pads When Cleaning Your Guns

screen-shot-2016-10-06-at-10-33-37-am

When cleaning your weapons on a surface on which you don’t want to risk making a mess (say, the dining room table), use an adult-sized absorbent bed pad, the kind they use in home health care (e.g., Chux) on your work surface.

The pad absorbs any oil (or other debris) you may drip, the white surface makes it easy to see any parts or tools you lay down, the plastic backing keeps liquids from seeping through to the surface below, and when you’re done you just wad it up and toss it.

They’re available in most any drug store, grocery store, or megamarket, usually wherever they stock the adult diapers. If buying them locally is too embarrassing, you can always order them on line.

comments

1. avatar Wood says:

I thought this is what the NYT was for. Oh right, I don’t buy that sorry rag…

2. avatar decoy91 says:

If we’re going to do this we should just use wee-wee pads for pets. They seem to be cheaper. Couldn’t comment about performance though.

1. avatar John in CT says:

That’s what I was thinking, as well.

2. Try a door mat from the local hardware store ($4.99). No-slip backing and absorbent, textured front keeps firing pins and firing pin retainer pins in place while keeping the Hoppe’s and CLP off your table. It’s cheap and reusable.

3. avatar Big B says:

Being cheaper is a bonus, what really matters is pet pads are certainly less embarrassing to buy.

1. avatar Button Gwinnett says:

Winner winner chicken dinner!

2. avatar neiowa says:

Just tell the clerk you’re sending them to Hillary (human or doggie pads).

4. avatar jandrews says:

I just lay own a 36in strip of tinfoil followed by the same size layer of paper towel.

One box of foil and one roll of paper towels have lasted me for 3 years so far at a total cost of…maybe $4? They’re only about 2/3 done.

Better yet, just get a white rubbermaid lid from a yardsale and hose that bitch off when you’re done. It’ll last for life at the cost of a buck or so.

Can we really not figure this out ourselves TTAG?

5. avatar gargoil says:

ditto, been doing this for awhile.

BTW, you can put your reloading media, corncob anyways, in a pillow case, tie a knot in it and wash it like clothes and it will come out like new. been doing that for years as well. haven’t bought any new CC other than what i bought my first time.

3. avatar Chris says:

Looks a lot like puppy pads which I’ve been using to clean my guns on for years. They work really well.

4. avatar strych9 says:

I can see this making for an interesting conversation.

“Trouble piss ing yourself there, Tom?”

“Nah, trouble with the bad guys shutting themselves!”

5. avatar When The Buzzard Circles says:

Sigh…

The stuff some of you guys come up with…there just are some things that guys shouldn’t do.

6. avatar scooter says:

Alternatively, we had some changing table pads left from our youngest. Just as good! They last quite a while, then then replace when it gets too funky.

7. avatar Waffensammler98 says:

This makes my firearms care practices look absolutely ghetto in comparison. Lithium grease from the local auto store for lubrication, old cut up clothing bits for patches, etc.

8. avatar Gilbert says:

I bring home my target(s) from the range, fold in half, and place on table where I will clean my gun(s).
    Have never had any bleed through even using just 1 target.
    (At least I don’t think I have had bleed through)

9. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I’m sure they work phenomenonly, but I’m not buying adult bed wetting pads.

Why not just buy some tampons, hemorrhoid cream, and diarrhea medicine to round out the experience.

1. avatar SouthAl says:

Beat me to it. Use a tampon as a bore snake.

1. avatar Gunr says:

If you bought a “Hillary” size tampon, you would need a field cannon for it to have a proper fit!

2. avatar Wood says:

I distinctly remember having to buy tissues, NyQuil, Imodium, and preparation H all at the same time. The cashier greeted me, “how are you today?” and I responded “isn’t it obvious?” She looked at my haul, laughed apologetically and said “I hope you feel better baby”

3. avatar Tony says:

LMAO!! This one made my night!

10. avatar John Eden says:

You guys seen this wikileaks e-mail yet? https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/238

Hillary is going to violate the law imposing “liablity” on manufacturers via executive order and even she cannot legally close the “gun show loophole” without an act of congress she is going to try it anyway.

1. avatar strych9 says:

The juicer bits come from her leaked speaches IMHO.

