Springfield Armory Daily Digest: Buying More Guns, Lauding the Auteur, and Recording Your Digits

gun-purse-ladys-hand-afp-640x480_1

springfield-crosscannon_2016-small

Now what would give gun owners the idea that anyone wants to take their firearms?” NY Sheriff: Pistol Permit Applications Surging Over Fear of Government Action Against Guns – “Albany County Sheriff Craig Apple says pistol permits in New York are surging due to fear of coming government action against guns. ‘I think there’s a great fear that the country is leaning towards some sort of ban, [and] people want to beat the government to the punch,’ Apple said. ‘We’re getting rocked with applications. You wouldn’t believe the amount of people who want their pistol permits.’”

clown
Fort Wayne Man Dressed As Clown Shot In Head; Condition Critical – “A man dressed as a clown was shot on the city’s south side midday Sunday. The shooting was reported just after 10:30 p.m. Sunday at 4801 Plaza Dr. Fort Wayne police were called just after 10:30 p.m. Sunday to an address at 4701 Plaza Dr., near Standish Street just south of McMillen Park, on a report of a shooting there. When police arrived they found a man in a clown costume shot in his head in critical condition.” With the rash of creepy clown sightings around the country — and no, we’re not talking about the presidential campaign — something bad was bound to happen.

tx-film-sc-640x424

Of course he does: Obama Honors Texas Student’s Film Calling for World With ‘No Guns’ – “A Texas high school student has been invited to the White House by President Obama for his film that highlights a man who says “I want to live in a world where there are no guns” and where he does not ‘have to worry about getting picked on by the police.’”

screen-shot-2016-10-04-at-7-27-55-am

Your evergreen headline of the day: Gun sales hit 17th straight monthly record, up 27 percent – “Gun sales hit the 17th consecutive monthly record in September according to FBI data released on Monday, and overall sales are up 27 percent compared to the same period last year. A total of 1,992,219 background checks were processed through the bureau’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System for the month of September, higher than the 1,795,102 conducted in September 2015.”

oc_a1fd_californabadyear_main_10-2

Oh wait…here’s another one: California’s Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Year – Last Friday marked the final day for California Governor Jerry Brown (D) to sign legislation. The good news is that Brown vetoed some anti-gun bills. The bad news—and there’s a lot more of it—is that in this election year, Sacramento politicians who wanted to pretend they were “tough on crime” pushed through every kind of gun ban you can think of, while also supporting laws that decriminalize real crimes and lower sentences on real criminals. As Chuck Michel, an attorney who works with the NRA and the California Rifle and Pistol Association, explained, “The Democrat leadership that controls the legislature twisted every Democrat’s arm and forced them to vote party-line. And they broke every procedural rule there was in the process.”

a-jpg-2

Mayor Jake Day says we need more clarification before banning replica guns – “‘Does Maryland federal law allow municipalities and local government to create and pass ordinances that restrict the sale of toy and replica guns. There is some federal law that articulates what the design can be for not and replica guns,’ said Salisbury Mayor, Jake Day. ‘There may be prohibitions and restrictions on that but it’s also possible that that is not the case so it’s important that we get answers to those questions.'” Wait…an elected official trying to determine if he has the authority to enact a law before supporting or voting for it? What’s happening in Maryland?

screen-shot-2016-10-04-at-7-39-08-am

Special Report: Guns and serial numbers – “The goal, Wakeland said, is to hopefully link cases and analysis together. He just has to go about it in reverse fashion. One thing that would make the process easier would be if gun owners would write their serial numbers down. That way if they ever are stolen or lost, if recovered in a crime they could immediately be tracked to the original owner.” Do you keep a record of yours?

comments

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

For insurance purposes, I keep a record of all my gats on a thumb drive that is password protected. Including scopes, slings, rings, mounts, mags… Kinda handy.

1. avatar jwm says:

I wish I’d had a water proof inventory. What with the disastrous boating incident. Who knew water could burn?

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

ah, yes. the biblical cleanser.

2. avatar Ebby123 says:

You mean your serial numbers were typed into a digital device at one point??

