New From Henry Repeating Arms: Two Shotguns and a Single Shot Rifle

This Henry infomercial is worthwhile if for no other reason than it demonstrates, for those who aren’t aware, the surprisingly wide range of guns in the New Jersey-based gun maker’s lineup. And that range is about to get a little wider with the addition of three new offerings for next year. At about the 19:50 mark, Henry impresario Anthony Imperato spills the beans on the addition of smoothbores to Henry’s repertoire.

The latest: the Henry Lever Action Shotgun in .410, which will be available in a couple of barrel lengths. They’re also adding a single shot model chambered in .12, .20 and .410 gauges.

shotgun

Another Henry first: a non-lever action rifle called, logically enough, the Henry Single Shot Rifle. That one will be offered in a variety of calibers including .308, .223, .243, and .45-70 and will also hit the stores next year.

singleshot

Want?

comments

1. avatar Ken says:

I think the lever action 410 would be special and unlike what is available elsewhere. I want one as it would go perfectly with my lever action Henry rifle.

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

I would also love a lever .410.

Side note: Come on guys .12 and .20? That’s as bad as .9mm

1. avatar WTF says:

.12 gauge lobs 8 pound slugs!

1. avatar Michael Green says:

Not sure that I understand your post.

2. avatar MouseGun says:

As someone who owned the Rossi rio grande 410, I can tell you that the novelty fades pretty quick. Barrel and choke wasn’t all that great for hunting, you couldn’t plug it to two shots to make it legal for water fowl, and 410 is just so dang expensive. You can get to boxes of 12 or 20 gauge shells for the price of one box of 410.

1. avatar Ken says:

I like the novelty of a lever action shotgun but the only reason I want a 410 is that I’ve never had one and I already have a 12 gauge, a 16 gauge and a 20 gauge. I have a pump and two single shots and I don’t want an automatic.

1. avatar Nagurski says:

Looking at the single shot, there seems to be another lever next to the hammer. Are they making a rolling block?

2. avatar SouthernPhantom says:

I’m wondering too. Maybe it’s the action unlock lever? I’d actually be more interested in a rolling-block than a break-action, especially a .45-70 set up for tang or ladder sights to emulate an 1880s target rifle!!

3. avatar Wood says:

They are made as you would wish. Uberti makes a nice reproduction.

4. avatar Peter Charles says:

Winchester made a lever shotgun in the 1890’s. A friend owned one. It was very slow to chamber next round after firing. Not that good an idea after all.

3. avatar Peter Charles says:

I wonder if Henry would make a better survival rifle/shotgun combo the .22/.410 like in . say .22 Hornet and 20 ga? Make it a takedown too. I’d buy one, and any others would too.

2. avatar A Brit in TX says:

I know relocating isn’t a quick or cheap process, but why are so many firearms manufacturers located ‘behind enemy lines’?

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Once upon a time, they were free states.

You know, before FDR and the fascist revolution.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

That’s true for most of the gun manufacturers in the northeast, but Henry started making guns in 1993 – long after it had been made clear where gun rights stand in New York and New Jersey. The Imperatos are New York guys, though, and I think they just didn’t want to leave the NYC area (Henrys were made in freakin’ Brooklyn for the first decade or so!).

But even Henry understands how the political winds are blowing in their home state – they now have a big facility in Wisconsin.

2. avatar John Eden says:

Fascist revolution? You sound like a Marxist.

Unfortunately it’s liberalism taken to its logical conclusion, not fascism or communism, that has befallen us.

2. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Because the gunmakers and the machine tool industry grew up, side-by-side, in the small New England/NJ/NY industrial towns with water power.

Most people forget that before the 1900’s, machine shops were powered by line shafts that ran the length of the shop, and you’d power your lathe, mill, grinders, etc with a leather drive belt that came down off a wooden pulley on the line shaft. Well, the gun makers located in New England because the small hydro power resources were available, so then the machine tool industry grew up alongside them. Today, if you need machines or tooling in New England, New Jersey, the eastern PA region – you can have ANYTHING you need literally in hours.

