Gun Hero of the Day: NERF

If gun control advocates had their way, there would be any toy guns. The forces of civilian disarmament can’t always get what they want, so toy guns there are. And top of that list: NERF guns. They are, in fact, the average American’s hands-on entry into our vibrant gun culture. Walmart admits — yes admits — that NERF guns are one of its Top Toys for 2016.

“Hundreds of kids, ages 18 months to 12 years, were given the chance to play with some of the year’s hottest toys and pick their favorites,” Walmart officials told tmj4.com. “This one-of-a-kind playdate lead to this year’s Chosen By Kids list – the top 25 toys of the season.”

Chosen by Kids? One can only imagine the “politics”  underlying the retailers’ choice of toys for the kids. What about total retail sales? Why doesn’t Walmart doesn’t just straight-out list the top 25 toys in order of popularity? Because PC cake and eating it too.

NERF N-Strike Elite Hyperfire Blaster (courtesy walmart.com)

Anyway, assuming you’re on acid when making the comparison, the Nerf N-Strike Elite HyperFire Blaster has a bit of the Tavor and P90 about it. Maybe that’s why it made it onto Walmart’s “Thrill-Seeker” category; including toys that “allow kids to take an adventure right in their own homes.”

No matter what the antis say about the dangers, guns are fun! As long as boys have testicles and girls seeks revenge, you can’t stop the foam ballistic dart/signal. I wonder if the MIA Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America civilian disarmament jefe Shannon Watts’ kids grew up with NERF guns. I bet they did.  Did you?

PS Are backwards-facing baseball caps making a comeback? Only bell-bottoms would be worse. (Ask your Dad.)

comments

1. avatar Brandon says:

Maybe an unholy union of a Tavor and P90? Yes, I do have Nerf guns. None of them are stock either, the electronic ones all now run on 18650 batteries and have the internals re-wired to remove the safeties, and the spring driven ones have the springs preloaded with a few coins. It increases the incentive to not get shot.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

A true gun guy. Modifying it to make it run better. ?

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

OOo. How do you modify something to take 18650, I am a big believer but that means I *seek* items which use the battery, I had no clue of modifying!

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

4 D batteries means 6 V in series. 2 Li-Po batteries in series is 7.4 V.

You’re hot-rodding it by over-volting the motor by 1.4 V.

(NOTE – Li-Po batteries require special care. A proper charger and the battery itself must be protected from over-discharge. Google for info.)

How long it will last in that configuration is speculation…

1. avatar sagebrushracer says:

lithium batteries are require proper care and feeding, LIPO doubly so. I have not had a lipo fire even with my R/C adventures, but once a LIPO guts is exposed to oxygen, the reaction is toxic to breath and flames will often appear. Also, LIPO batteries DO have a minimum voltage and tend to catch fire if you try to charge one that has died to zero volts. they also have a storage voltage, never store them fully charged, it will hurt them.

3. avatar Removed_californian says:

This post intrigues me.

4. avatar Brandon says:

I’ll do a little write up and submit it with pictures. Basically you just need a soldering iron, solder, the batteries, and the battery sleds. I also swapped out all the wiring to 16ga wire, but that isn’t entirely necessary. I disassembled the gun, removed all the secondary safety cutout switches and routed the wiring to externally mounted battery sleds. I did keep the integrated battery compartment in the loop too so I still have the option to run it on AA for use when playing with my youngest son. The only downside is that if the motor is spun up for too long it starts to overheat, and because of the increased velocity it wears out the darts faster.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

You could potentially really hot-rod it by replacing the motor with one made for R/C cars and rated for 7.4 V or 11.1 V.

Upgrade the plastic gears with metal, etc, etc.

Just sayin…

5. avatar Mark says:

Check out Orange Mod Works. I’ve been running their mod kits in my spring guns and they are the bee’s knees.

2. avatar Bernard says:

Well, politics is downstream from culture.

