New from Meprolight: FT Bullseye GLOCK Red Dot Rear Sight

Meprolight FT Bullseye (courtesy makogroup.com)

Every once in a while I come across a new product that blows me out of the proverbial water. The last time that happened: when I caught first sight of the SB Tactical Brace. An entire firearms genre was born. OK re-born, in a SBR sans ATF kinda way. And here’s something that seems equally revolutionary: the Meprolight: FT Bullseye.

The Meprolight red dot rear sight for handguns combining fiber optics with tritium. Day or night, “when the dot is centered in the circle, you’re on target,” the presser proclaims (below). As you can see the new sighting system doesn’t require a new holster. If this thing works, and works well, it could well become the new standard for handgun sighting systems. Then again, I owned a Pet Rock.

————————————————————————-

Meprolight FT Bullseye (courtesy makogroup.com))

Farmingdale, NY -(AmmoLand.com)- Meprolight’s engineers solved the issue of bulkiness with normal pistol red dot sights by combining fiber optics with tritium.

The innovative FT Bullseye is a sleek, low profile single rear sight, which helps shooters to get on target, faster, in all lighting conditions. With this inventive design, there’s no need for a front sight; it’s all in the red-dot. When the dot is centered in the circle, you’re on target. It’s as simple as that!

The low-profile design sets it apart from other micro sights and allows the shooter to pull the gun from the holster without having to worry about snagging a shirt or jacket on the sight.

Meprolight FT Bullseye (courtesy makogroup.com)

“It’s a real breakthrough in sight design”, “ I’ve never seen anything like it. You acquire the target quickly”, are comments frequently heard when experienced shooters use it for the first time. The combination of fiber optics and tritium make it effective under any shooting condition. Day or night, you’re good to go.

A shooter normally acquires the target by aligning the front and rear sights. Meprolight combined the dot and the circle on the rear sight, eliminating the need to use the front sight. Whether in competition or in defensive situations, the goal is to place rounds on target quickly and accurately. The FT Bullseye’s design is intuitive and allows the shooter to quickly and accurately get on target. When milliseconds count, give yourself the advantage.

Meprolight FT Bullseye — Red Dot Sights for Glock Pistols

The FT Bullseye is available in orange or green dot/circle for all Glock models including suppressed. Meprolight guarantees the tritium to last 12 years, which makes it the perfect sight for law enforcement, self-defense and competitive shooters. MSRP $199.

For more information visit http://www.themakogroup.com/ftbullseye.

The Mako Group

About The Mako Group:

The Mako Group is the exclusive U.S. distributor of the finest tactical equipment and weapon accessories that have been proven in combat. Designed for law enforcement agencies and militaries worldwide, Meprolight night sights and optics, FAB Defense weapon and personal defense accessories, Front Line Holsters and RTS Target Systems, are available at firearm retailers everywhere. Connect with The Mako Group on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to stay up-to-date on the latest news and products.

For more information visit www.themakogroup.com.

comments

1. avatar pwrserge says:

Ok… That looks AWESOME.

I’d love to see a review on this thing. It could a a great solution for suppressors that does not require absurdly large sighting systems.

1. avatar Mainspring says:

Too bad they are’t conventional suppressor height. With my MOS and Trijicon, no flat hard sights are worth considering. But of course, YMMV.

1. avatar younggun21 says:

It did say fits all Glock models including suppressed. Not exactly sure what that means but I would assume that means that they do have a suppressor height model that would take care of suppressed handguns.

2. avatar Pwrserge says:

I’d say that it doesn’t need to be “suppressor height” you bassically sight through your suppressor. Since you’re not using the gap on either side of the sight to line up your target anyway, it’s perfectly acceptable. It’s sort of how you use the bindon aiming concert when your the line of sight to your red dot is blocked by a barricade.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Yeah, we need a review. Once the dot is centered in the circle, I can guarantee you won’t hit your target unless that target is brought into the picture somehow. On top? Straight ahead? And how is it adjusted?

