Irresponsible Gun “Owners” of The Day: Daqarion Hunter and Marsavious Frazier

kalamazoo17s

Daqarion Hunter, left and Marsavious Frazier via Facebook.

Kalamazoo, Michigan was home for 17-year-olds Marsavious Frazier and Daqarion Hunter, today’s Irresponsible Gun “Owners” of The Day. The two upstanding citizens idled their time away Monday evening after dark. A witness said they amused themselves “just playing” with a handgun in an alley.

Sadly for the duo, playtime turned into negligent discharge time. Cops don’t know which of the pair depressed the trigger the first time, perforating his chum’s coconut, but the round thoroughly scrambled the recipient’s omelet. Seeing the profound and sudden loss of consciousness, and no doubt distraught at realizing his buddy wasn’t going to wake up from “playing around”, the second young scholar turned the gun on himself.

Cops say the gun was unlawfully possessed by the pair. Irresponsible acts such as this give law-abiding gun owners a bad name.

Marsavious’ mom posted this photo of her son on Facebook while lamenting the loss.

14212655_10153945251270642_4495360996494403280_n

The New York Daily News reports:

Michigan teen kills self after fatally shooting friend while playing with gun

A devastated Michigan teen killed himself after fatally shooting his friend by accident while playing around with a firearm, police and eyewitnesses said.

Marsavious Frazier and Daqarion Hunter, both 17, were found in a remote alley in Kalamazoo with gunshot wounds around 9 p.m. Monday, cops said. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.

It was not immediately clear who fired the lethal shots but an eyewitness told investigators one of the teens caught a bullet after a gun was being “played with.”

The second teen then became “distraught” before turning the gun on himself, the same witness said, adding there was no argument or scuffle before the tragic shooting.

comments

1. avatar Rad Man says:

I stopped reading after “Daquarion” and “Marsavious.”

1. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

It’s hard to take someone seriously with a name that sounds like a tropical viral disease or some kind of tribal chieftain from the 12th century.

1. avatar JAlan says:

Not exactly their fault. There is a child out there named Dovahkiin, and let’s not forget the tragedy of guys named Keith.

1. avatar Ing says:

That’s actually a cool name. In a nerdy sort of way.

My favorite ridiculous names are Barkevious, Hughtavious, and L’Carpetron — who are brothers, believe it or not. Barkevious is (or was) in the NFL; you can look it up on the internets if you want.

2. avatar HP says:

When my one friend had a baby, there was apparently a newborn in the hospital who’s name was pronounced “Shi-teed”. The spelling was “Shithead”. I’m not making this up.

3. avatar Rad Man says:

Barkevious Mingo is playing for my beloved Patriots this season. He looks pretty good too.

4. avatar Oshinay Mayes says:

fuck anyone on here who thinks this is funny marsavious was my brother you guys are cruel and selfish and obviously very ignorant

5. avatar JustSomeGuy says:

Sorry for your loss and it certainly isn’t funny, but I’m afraid it was your brother and his friend who were ignorant. He and his friend were apparently playing with a device they did not understand and lost their lives because of it. Guns are not the simple devices that young men on Facebook and YouTube make them out to be. They are potentially deadly tools that demand respect and they are incapable of showing mercy to those who fail to do so.

Prayers for you and your family,
          JSG

2. avatar strych9 says:

It gets worse than that. A friend of mine used to volunteer working with Section 8 housing inhabitants doing stuff like driving them to doctors appointments and whatnot.

He met a lady named her daughter “Chlamydia” because she thought it sounded pretty.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

“Herpes” probably sounded too Greek.

2. avatar strych9 says:

Well played.

3. avatar george from fort worth says:

mah sister-n-law once worked at a “free clinic”. she had herself a client with twin boys named ‘boya’ and “boyb(boib)”. the mother said those were the names assigned by the hospital when the twins were born: “boy-a” and ‘boy-b”. sister-n-law swears on a stack a’ hooch it is a true story.

4. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

My favorite…

La-a

Ladasha…

5. avatar Dan V says:

Went to middle school/high school in a black neighborhood (magnet/public schools). Met me a real-life BONEQUISHA.

