New From Ruger: Ruger American Pistol Compact Model

2_1

Some have complained about the Ruger American Pistol’s ergos and/or its looks. Our man Jeremy was a fan of the gun — save for its trigger re-set. Now, to compliment the original duty-sized pistol, Ruger’s announced a compact version. We won’t know about its trigger until we try one, but to our eyes at least, it’s a better looking beast. As a more concealable 12+1 with an MSRP of $579, they’ll probably sell like hotcakes. Here’s Ruger’s press release:

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE-RGR) is proud to announce the addition of the Ruger American Pistol® Compact model. This new model is chambered in 9mm Luger and is available in both Manual Safety and Pro model configurations. Originally introduced in December 2015, the feature-rich Ruger American Pistol was designed with the latest U.S. Military standards in mind and was tested in the harshest environments to ensure the rugged reliability consumers have come to expect from Ruger.

4_1

Ruger polled law enforcement and military trainers throughout the country to select the form, function and features of the Ruger American Pistol. The resultant pistol combines a recoil-reducing barrel cam (which better spreads recoil over time) with a low-mass slide, low center of gravity and a low-bore axis to provide better balance, less felt recoil and less muzzle flip than comparable pistols. The Ruger American Pistol also features a pre-tensioned striker system, which allows for a short takeup trigger with positive reset, and a modular wrap-around grip system that adjusts palm swell and trigger reach to fit a wide range of hand sizes.

With a 3.55″ barrel, overall dimensions of 6.65″ long, 4.48″ high and a weight of 28.75 ounces with an empty magazine, the Ruger American Pistol Compact model shares all of the features and rugged reliability of the duty-size gun in a smaller, lighter, more concealable package. It ships in a hard case with small, medium and large replaceable grip modules and two nickel-Teflon® plated steel magazines (one 17-round extended magazine and one 12-round compact magazine).

8633_1

The American-made Ruger American Pistol is built on a rigid, one-piece, precision-machined, black nitrided, stainless steel chassis with integral frame rails and fire control housing. Additional features include genuine Novak® LoMount Carry three-dot sights, a stainless steel slide with non-reflective, black nitride finish, a one-piece, high-performance, glass-filled nylon grip frame and a mil-standard 1913 accessory rail.

For more information on the Ruger American Pistol Compact model, or to learn more about the extensive line of award-winning Ruger® firearms, visit Ruger.com or Facebook.com/Ruger. A full line of duty and concealment holsters, replacement sights and rail-mount accessories for the Ruger American Pistol are available through ShopRuger.com or your local independent retailer of Ruger firearms.

comments

1. avatar Rokurota says:

1.5″ wide? Even if you take off the safety levers, it’s probably still pushing 1.3″ The SR9c is only 0.9″. Even a 9mm Glock is 1.18″ at the frame bulge.

1. avatar RandallOfLegend says:

1.5″ wide when you measure over the manual safety on the RAP. 1.19″ at frame bulge, but unlike a Glock the grip is tapered. The RAP compact is in the same size class as the SR9C.

2. avatar FlamencoD says:

According to the image on the Glock website, the slide on the Glock 9mm is 1.18″ wide, and the frame appears slightly wider, at least that is how it is illustrated: https://us.glock.com/products/model/g19

The frame is probably 1.3″ +/-.

2. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

Looks better than the full size.

So does this mean the SR Series is done?

1. avatar Swilson says:

I still see plenty of SR9’s and 40’s on sale at various place, including the CC versions. Don’t know if that speaks good or bad for the gun itself. I have the SR40, and it has always done right by me. It helped that I went to school with the LGS’s daughter, who now works there. I paid $325 for one, brand new. It’s not an EDC or anything like that, just another gun to have handy, but it does it’s job.