3. avatar other chris says:

Backwards hats have always been popular with 10-20 something year old boys.

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

poochie as fashion plate.

4. avatar NorincoJay says:

I still own a NERF gun a N-Strike Elite. Bad guys beware.

5. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

Living in Florida and having motorcycle insurance allows one to ride without a helmet. Placing one’s cap backwards, keeps it on the skull at most speeds. get to destination, flip it bill forward…..or not, whatever floats your boat…….

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

If we ever get open carry here in Florida, it would be really cool for a motorcycle to have a leather scabbard with a hog-leg or a cut-down lever-action…

6. avatar notalima says:

Nerf battles reach epic proportions in my house.

I may or may not have built a NERF armory in the closet in the boys playroom. My wife says I built it to impress my boys’ friends.

Yeah, that might be true 😀

Now I need to go look up the 18650 battery conversion mentioned above…

7. avatar Mr. Woodcock says:

Not sure what toys Shannon grew up with….but I’m sure the ones she has now are a lot of fun for her.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Wow, you have to wonder if she’s heard about the world renowned 18650 mod, stronger, faster, longer lasting and quicker recharge.

Mr. Woodcock, is that you, Dirk?

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

I’m guessing probably not Dirk.

Dirk tends to not capitalize in TTAG…

2. avatar Mr. Woodcock says:

Nope…..not Dirk. He needs no battery operated assistance to meet Miss Shannon’s needs.

NERF guns first became available around the same time that I graduated from college, so I did not grow up with NERF guns.

For my less lethal ballistic pleasure, I relied on home-made linoleum guns. Believe me, you did not want to get hit by one of them. Ever.

I also made some mean slingshots. Still do.

The NERF niche was filled with water guns and spring loaded dart guns that fired a piece of plastic tipped with a suction cup.

1. avatar tsbhoA.P.jr says:

zulu blow gun. inhaled a couple of those darts.

9. avatar Andrew Lias says:

As much as I want to be a “guns are not toys” house I will probably end up with a few for the kid. Ironically it will probably be the liberal wife who ends up getting one.

10. avatar LarryinTX says:

Why is “led” constantly translated to “lead”? It’s really irritating.

11. avatar Nanashi says:

At least they aren’t sideways baseball caps. THOSE are the worst.

12. avatar jwm says:

Corduroy bell bottoms. An affront to nature and man. We were there, man.

13. avatar samuraichatter says:

If Bieber had a son . . .

14. avatar Kevin W. says:

Backwards hats mean nothing. What I don’t get is how the F people wear baseball hats with a straight bill! No, that is now how you wear a cap. I rank that right up there with man buns and skinny jeans…

15. avatar Hannibal says:

I could swear that thing has a shoulder thing that goes up.

16. avatar Max G. says:

My office has a “No Weapons” policy which includes guns, knives, etc. However, upper management has no issue with NERF guns, as a lot of my coworkers have them and shoot each other with them. It’s all fun and games until someone gets shot in the eye.

17. avatar Mike says:

Just painted my sons NERF in FDE, except the orange tip.
    He wants more Nerf guns this year, catching up to my real gun collection.
    At least it gets him “shooting”

18. avatar redj41 says:

I still have (among other nerf guns) the ballzooka I was gifted on my 7th birthday. I’m just waiting for my son to be a little bigger and it will be his.

19. avatar Bill says:

Nerf guns are a whole other world gun culture . If you look at Nerf guns from an engineering aspect they are quite a feat of design.From a simple cock and fire to full on electric motor belt fed toy marvels .The best toy gun we had in the fifties was the Mattel Fanner 50 that shot little plastic bullets.

I have purchased many Nerf guns for myself just to dis-assemble them to see how they work. They truly are plastic mechanical wonders.

Want to step into another gun world ? visit http://www.facebook.com/NerfHaven/ The nerfhaven site is down right now so all that is up is their FB page. This is a great site to see mods on nerf guns.