6. avatar Jomo says:

One of my mom’s coworkers was named Clitora. I shit you not. Sadly, my family was not immune as my sister named my nephew “Dontarius Dkwan”. I sometimes want to go out to the middle of my mother’s street and shout out, “for @#$%’s sake, people! If you’re going to try to be ‘African’, at least go to the library, logon to the computer, and find an actual African name instead of this made up bullshit!”

2. avatar Nativeson says:

A good start to urban renewal in Kalamazoo. And it didn’t cost the taxpayers a cent.

1. avatar Wes says:

but who pays the coroner?

3. avatar mk10108 says:

My chuckle for the day.

4. avatar Klaus says:

A couple of nice kids from the neighborhood I’m sure.

5. avatar Charlie Mike says:

Off topic and onto names. That’s got to be the speed record for missing the point. Good work.

1. avatar JayCeezy says:

Point is so obvious, it need not be discussed further. The crazy nomenclature of ‘the community’ that thinks nothing of two young men with a handgun in an alley on a Monday night, and guarantees that these children will never be part of the larger successful American culture…now that is worth discussing.

2. avatar s says:

Accident while playing with gun my posterior!
        These two guys just could not live on with their names and decided to end it all.

6. avatar ActionPhysicalMan says:

I give the parents credit for trying something different. Plus making up names sounds fun, especially if it will cause that kid, who is going to cost you a ton of money and grief, some grief. I liked the scene where Raul Julia named the baby Pubert in “The Addams Family Values”. If I had had a kid I’d have probably named them something like Prevaricus or maybe even Derp.

7. avatar ndfamily says:

I’m wondering who told the “playing with a gun” story. Both participants were deceased, no?

2. avatar Matty9 says:

This is why real men stay around to raise their sons to understand and respect firearms and the safe use thereof.

Also to keep mom from picking the dumbest A$$ names I’ve ever heard.

3. avatar Rick the Bear (now in NH!!) says:

I’m sure that they were just about to turn the handgun into the police when it, being an irresponsible and evil assault gun, “went off” striking down these innocent young men. Or not.

4. avatar jsallison says:

Sue would actually be preferable.

1. avatar Rick the Bear (now in NH!!) says:

For which one? 8>)

1. avatar Danilushka Ozera says:

Sue1 and Sue2

2. avatar Cliff H says:

More likely “Sue” the gun manufacturer. If not for them this never would have happened.

5. avatar Kevin b says:

#BlackFathersMatter

1. avatar JR_in_NC says:

Oooh, nice.

This hashtag needs to go national/global.

I can just imagine the feminist “single mothers are equal to intact families” outrage … so win/win.

2. avatar Marcus (Aurelius) Payne says:

Stroke of goddamn brilliance, that is.

6. avatar former water walker says:

Oh well…at they can’t kill anyone else. Although it sounds more like a lovers quarrel…

7. avatar DanC says:

murder suicide pact.

1. avatar barnbwt says:

I can empathize; if I woke up named that, I’d want to kill myself, too, and probably anything else nearby of similar stupidity.

8. avatar former water walker says:

They were both cursed with ghetto names. Never name your kid something you made up. The only good thing no one else died…

It’s very sad to say, but some people are just too stupid to enjoy a long and productive life.

10. avatar dlj95118 says:

—Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!—

Cold, but true.

11. avatar JR_in_NC says:

“Cops don’t know which of the pair depressed the trigger the first time,”

Those cops have never heard of GSR analysis?

It’s unlikely the first one shot pulled the trigger the second time, so unless they are arguing it was a dual suicide, it should be pretty clear who pulled the trigger first.

GSR will tell the tale. Either they both have it (and in the proper forehand-backhand proportions) or only one does.

1. avatar John Boch says:

Really?

Honestly, I wouldn’t waste another ounce of resources on the deaths of these two twits. Neither of them would cure cancer or discover the cure for stupid.

John

1. avatar Greg in Allston says:

However, they did find a cure for their own personal stupid. So there’s that anyway.

2. avatar John Archibald says:

You Sir, win the best comment of the day….

3. avatar JR_in_NC says:

John Boch: It’d be worth it to me to do the analysis, or at least the field test version of it, to avoid looking like a moron by saying they don’t know.