Not long after the SR series came out, they had to recall a number of the SR9’s due to possibly not being drop-safe. It usually can be hard to make a comeback from something like that, but a lot of people seem to really like the SR9c as a carry gun, so I doubt faith was shaken too much. Who knows, depending on how well the American has been selling, Ruger may just decide to focus on it. The SR series is pretty much a typical Cali gun (not sure if it is listed though), tons of safety features, loaded chamber indicator all that jazz. Maybe they’ll keep it around for some of the less gun-friendly states, or owners who desire all the safety features? Probably just a gradual phase out, like the P series.

1. avatar junkman says:

The SR Series is going to remain in production–the SR & American appeal to different buyers

2. avatar RandallOfLegend says:

Until they make an RAP 40 I will stick with my SR40C

3. avatar Crowbar says:

It really upsets when a company puts out a pistol like the SR, tons of people buy it, and then their new pistol comes out and they totally stop making parts for the former one to encourage you to buy the new one. Walther was good for this too. It’s why I love my Glocks. With the exception of the recoil spring assembly on gen 4, there is a lot modularity to the platform.

1. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

That’s why I think GLOCK perfection is real.

1: no major design changes which means you can swap parts, and keep using the same magazines forever. Also finding compatible magazines is effortless.

2: size efficiency. GLOCKs hold more rounds in the same size. They’re literally no bigger than they have to be to contain the operating parts and the rounds.

The RAP just looks like an SR that put on some muscle but also put on some fat. I didn’t mind the Chunktastic P Series, but even those were sleeker looking than the RAP.

The SR9c would still be my go to before this.

2. avatar junkman says:

Since the SR Series is not going out of production, parts are hardly going away–besides, with Ruger’s can not be beaten customer service, you will be taken care of

4. avatar junkman says:

NO–Ruger is not discontinuing the SR Series–it appeals to a different set of buyers & will be kept in production–even though I knew an American Compact was coming, I purchased an SR9C & a 9E; fabulous performing guns–they eat anything without malfunction, even mixing several brands/types in same mag–with 17 rounds you can do a lot of mixing

3. avatar David B says:

Ruger has just redefined the CCW market with this ground breaking design unlike anything else from anyone else. Folks, Ruger is showing us that plastic guns are the future.
    I’ll speculate but is it even possible that Ruger could push the envelope even more with threaded barrels or a .22 caliber version? The skies the limit with this new announcement.
    I can’t wait to see what else they have in store. I feel like a kid trying to peek behind the candy store counter trying to get a glimpse of fairy land in the back.

1. avatar NEIOWA says:

How about a 10/22 with a decent set of iron sights? Hint Appleseed – Sight-Tech.

2. avatar dph says:

Can’t tell if you’re joking or not.

1. avatar Brick says:

Dripping with sarcasm

1. avatar NineShooter says:

Sounds like an average gun company press release to me.

Note how the one in the article completely skips-over the width of the pistol.

2. avatar Swarf says:

You… you can’t?

4. avatar former water walker says:

Meh…that’s the future? If you say so…

5. avatar NEIOWA says:

$579 is the same price as all the other Ruger American.

6. avatar Swilson says:

I’ve heard a mixed bag on the American pistol. I don’t know if anyone reading this cares to share their experience. Seems like most guns, a lot of people love them, and a lot of people think they’re garbage. I have the full-sized SR40 and I like it fine, it’s a gun. A buddy is wanting to get the American, so hopefully I’ll be able to check it out first-hand. It’s profile makes it look like it could have an issue with snag, depending on how one would carry it.

1. avatar Michael says:

You nearly called it a tool…the special snowflakes here who are compensating for their “deficiencies” are going to have to run to their safe spaces…..

1. avatar Swilson says:

I must be pretty deep in my safe space, I’m not exactly following you.

1. avatar Michael says:

He said “its a gun”…that’s almost as bad as call ing it a tool which will drive some of the denizens of this website into fits of venom and stupidity….I was using sarcasm to warn him not to go there.

2. avatar Swilson says:

Ah, I didn’t pick up on the sarcasm. Well hopefully I don’t trigger anybody calling a gun a gun or a spade a spade.