1. avatar neiowa says:

The true Hellery only comes out when cash buys it. Like every other marxist they the $ more than anything or anyone.

2. avatar Tony says:

What really scares me is that no matter what, no matter how loudly me and everyone else shouts the danger from the rooftops, no matter how many of us turn out to vote, no matter how obviously guilty she is, no matter how obvious it is that she should already be in prison, Hillary is still going to win.

I’m voting for Trump on Nov. 8th, and I’m hoping for a Briexit moment, but I have bad feeling Hillary is going to win.
      As my buddy keeps pointing out, we may have already lost the Republic, and if Hillary wins this election, we will never get it back again.

11. avatar Geoff PR says:

Who was it once said: “First, you forget to zip it up. Later, you forget to zip it down.” ?

Attributed to George Burns.

12. avatar former water walker says:

Heck I never felt embarrassed buying feminine”items” for the Mrs so why do I give a damn what some minimum wage drone cashier thinks?It helps to look old. Even regular baby diapers from Aldi’s would work- and those are ultra cheap. Still a good tip. ..

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

I bought some white nail polish for color filling the markings on my AR lower. But I bought a dozen magnum condoms at the same time to balance things out.

2. avatar Button Gwinnett says:

“Who cares what a minimum wage drone cashier thinks?”
      Exactly. I only care what men (not women) think who make at least $363,000.00 per year.

Oh, wait. I don’t care about them either.

13. avatar Thomas says:

:-/

I just put a piece of Saran wrap down with a white towel on top.

I throw away the Saran wrap and, when necessary, wash the towel.

Seems cheaper to me.

– Thomas

14. avatar Sam I Am says:

Depends for guns. Whodathot?

1. avatar neiowa says:

Waiting for the camo backed special for guns tacticool version at $15 for 5. Or the orange colored FUDD model.

15. avatar Chris T from KY says:

Anything that saves me money is a great.
    Thanks.

16. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Reminds me a joke – stop me if you’ve heard it…

What does it taste like going down on a senior citizen…?

…Depends.

17. avatar RandallOfLegend says:

I clean my guns on an old push pin cork board. The cork absorbs fluids. And the wooden border helps contain any loose parts.

Bed pads for cleaning rifles. Depends for cleaning pistols. Panty liners for cleaning derringers. It all makes sense somehow.

1. avatar 7.62x54r says:

I have a friend (this is absolutely true) that uses a panty liner as a sweat band on the front inside of his golf hat.

1. Yeah, that guy’s a dickhead.

19. avatar achmed says:

Really good idea, thanks.

20. avatar Charlie says:

Or you could use an automotive fender protector and cut up an old pair of jeans to put it on top of it.

Just saying. 🙂

21. avatar Joe R. says:

Jaw, jaw, jaw. . . All the posters just added them to the shopping list. ??

22. avatar slow joe crow says:

I use old store counter mats that are foam backed plastic. They are non-absorbent but very tough. I’ve also used a mechanic’s fender cover, the material is softer and it has raised welts to keep stuff from rolling off. The only issue is that my mats are black, so I sometimes put paper on top for contrast.

23. I hear Hillary Clinton’s “bodywoman” (sapphic sister) Huma Abedin uses these after their nightly trysts and when changing her boss’ soiled adult diapers.

24. avatar JimV says:

I just use the New York Times, that’s about all it’s good for these days.

25. avatar Tom in PA says:

That is a great idea – thanks for sharing that! You have improved my life (pathetic, I know).

26. avatar Docduracoat says:

Nobody uses those rubber mats with the exploded gun parts diagram on them?
    I have one that has lasted 15 years
    Extra cool factor if the gun you are cleaning is the one depicted on the mat

27. I use shelf liner. A 20′ roll can cover a lot of surfaces. I cut a piece for dice games and I have several pieces ready to use for gun cleaning mats. I like the taupe color so you can find your black pins and springs easily.

28. avatar Gunr says:

Wait! What, you guy’s actually clean your guns? And all these years I’ve been wondering what that stuff labeled “Gun Grease, Hoppe’s #9, etc., was for. Well I’ll be dammed! Learn something every day.

29. avatar Fred Frendly says:

Or you could fold up an old towel and save 8 bucks.