Or…not bring it up in the first place. It’s just a stupid statement. The field test technology to answer that question has been in existence 40 years AND is cheap and field portable.

4. avatar John L. says:

“Neither of them would cure cancer or discover the cure for stupid.”

You’re half right…

12. avatar Ing says:

If the gun was possessed illegally, why should that give law-abiding gun owners a bad name? Nothing in this sad scenario had anything whatsoever to do with legal gun ownership.

1. avatar strych9 says:

You don’t pay much attention to the antis or the media do you?

1. avatar Ing says:

Actually, I do. I just wonder why *we’re* saying it.

1. avatar strych9 says:

Point taken.

13. avatar Not that William Jefferson says:

Nothing like flashing gang signs as a 4-year-old.

Good riddance. Flush ’em like turds down the drain.

14. avatar Swarf says:

Not even a little respect for these two dead kids? You’re going to make fun of their names?

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Respect is earned.

Ridicule is also earned, sometimes posthumously.

2. avatar uJonathan - Houston says:

They’re 17 years old. They’re damn near grown ass men and certainly old enough to know not to play with guns. They deserve as much contempt as the comedy well is deep.

1. avatar barnbwt says:

Old enough to have changed their names by now…

1. avatar John L. says:

Heh. I changed my name – legally, in front of a judge and everything – when I was 12.

2. avatar Matty9 says:

YEP! they are NOT kids, they are (were) young men. Unfortunately for them and their families, poorly trained for that roll.

#rollmodelsmatter_especiallyintheghetto

1. avatar Archangel187 says:

ROLE models. I’m sure many in the ghetto have “roll it up, light it up and smoke it up” models.

15. avatar MrAninnyMouse says:

Wait…. a girl in Texas shoots a schoolmate and then offs herself and the media go hog wild (cuase it’s Texas?)
    But Marsupial Freezer and Aquarium Hunter do the same thing and it’s an ND?

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Aquarium Hunter… Marsupial Freezer… I just snorted Pepsi.

16. avatar strych9 says:

You can’t make this stuff up.

Condolences to the families but… Jesus you gotta be dumb to do something like this.

17. avatar junkman says:

Killed themselves before someone else———-

18. avatar Curtis in IL says:

“Cops say the gun was unlawfully possessed by the pair.”

In other words, they weren’t gun owners. They were gun thieves.
    So… inelligible for this award.

Also… I’m surprised no one before me has mentioned Charles Darwin, who predicted this would happen, for the betterment of the gene pool.

19. avatar Hank Chinaski says:

Sounds like that scene from ‘Heathers’.

1. avatar RogUinta says:

Was any mineral water found at the scene???

1. avatar indirect Action says:

No, but there were lots of Skittles. Slightly splattered with blood.

20. avatar Amfivena says:

Is it harsh if my first response was ‘Hey, at least the shooter took some form of responsibility for his actions’?

21. avatar Bud says:

I once made an arrest on Chicago’s west side where one of the youngsters’name was Female (pronounced FE- Mah- lee). When I asked who picked out her name, she told me that when she was born, the hospital had already named her on the birth certificate

1. avatar 16V says:

I wonder if she was in STL in the late ’80s. A friend of mine had a “Female Washington” working for him. I didn’t believe, until I looked at her I-9 form.

2. avatar Mark N. says:

An old roommate of mine once held a job as a baby photographer that took pictures at various malls. Th mothers would write down their childrens’ names, and then he’d call them up when their turn came. Once day he called out looking for Throne and his mother. When he finally connected with the right mother, she was all huffy because he’d mispronounced her baby’s name. “His name ain’t Throne. His name be Tyrone.” She spelled it out: “T-H-R-O-N-E. TAH RONE.”

1. avatar Tal says:

LOL.

I can see here in all her glorious single “motherhooded” fatness now.

22. avatar Nanashi says:

They removed two criminals from society. I don’t think that’s all too irresponsible.

I think former Mississippi police chief Mike DeNardo is a much better choice for IGOoTD (or a mention) who sold police resources under the table.

(bonus points for how the Associated Press calls one of the sold weapons an “assault rifle” and says it’s unknown if the buyer knew it was illegal when covering this story)

23. avatar george from fort worth says:

ain’t this whut thay call “threat neutralized’?