2. avatar Robert Farago says:

They’re sending us one next week. Allegedly.

3. avatar pwrserge says:

It’s the same way you hit your target with a covered red dot. Your other eye fills in the blanks. I do this all the time in VTAC drills. A great drill that I’ve learned is to cover the front of your red dot with a cap and try to put rounds on target. Your brain adapts to the blindspot really quickly.

4. avatar AndrewinDC says:

Agreed. Sighting through a suppressor isn’t as difficult as one would imagine. I wouldn’t want to shoot a bullseye competition that way, but for practical accuracy it works out pretty sufficiently.

5. avatar Pat Wilson says:

BIG QUESTION where is your sight picture to know where you are going to hit your target?? The sight will indicate that you are level and centered but how does that relate to your target. Need more information…show the sight on an actual target. NEED someone to actually give a review of this seemingly good idea.

2. avatar GRDRANE says:

Wow. Maybe they did reinvent the wheel.

1. avatar WuzNtMe says:

Actually, they just bought or borrowed the idea from an Israeli company called Tactical Aiming Solutions…
      Look up the TAS Glock sights.

1. avatar Matt says:

So they make the same for twice the money, sounds like a good deal for themselfs.

2. No, they just built a better mouse trap. No offense to Anymouse.

3. avatar Texheim says:

Interesting

4. avatar GAODCOLT says:

I may just have to try this on my new G19. They look to be a great alternative to an RMR, am I right in the belief they would have similar characteristics; this and the “RmR” or similar red dots?

1. avatar pwrserge says:

Red dots would still be better as sight alignment is not as critical, your eyeball is able to pick up the dot even if your head is not precisely aligned with the line of fire.

5. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Pretty darn similar to this one from 3+ years ago:

…wonder if they’re licensing the design/patents and such. They’re both Israeli companies.

1. avatar JT says:

Probably. That or Microlight bought them. Either way this isn’t new.

2. avatar Shire-man says:

For less than half the price no less:

New version for slightly more than half the price:

Something’s fishy when somebody re-releases a thing and labels it as the best “whatever” since ever.

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

ever. at all. ever.
        if i ever (at all) get a legal can, this seems like an easy way to get on target.
        but i sort of like a sight radius myself.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

“i sort of like a sight radius”

You’ll get over that as your eyes age,

2. avatar MamaLiberty says:

Thanks for the links, Shire-man! I was annoyed to see that the Meprolight thing was only for “Glocks.” Good to know there are some for Springfield XD as well. I have plain, out of the box sights on my XD, and these look like they’d be a distinct improvement. I bought a regular “red dot” attachment some time ago, but it is so far only good for dry fire. Attached to the gun, I can’t holster with it and one round fired throws the alignment off anyway, so it’s no good to carry. This one sounds like a winner.

Now I just have to save my pennies until I can afford one. 🙂

3. avatar Brian says:

The difference is this new one has tritium to work as a night sight

1. avatar Mark says:

In addition to tritium, Meprolight added an optical lens and enhanced the dot/circle reticle so you can pick up the sight faster. They also shortened it somewhat. T.A.S. collaborated with Meprolight on this project. I’ve learned they are working together on other projects too.

6. avatar BDub says:

Better choice than tall sights if you have a silencer, but I wouldn’t call it a red-dot, as its not giving you a projected dot over a clear picture of your target.

I worry about taget acquisition speed, however. Generally its faster to find your front sight and place it over the target and then adjust the unfocused rear-sight to line up with it. This system forces you to focus on the rear sight and then adjust the front till you can find the dot, then put the dot on the target without losing the sight alignment. That strikes me as much, much slower.

1. avatar SteveInCO says:

Based on this description–you’d better be a natural “pointer” with the gun in question, because if you’re more than a tiny bit off, that dot will be out of sight and you won’t know in which direction. It’ll be like hunting for a deep sky object in a telescope, not knowing which way it is when it’s out of the field of view.

1. avatar BDub says:

Exactly, its not like you have a cheek-weld to get you behind the dot quickly.