*Cue black helicopters*

3. avatar tdiinva (Now in Wisconsin) says:

I have photographed the serial numbers and printed off hard copies. If need be I can Clintonize my computer.

1. avatar pwrserge says:

Might I recommend Thermite… You can’t recover a hard drive that’s a pile of slag. (Also convenient as you can do it in the privacy of your garage on the concrete slab.)

2. avatar pwrserge says:

Keeping a record of your guns is basically asking to be the victim of an anti-gun fascist. Any requirement to do so is unconstitutional due to 5th amendment issues.

1. avatar Matt says:

I doubt I will be able to produce or remember a 32 character password under duress, so good luck to them in cracking it.

There are legitimate reasons to keep your own inventory… you don’t have to share it with everyone.

3. avatar jwm says:

Clowns creep me right the fuck out. As do centipedes and anything bumping or brushing me in the water.

Still, it ain’t right to shoot a clown just for being a clown. Totality of circumstances I guess.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

Story linked above is BS.

1. avatar jwm says:

Noted. But I’m still creeped out by clowns.

1. avatar Pennywise says:

Come now, Clowns are people too.

2. avatar Cliff H says:

Clowns are people
          Politicians are people
          Politicians are clowns

Isn’t that how the logic string works?

2. avatar Steve says:

How about a centipede wearing a clown outfit?

4. avatar Jack says:

I mail a current list of all my firearms to the local sheriff and the ATF the first of every year. Just in case. I figure they’ll be able to help me out if they get misplaced.

When I was a high school student, I wanted X-Ray vision.

Now that I’m an old timer, I want to live in a world where there is no gravity and where I do not have to worry about falling down and breaking a hip.

I also want to live in a world where high school students aren’t @ssh0les.

1. avatar kevin says:

Every criminal in the world also wants to live in a world without guns- occupational hazards, and all that.

2. avatar Jomo says:

I’d rather live in a world where the politicians weren’t a-holes, the. They wouldn’t encourage this shit.

3. avatar Bill says:

X-ray vision sounds awesome to young men. Until you grow up and realize that all it would show you is a bunch of lady skeletons.

6. avatar strych9 says:

Unless there are other issues with the clown thing, like he was accosting people or waving a weapon or facsimile weapon around, this sounds like straight out 2nd degree murder.

I wish the news media would wait a bit on stories like this until they have actual facts other than “guy in creep clown costume shot in the head by motorist in white SUV”. Generally speaking, I can’t imagine that someone shot this guy in the grape simply because he was dressed like a creepy clown as Halloween approaches.

7. avatar former water walker says:

A rash of retarded clowns in Chicago (no not the Tiny Dancer). Supposedly tried to kidnap a child today. Pretty damn stupid to die for some YouTube bit…speaking of clowns-does Bury Soetoro seek out young turds like this boy and the Moose-lim clock boy?!?

1. avatar Ing says:

No, he has people to do that for him.

8. avatar Hannibal says:

Guys, the clown story is a hoax. Come on, take a look at the website and see what other ‘stories’ they’re running.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

(for example: Angelina Jolie has decided to send all her Children back to Orphanage, Woman Wearing too much Makeup Confused for Clown and Attacked by Mob, etc)

1. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

“woman wearing too much makeup confused for clown and attacked by mob” ….funny as phuc#, but likely bullsh!t.
        Were it true……..drag queens would be likely targets, Priscilla queen of the desert WATCH OUT!!!

2. avatar strych9 says:

I’d generally agree. However, numerous reputable news organizations ran with this story because it was falsely attributed to a real local news network and the got they Chief of Police’s name right.

This story was on the local news here in Denver earlier today.

Sorry, I have shit to do other than track down every single story and figure out if it’s true or not. I don’t get the whole “clown craze”, and as I said in my OP I can’t imagine why someone would do such a thing (shoot a clown) but today I’m gonna get maybe 20 minutes of non-studying internet time total. I simply don’t have the fucking time to figure out exactly what’s real and what isn’t when the local TV stations 1100 miles away are taken in and reporting it as fact.