2. avatar D. in OR says:

I got the RAP 45 when it became available early this year. I really liked how it fit, handled, and shot (hey, I was hitting where I aimed at. That was new to me ;)) Unfortunately it had two problems — the trigger safety pivot pin was walking out (despite of being pinned) and the barrel hood got battered very badly by the slide on the lockup surface (metal was pushed up forming a burr. Had about 100 rounds through it at that time.) First time back at Ruger they just fixed the pin, the second time they changed the barrel and fired 30 test rounds — causing the same problem to show up. Immediately went back for the third time. Now they replaced everything replaceable (!) Once back I left the gun at the store as a trade-in w/o even checking it (the whole ordeal took about 2 months, I was pissed.) Ended up w/ a CZ 97BD instead, couldn’t be happier.

1. avatar Frank in VA says:

“the barrel hood got battered very badly by the slide on the lockup surface”

Is this the same barrel peaning problem the SR’s had? My SR9c had the same thing happen, but only to a point, and it has never affected the gun’s function or accuracy that I can tell. If I ever want to sell it, I may try to get a free replacement barrel from Ruger first, for appearances. I would have expected Ruger to do some engineering to prevent this same problem in the RAP.

1. avatar D. in OR says:

Similar as far as I can tell. What concerned me was the amount of metal being displaced after only a couple hundred rounds, other manufacturers heat treat this surface or use different metal. I owned quite a few hand guns in various calibers, the RAP was the only one showing this problem.

3. avatar Hank Redhorn says:

I own the Ruger American , I actually got mine when they first came out through an LGS i’m friends with, and got it for a damn good price, to boot. I’ve owned the glock 17 (gen 4), the Ruger SR40 (which I was not fond of how snappy it was), and the M&P9. Compared to them, I really like how well the gun fills my rather large hands, and the ambi controls are a godsend for a southpaw like myself. Recoil control is excellent, even better than my CZ 75, or Jericho, and I can rapid fire this, and maintain bullseye hits easy at 10 yards. I’ve run close to 1,000 rounds without a single issue, from Remington UMC, to federal aluminum, to tul steel case, it just runs it all without issue. Only quirks is slipping the mag in slowly feels gritty, and can snag unless firmly smacked or popped in, and if you do decide to break it down further, there’s a trick to getting the damn assembly back in. Itsna very solid range and HD pistol, and I have no regrets for buying one.

7. avatar Matt in Oklahoma says:

Holds less than the G19 for the same size that it copied the striker fire design from. Yeah so once again they didn’t create anything. Disappointing

1. avatar Apresto says:

Something to consider is that in the unfree states, like mine, 10rds is the legal limit so it removes the capacity differences as an issue. It’s funny, I don’t think I’ve ever actually thought much about capacity in any pistol or rifle I’ve purchased because that right has been denied to me. It does make you focus on other stuff though.

1. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

If I was limited to 10 rounds I would definitely consider migrating to 10mm.

Come to think of it, a RAP in 10mm would be sweet.

1. avatar Apresto says:

I’m going to migrate to another state. Better idea.

2. avatar Jeremy S. says:

GLOCK did not invent the striker-fired pistol nor did they invent the polymer-frame pistol, and the RAP trigger mechanism and FCG has like zero similarity to that of a GLOCK.

BTW this RAP Compact is over a half inch shorter than a G19, and I think that’s with the extended finger rest baseplate on the magazine. I hope they’re offering that mag with a flush baseplate. That would “justify” the capacity loss and make the gun more concealable.

1. avatar David K says:

Jeremy, for what it is, a compact pistol in between G19 and G26, it is way too thick, way too heavy and the backstrap grip tang is not ergonomic but square and blocky. Many others in this type of cc pistol beat it in every way. I understand the full size for a le/military duty pistol, which is why it was designed (thought it is still too square and blocky and heavy). Dont foist it on us as a cc pistol. Very disappointed in Ruger on this one.

1. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

Nothing beats a GLOCK 19 in size efficiency. It might not even be possible to do so.

And the only way to match it is to make a GLOCK 19… so it’s possible nobody will ever try to go head to head against it. 😀

2. avatar junkman says:

Can’t admit it is a better gun, eh? Keep all your imported guns, I will keep all my 100% American Made Rugers.