24. avatar MarciaCrowley says:

10 thousand years ago there were no irresponsible gun owners. I wonder why.

1. avatar Dev says:

Because there were no guns bacl then? I don’t get what you’re trying to convey with your attempt at snark.

2. avatar Curtis in IL says:

No drunk drivers, either.
      No computer hackers.
      No airline hijackers.

What the hell is your point?

“10 thousand years ago there were no irresponsible gun owners.”

And no dumbass commenters either.

4. avatar Cliff H says:

According to Biblical scholars it was only about 5,000 or so years ago, but there was an opportunity for an “Irresponsible rock owner of the day” award.

“History does not repeat, but it does rhyme.” – Mark Twain.

1. avatar Button Gwinnett says:

IROTD was Cain.

1. avatar John L. says:

Oh, I’m pretty sure he used the rock just as he had intended to.

25. avatar Dev says:

Oddly enough this unnamed witness who say them playing with the gun can’t say who shot first. I’m betting the witness is the murderer.

26. avatar indirect Action says:

This story is 100%win.

27. avatar 36IDRedleg says:

This is, at a minimum a Darwin Awards Honorable Mention

28. avatar Adub says:

This is why you shouldn’t field test a Taurus safety.

I kid, I kid. Got two Tauri, they work fine.

29. avatar Marcus says:

The world done lost two ob dems brainz dokters likes how dey doo on dems telebizshun shows…
    Da ambolampses could do nuffins t’ saves dems chill’uns…

30. “IN THE GHETTTOOOOO! in the ghettooooo!” –Cartman

31. avatar Ted Unlis says:

There is a living breathing human being from East Texas who’s Momma named him “Shithed”, no bull$#it, scouts honor, swear to God.

32. avatar Dr. Vinnie Boombotz says:

Well, there goes their shot in the NFL draft…..

1. avatar rt says:

Notre Dame has a wide receiver named Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown.

1. avatar John L. says:

Don’t step on the ‘Tep!

33. avatar Tal says:

How do they come up with these names?

then you go the Africa and run into guys named “George” and “Paul” lol.

I’m calling it though. It was a murder/suicide and they were gay lovers.

34. avatar Bollocks Troy says:

You’re all racist, redneck, gun nuts bwhahahahah!

35. avatar Lemonjello and Orangejello says:

Daqarion and Marsavious….. just doesn’t have the same ring to it as Maverick and Goose.

36. avatar the ruester says:

Society likely convinced him that a young black man could never avoid a murder conviction in this situation. If only he was keen on white liberals, he would see that he would have been able to spin this into a lifelong career, crusading for safe storage laws. Instead, he listened to BLM, invoking the spectre of the “war on young black men,” and chose death over a lifetime of incarceration.

BLM killed him. Is what I’m saying.

37. avatar Southern Cross says:

They certainly weren’t rocket scientists, nuclear physicians, or brain surgeons.

38. avatar Dave in NC says:

So sad. Their names could have graced our paper currency notes one day in the distant future.

1. The only “currency” these two pickaninny’s names and faces would have graced is toilet paper after SHTF.

Th! Th! Th! That’s All Folks!

39. avatar Brad says:

Gentlemen, please don’t make our gun culture seem ignorant because a name doesn’t sound Anglo enough for you. Jonathan, Darlene, Samuel, Gina, and Keith all sounded ridiculous at some point in history.

1. avatar george from fort worth says:

ah think it all started with,”i gotta girl named ramalamalamalamadingdong”.

2. avatar Matty9 says:

…..and back in THOSE days, no one used those names, unless they wanted their kids ridiculed.

The difference is, these names are dumb NOW, and momma chose them anyway.

40. avatar The Pontificator says:

Let me guess…both were “Just starting to turn their lives around”. (rolleyes).

Think of the money saved by not housing these two in prison which they were no doubt headed.

41. avatar jwm says:

Who says you can’t fix stupid?

42. avatar TS says:

I work with many African men. I have met their wives. In 10 years ,I have yet to meet a person from Africa that has any kind of name that we hear American Africans naming their children.
    Most of the Africans will tell you that if “sent back to where they came from” they wouldn’t last 3 days.