2. avatar Rabbi says:

Having tried a red dot on a handgun I expect that this will be the problem

1. avatar DangerMouse says:

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. I could definitely see “fishing for the dot” being a problem with these.

3. avatar NWGlocker says:

Going to add my +1 here. Dot fishing can be annoying. We’ll see if this design is any different.

7. avatar anonymoose says:

Didn’t See-All already do this? The See-All isn’t as low-profile as this though.

8. avatar The Monomanic(Ing) Gray Ghost Man Parrot says:

Don’t tell Cali-Zim or Illini-Zim about these sights, may lead to even more armed confrontations than usual.

1. avatar RocketScientist says:

Honest question… what the hell are you referring to? I know you’ve been (attempting to) troll this site for awhile, and I’ve seen you’re diatribes. But I’m not sure if the whole Cali-Zim and Ilini-Zim thing is some reference I should get, or if this is an in-joke, that you started in a much earlier comment that I missed? You seem to fall back on this “joke” (meme? cultural reference?) a lot, but I can never tell form context what the point you’re trying to make with it is. All I can gather so far is California and Illinois (chicago) are known for strict gun control laws… and Zim might be a reference to George Zimmerman? But beyond that I can;t figure out what you’re doing. Any explanaiton would satisfy my curiosity. Thanks.

9. avatar AR says:

Interrogatory

So why don’t we have BLUE sights?

I saw something on Sportsman or Outdoor Channel where somebody got the rights/clearance/somethingorother to have blue light pipes.

Certainly not too effective on shotguns/skeet/trap/sporting clays on a BLUE SKY, but the human eye picks up blue better in low light than red/green/orange, etc.

Hence LEO’s get BLUE LIGHTS on their roofs-and you can see them from WAY off.

Blue, it may become the new tritium (which doesn’t come in blue).

1. avatar pwrserge says:

Actually, your eyeball is most sensitive to the green portion of the spectrum. Don’t believe me? Go take a look at two .5 mW laser diodes, one green and one blue, I guarantee you that the green one will look brighter.

1. avatar SteveInCO says:

While that is true, blue is known for wrecking night vision, and red is not. Your eye really responds to it and not in a good way (where “good” is defined as being able to see faint objects at night).

I suspect you’ll want something, anything, with a lot of *contrast*. (Which is why it sucks trying to hit a black paper target with a gun that has no dots on its black sights.)

That might be an argument for using red, rather than blue. Something to ponder.

1. avatar pwrserge says:

The reason red doesn’t wreck your night vision is that your eye is actually very poor at picking up the ~650nm portion of the spectrum. This causes your pupil to stay dilated and allow the maximum amount of light in when that portion is all that is available. Green is a great compromise because your pupil reacts to total light rather than how bright any single portion of your FOV is. So while your green sights may emit very low amounts of light and not trigger your pupil, they will still look bright as hell in lowlight conditions.

2. avatar jsallison says:

Last I knew the army had pretty much replaced red interior lights on combat vehicles with blue. S’posed to be less visible to image intensifiers, iirc.

3. avatar int19h says:

When you get to the point where night vision is in play, you actually don’t want the sights to be too bright, so that you can actually see things other than the sights (like, say, the target). I find that most tritium sights, dim as they are, already do a good job – and some are uncomfortably close to “too bright”.

2. avatar Robert Farago says:

Meprolight offers the sight in green.

1. avatar Rusty Chains says:

Robert – Looking forward to your review. My G19 has a set of tritium sights that are well past their prime and in need of replacement. Had been thinking about going with a set of the Big Dots with the dot the i tritium layout, but this might be better for my eyes since I have worn glasses to correct nearsightedness since my first grade teacher caught me closing one eye to read in class.

I’m green color blind. Green looks kinda white or sorta beige to me.

3. avatar Mark says:

Robert,

Did you receive your FT Bullseye? I confirmed that it was shipped.