We live in a world where people go nuts and eat someone’s face and that just happens to be real. Pardon the pun, but on it’s face, this story was more believable than a guy getting his face eaten by a crazy guy because who just lets someone else eat their face?

This was fake. It was trolling. It was, however, expert trolling.

9. avatar Docduracoat says:

There was a world without guns
    It was called the Middle Ages
    And guys with axes came in boats and stole your stuff and kidnapped your women and killed the local police
    They were called Vikings
    They day after guns disappear, those guys will be back

10. avatar Rick the Bear (now in NH!!) says:

“You wouldn’t believe the amount of people who want their pistol permits.’”

This is my shocked face. I guess that SAFE act doesn’t make people feel better.

““I want to live in a world where there are no guns”

Well, then you’d better stay away from the White House. They’re a shitload of guns there.

11. avatar Porter says:

The people have stopped going to lefty-holly-wood land for ‘ action ‘ …. only to be lectured by minimally talented actors how we should all disarm and ” just wait for police “. NO !! As I watch the VP debate , Kane interrupts Mike Pence every 3 seconds like a 5 year old with fingers in ears yelling – “…La … La… La …can’t hear you ……”
    The American People Now KNOW , there is no rational discussion with dis-armists ….. NONE. So we take our popcorn money to the range , and we Dismiss holly-wood & media. — We don’t need them … they NEED US …!!!!

12. avatar KDB says:

I dislike the Brownells ad that keeps coming up at the bottom of my screen. It can go away anytime. Try to dump it and it jumps around!!

13. avatar junkman says:

Have a record of everything, done to the last .22LR round

14. avatar Crowbar says:

My dislike of clowns started with Bozo when I was kid. Never saw the appeal then, still don’t today. I keep a record of my ammo only. So I always know what I have and if I am running short on anything. Short being 1000 rounds or less. And last, I wonder if any of these BLM asshats realize that they are a big part of why people are running out to buy weapons. I want to live in a world without jerkoffs like him and his father Obama.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Some of the BLM rioters…err, I mean peaceful protestors touted taking the riots…um, protests to the “white” neighborhoods.

Doesn’t seem like good idea to me; that’s likely were all those OFWG Zimmerman wanna-be’s who own all the assault weapons live.

15. avatar Bob392 says:

“I want to live in a world where there are no guns”

Hmm, like the medieval times where feudalism ruled most parts of the world, and if you weren’t of Nobel birth, you were likely a serf or a slave. You know, a time where the strong ruled the weak, where atrocities beyond our imagination happened to the majority of people. Or, is he referring to the time of the Roman Empire. Now that was a grand ole time for most people. You know, the majority, who were usually enslaved under the most brutal masters. Is that the life this kid is an advocate for? Guns made it so that even the weak can resist a corrupt government.

16. avatar BigDaveinVT says:

“Guns made it so that even the weak can resist a corrupt government.”

…and yet here we are.

17. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

“I want to live in a world where there are no guns” and where he does not ‘have to worry about getting picked on by the police.”

That’s easy, it’s called being a well-to-do, upper/middle class, white liberal.

If Micheal Jackson taught us anything, it’s that you can be born a poor, young, black boy and grow up to be to rich, old white woman.

18. avatar EJQ says:

Yes, I have a written record of every gun we own, with serial numbers.

19. avatar Wiregrass says:

What the hell is Maryland federal law? I know they act like it but when did Maryland secede and become their own country?

20. avatar Chris Morton says:

“A world with no guns”?

In other words, a world ruled by large, strong men armed with edged weapons and clubs who robbed, raped and murdered with impunity?

I think we tried that.

It was called the “Dark Ages”.

1. Did you ever S.M. Stirling’s Emberverse series?

21. avatar Mike Betts says:

Clown lives matter.

22. avatar Anon says:

Special Report: Guns and serial numbers. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I miss something? We are an FFL and we get, from time to time a note or call from ATF, for this serial number, where did you purchase this firearm from and who did you sell it to?

It’s called an ATF Trace. This guy is scamming the City of Charlotte and the reporter.

You don’t need to keep a record, the ATF already has a paper record and FFL’s have to provide info or GOODBYE license. Or did I miss something?