Once that business infrastructure and support is there, it’s a pretty big barrier to just up and move. Take Magpul as an example: they single-handedly kept some injection molding support companies in the Denver area in business. They need those shops close by to support their business. That’s why the HQ of Magpul was able to move to TX, but the actual production moved to Cheyenne, just over the state line – but still only 90 minutes from Denver.

Moving a gun company away from the machine tool, tooling, steel and other support businesses is a huge increase in cost.

As a guy in rural Wyoming who needs machine tooling support occasionally, I’m here to tell you that putting a company that uses machine tooling into Wyoming is a big, big uphill push – because if you need (eg) an end mill resharpened today, if you need a new CNC probe today, if you need various machines serviced today – because not having those things means that your production line comes to a stop – well, you’d better not move to anywhere but the southeast corner of Wyoming. In the rest of the state, you simply cannot obtain that support – at any price. It’s a huge barrier to economic development and attracting gun companies to relocate to these areas.

1. avatar Brick says:

For what it’s worth, Imperato himself has said something very similar. His “support network” of vendors and such is excellent in Bayonne.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

I guess he never heard about this new thing called “same day air delivery.” Like UPS and Fedex do. But hey, if the tax breaks are good, why be concerned that your employees and their neighbors cannot legally own the product you manufacture?

2. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

“Same day air delivery” means nothing when you need heavy things, inputs in bulk, etc.

And, I would add, there are many places in the intermountain west where there is no “same day” service. Oh, FedEx, UPS, DHL and the USPS will sell you and charge you for “same day” service… but there will be no “same day service,” even in good weather.

3. avatar junkman says:

They also have a plant in Wisconsin

3. avatar MadMedic says:

Looks like someone is trying to fill the hole in the market left by H&R.

1. avatar Hank says:

Yep, and glad to see it. I was mulling a single shot H&R in .243 for my daughter when they shut down. I might have to rekindle the idea.

2. avatar TruthTellers says:

Absolutely and Henry’s quality is very good. The only questions this leaves are: is the single shot a break action and if yes, will Henry offer an extra barrel option like H&R did?

Then there’s the price thing too. $300 for a break action single shot is asking a lot for something that probably only costs $100 to produce.

1. avatar Antietamgw says:

Before NEF/H&R closed down, their pricing was well over $200, the quality variable and generally crap. If Henry can (and I’m sure will) keep the level of quality up, just the superior wood makes the price reasonable compared to the old NEF/H&R. I was a Handi user, to the point that I built a few barrels on stubs and lugs I machined. And a tight SOB to boot. I’d happily pay $300 or a well made single shot with nice wood, and then likely spend 2/3 of that again to make a barrel in .357 mag or .32 H&R. Value is an individual choice. Aim small.

3. avatar BLoving says:

H&R made a .45-70 with a tang-mounted creedmore type rear sight and (I think) a bubble level front sight; sorta reminiscent of nice Sharps for long range work.
      C’mon Henry, y’all gotta give us that option. I’d love such a rifle wearing the Henry name.

1. avatar SouthernPhantom says:

I’d strongly consider buying a rifle in that configuration for the right price.

4. avatar Stinkeye says:

I’ve wanted a lever-action shotgun for some time (though would prefer 20 gauge to .410)… You have my interest piqued, Henry…

I do find it mildly amusing that Henry Repeating Arms is making single-shots now…

1. avatar mk10108 says:

My chuckle for the day.

2. avatar Hank says:

Hate to bring this up, but… Mabye they’re investing in the future?

5. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Singe shot shotguns would be great for trap, if they weren’t so darned light. Mass is your friend when you’re going through four boxes of 12 gauge in an evening. Weight, balance, ergonomics and fit are all very important in the clay sports.

I have no idea if Henry has a clue how to make a good shotgun. Their rifles are fun to shoot but not exactly wonders of ergonomics. So I wouldn’t buy one unless I had a chance to put a few boxes of shells through it first.

6. avatar gargoil says:

Nope

7. avatar notalima says:

I’d be interested in both the lever .410 and the single-shot rifles.

I have a few Rossi single shots (youth) that I started my boys on. The work just peachy for that, but their build quality and accuracy are fair at best (yes, I knew that going in).

I’ve got a Thompson Contender and a few barrels, but I’d like to have something priced between the two…

8. avatar Accur81 says:

Man, I wish Henry had a side loading gate.