2. avatar The Monomanic(Ing) Gray Ghost Man Parrot says:

To take a contrarian role, why do I need night sights on my Glock 19? I’ve never seen the point. If I need night sights, I’m not taking a shot as I would be unsure of who my target is. Point and shoot at defensive distances. No sights needed.

1. avatar Frijoli says:

Not shooting in blackness, just dark. Nights sights make a HUGE difference in dusk conditions.

2. avatar Frank in VA says:

Lets say you have some night lights in your house, or moonlight coming through the windows. It’s not all pitch black. You hear a door forced open or window broken, and find yourself some cover in a darkened space, your weapon ready. You wait in the darkness, ready for them to step into the light….

1. avatar The Monomanic(Ing) Gray Ghost Parrot Man says:

Nice fantasy. Point and shoot. It’s really not that complicated. Take cover, use a shotgun and get it over with.

3. avatar c4v3man says:

My dad purchased a colt 1911 9mm competition pistol that had blue fiber optics from the factory to match the blue grips… absolutely worthless as a fiber optic color, he replaced the rod a few weeks later. red, green, or yellow… thats all you ever need.

10. avatar other chris says:

They’ve had this for bows for a while now. Been wondering when they’d make it for pistols. Good to know I can still steal ideas.

11. avatar Frank in VA says:

I guess I’ll have to try it to be convinced, because I have trouble imagining this as being faster than traditional front and rear night sights in the dark. Especially when your eyes are going to be primarily on the target under duress and sight alignment can begin peripherally with trad night sights as your gun is coming up to target.

12. avatar Tex300BLK says:

Really cool idea, I’ll be interested to see how forgiving the eye box (for lack of a better term) is on it. If the dot is really sensitive as far as small movements left/right up/down then this will be more frustrating than anything else.

That’s the appeal of a traditonal red dot, you follow the front sight as you draw and present and that guarantees the dot will be visible when the gun is level and aimed at the target.

13. avatar Boyardee says:

I hope it works. I hope it works. I hope it works because I wasn’t one for my G26.

14. avatar Gregolas says:

Meprolight makes good, reliable equipment. This looks like it could really be an advantage, and half the cost of many lasers.

15. avatar Darrell_KS says:

Maybe a set of these could show up on the caption this photos. Hint hint

16. avatar Dm says:

I fail to see how this could possibly be faster/better than a single front night sight but I am interested in seeing a review.

“Then again, I owned a Pet Rock.”

My Pet Rock ate my Chia Pet. I haven’t let it back in the house since then. But I did find it out in the yard with a bunch of pebbles.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

H’mmm. I still have my Pet Rock.

Obedient little bastard, sits perfectly still and never moves when I tell it to ‘sit’… 🙂

18. avatar PeterK says:

Huh. Could be awesome. I guess a review would help.

It’d be fun to do a handgun sight roundup. Pricy though. And probably not that helpful since they are so subjective.Still. I said fun. 🙂

19. avatar Sian says:

Willing to give this a try.

20. avatar John says:

Works until it becomes filled with mud, sand, etc. then you’re done.

1. avatar The Monomanic(Ing) Gray Ghost Parrot Man says:

Yeah, that happens to my Glock all the time. Not really. Some of you guys live in an online fantasy world. Dreaming of firearm scenarios, but not living them like Cali-Zim and Illini-Zim. Point and shoot folks, it’s not that complicated. B

1. avatar Tile floor says:

What you have to remember is that a lot of people on this site have jobs (military combat arms, LE, contractors, armed security, etc) where many of the scenarios that can play out go beyond point and shoot. And for those who are not in some sort of gun toting profession, they carry a gun to be prepared, and being prepared for more than just shooting a dude 5 yards away could save their lives one day. If you were in a situation similar to the pulse shooting, a crowded, dark environment do you really think it will be as simple as point and shoot like you’re at a gun club?

1. avatar The Monomanic(Ing) Gray Ghost Man Parrot says:

I have a better chance of winning Powerball with a single ticket than needing night sights on my G19.

21. avatar Dan says:

The sight radius is at most an inch. On a standard Glock the sight radius is several inches. On a rifle it can be measured in FEET. The longer the sight radius the MORE ACCURATE THE SIGHT. This may be a good idea
    but can it work in the REAL WORLD at any distance to speak of.

1. avatar psychoboy says:

If they are targeting the quick draw self defense handgun market (and looking at the fitment list….I think they are), its only gotta be accurate to about twenty feet.

Honestly, point-aiming is generally accurate enough at that range.

What this will do, basically, is verify a point-aim, possibly make it a little more accurate

You look at your target as you are drawing. You bring the weapon up in a standard point. When the dot appears in your target picture, it becomes your sight picture, and you get a light telling you the gun is actually aimed where you think you are pointing. Opposed to looking from your target to the front sight and following the front sight back to the target, this seems slightly better..or at least a little more reassuring that your bullet will go where you think you are pointing.

It’s not as theoretically accurate as a projected laser, but its easier to use and probably more accurate than standard iron sights.

22. avatar Rwag66 says:

Farago, Leghorn and the rest of you, you do a really great job of sorting out our issues so we can make a much better choice than we could without you.
    I have NO experience with anything other than peep or open sites; wearing mono vision contacts with astigmatism, which makes some red dots I’ve looked through almost psychedelic. I request you attempt to address that kind of issue in your tests, and I would like to see a comparison with the speedsights.com that you tested some time back, I thought I wanted.
    How about a handgun sight system shoot off?
    Thanks!

23. avatar RickP says:

Not sure I’m wanting to stare at the rear of my gun and put the target even more out of focus.

24. avatar gargoil says:

i call extreme BS

25. avatar Mark says:

Meprolight was intrigued by the TAS sight and purchased it from them. The engineers from TAS worked with Meprolight on the FT Bullseye and some other projects which are coming down the pike. Be interesting to see what the combined efforts show.

On the Bullseye, they shortened it, added an optical lens, added tritium along with the fiber-optics to enhance shooting capabilities in day/night and added the dot/circle bullseye reticle.
    With the improvements, you can’t compare pricing to the TAS sight. Red Dot sights for pistols ride high on the slide and cost $300 and up. $199 isn’t that bad.
    Disclaimer: I work for The Mako Groups ad agency, which also was the reason I received a set to use. Whatever sights you use, you need to train and practice.

1. avatar TJ wyo says:

Good information. Practice. With practice optics line up. Without practice you will be dot fishing. Red dots need to be turned on. Tritium is always on. Side note re blue/red issue. Years ago the aviation industry studied colors for runway lights for best visibility. That’s why they are blue.

26. avatar Verbal Guinea says:

Kinda the same concept as the See-All Open Sight, but much more compact.

1. avatar Mark says:

In the broad sense, you could say the concept is similar but the See-All Open Sight was not designed as a pistol optic. Since it was designed to fit on a pic rail, my guess its primary intention was for rifles but secondary was pistols provided they had a pic rail. The FT Bullseye was designed as a combat pistol optic. The sights are designed to fit specific model guns. The illumination is generated via fiber-optics or tritium…the low profile allows you to keep/use your current holster.

27. avatar Mark says:

Yesterday, The Mako Group announced its annual Black Friday Sale, 30% off on everything. That brings the cost of the FT Bullseye down to $139.99. Pretty good pricing. Go to the website, http://www.themakogroup.com and enter Promo Code BF30.

28. avatar Mikial says:

Long time Glock carrier here . . . yes, this looks interesting enough to do some research.

29. avatar Nat Plaza says:

Hi. My wife made an error with her recent order in an online shop. She did not realize that she ordered a meprolight ft bullseye for Springfield. It is supposedly a surprise for me but she confessed it to me already when she realized she made a wrong order. Mine is a Glock pistol. My question is, will it also fit Glock pistols? The item is already in transit here in the Philippines. It is too hassle to return the item back to the seller and have it replaced. Thank you

30. avatar Hydro Muscle says:

You made several fine points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found most persons will go
    along with with your blog.