1. avatar Anner says:

I’d pay extra for that addition, and an all-weather model in 357mag.

1. avatar Jon in CO says:

This. All Weather .357 would be amazing. I want the 45-70, but I have no idea what I would do with it other spend a lot of money on ammo.

9. avatar William says:

I want them to make a really small, super lightweight single shot rifle in .357 mag. Oh and it’s got to have sights on it, preferably aperture but I’ll settle for buckhorn.

10. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

i think my salt gun is .12 gauge.
    with the .20 you could use up all those old sheridan pellets.
    lets hope they design a lever action .9mm.

1. avatar DO says:

10mm lever action would be better; I am building a 9mm AR which IMHO is better for the AR-15 platform than a lever gun.
      But why not both?
      After all, more is better when it comes to firepower, platforms, and calibers.

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

i agree, but i suspect you are missing the point…

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Duh, me. .9mm strikes again…

2. avatar Wood says:

You want 10mm in a levergun, that would be a .41mag.

2. avatar Clark45 says:

The gauge of the shotgun is the number of balls that size to make up one pound, right? 12 gauge makes 12 slugs out of a pound, 20 gauge makes 20. So a .12 gauge shot gun would require more than 8 pounds of lead to make a single slug! Now that mutha will have some kick!

11. avatar TruthTellers says:

Price is going to be a factor here with the single shot rifles. H&R/NEF and Rossi priced theirs around $150-$250 and Thompson Center something around $800. For $250 or less, you can’t beat a good single shot rifle, but going above that price is putting it up against budget bolt guns like the Savage Axis, Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot that are lighter, have faster follow up shots (hunting isn’t the focus when I mention this) and are generally very accurate for the money being spent.

I can see why H&R was shut down because the competition from those bolt guns is very stiff, but Freedumb Group ain’t got a clue how to do anything other than destroy a brand and a company.

12. avatar Montesa_VR says:

If you go to Henry’s web site you can order a free catalog that features the new guns. They don’t go on the market until January.

13. avatar jwtaylor says:

Dibs on the single shot review.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

You’re enjoying your reviewer job just a *little* to much, Jon… 🙂

14. avatar Perry says:

I spoke with over Mr. Imperato in 2008. I had a problem with one of their pump rifles. He personally called me at home at 8PM of the same day that I made the complaint – – he apologized for the problem and offered to send a replacement lever action (of higher grade and higher cost) to make it right. During that call, I recommended that he build a lever action 410 – – specifically, I said that I would buy three (one for each son). I guess I had better get the check book ready! Henry is a great company – – they make great products – – they deserve high praise. Mr. Imperato is a gentleman and a professional. Bravo!

15. avatar zaphod says:

Their FIRST non-lever action rifle?

They have pumps, bolts, and semi-automatics; and have for a while.

If it’s a gun, a firearm, AND a rifle, but in 22LR; even at TTAG it doesn’t count?

16. avatar Rem870 says:

The single shot shotgun would be interesting but I don’t think that I want one.

17. avatar BC says:

I think they need to look at The H&R section on graybeardoutdoors boards to get a feel for what consumers want in a singleshot rifle.

18. avatar jstert says:

how about single shot chassis with barrel options, including pistol caliber?

19. avatar Hoff says:

Technically, isn’t it correctly referred to as a .410 “bore” rather than a .410 “gauge”? Were it measured as a gauge, as are its larger stablemates, wouldn’t a diameter of.410″ be about a 30 gauge? No big. I’d love to have one anyway. You guys are great! BTW, my father, mother, uncle, cousins, brother and I all worked for Herters in Waseca, MN many, many, years ago.

20. avatar Cal says:

Those single shots look pretty good to me. A decent quality .308 with a 22″ barrel, measuring under 40 “, weighing around 7lbs, and with the option of using irons… To me that is a pretty darn practical hunting\ trapline rifle, those are numbers worth packing around shells in your pocket for.

21. avatar James rye says:

Thanks Henry for responding to my email why don’t you do what you say you do?

22. avatar Wally1 says:

I am anticipating a single shot .308. Will probably buy one. I hope the quality is the same as other henry rifles. Price compared to a Ruger #1 is great. Hope they shoot as well.