3. avatar tdiinva (now in Wisconsin} says:

It is marginally smaller than a XD/m compact and marginally larger than a G-26. Not int he market for new compact but sizewise I would consider it if the XD/m compact didn’t exist.

8. avatar former water walker says:

Well guys I spy 3 on Gunbroker from $435 to 449. Pretty reasonable if it runs great…

9. avatar Michael says:

So ugly that even glocks are laughing….

1. avatar Swarf says:

I would call BS on this comment since, as a general rule, Glocks are incapable of laughter, but this would be laughter at another’s pain, so carry on.

… I feel like there is a word for that kind of glee…

1. avatar Ing says:

Probably a German word, because Glocks.

2. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Yes, I have to agree. There was an extra effort made on this pistol to make it look as ugly as possible.

10. avatar TruthTellers says:

Ruger American pistols blow.

11. avatar olivehead says:

Sorry, I like Ruger just fine, but with the RAP I can’t think of a polymer striker-fired that I don’t like more.
    p.s. Any way to permanently get rid of that Brownells ad that keeps popping up at the bottom of the page, then bobs up and down to avoid me closing it (just like the one begging for my subscription when I occasionally visit the NYT website?

1. avatar Swarf says:

AdBlockPlus.

2. avatar Justsomeguy says:

I was going to stop visiting this site because the ads were so bad they were affecting my computer. Unfortunately other sites were getting bad too. Ad Block took care of that problem Oddly their ads for TFF are hosted differently and I see those and I’ve been twice. Never bought anything for an annoying pop up ad.

3. avatar junkman says:

Adblocker works great

12. avatar Chief Master says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t like the looks of this thing? It looks like it desperately wants to be a Transformer.

1. avatar junkman says:

Looks great to me–can’t stand the Glocks & HKs

13. avatar Anner says:

A Glock 26 and an F-117 had a wild night together.

14. avatar John in CT says:

The sweet girl at the rental range I visited in TX was extremely positive on the RAP9 pistol. I’m definitely going to at least rent one and put a box of rounds through it before making my next defense pistol purchase.

15. avatar RugerIsGood says:

Some here are too insecure to admit that the Ruger is superior.

1. avatar junkman says:

I agree–a 100% American Made Product–you can keep the imported stuff–Ruger even sources all raw materials from the US–why can’t all manufactures be like Ruger?

16. avatar Frank in VA says:

Of course, now that I’ve just dropped $114 on a Stealthgear holster for my SR9c, plus the two extra 17-round mags I recently bought. Because Hillary. Plus my Trijicon HD night sights won’t be transferable to this gun.

I would have much rather seen a Pro model SR9c released before this, because it seems unlikely to ever happen now. I’m not going to be an early adopter on any more Ruger products. I’m a fan of the company, but I’ve learned my lesson about jumping on these releases too early. So, guinea pigs, have at it. I’ll take another look in a year.

1. avatar junkman says:

Even though I knew the American Compact was coming, I still opted for the SR9C & a 9E–love your SR9C, it will not let you down–also, when did you get your SR9C?–it was introduced in 2010, so if you bought early you have had it 5 or 6 years, hardly early adopter–if you do not like the safety, leave it off–I like it & muscle memory has me taking it off before the draw is done 100% of the time–too many people with ‘Glock Leg’ to not have a safety on a striker fired gun–have friends who carry Glocks & they are afraid to keep a round in the chamber

1. avatar Frank in VA says:

As far as I know, early adopter means you start using a new product or technology as soon as it becomes available. My SR9c had been out several months at least before I bought mine and it’s never had to go back to Ruger. On the other hand, I bought the LC9 and LC9s (striker) the first week they were in stores. Both had to go back to Ruger for issues that lead to design changes in later production runs. The LC9s had to go back twice for the guide rod issue, which lead to a redesigned guide rod. I have no complaints about Ruger’s customer service, but I would prefer not to have to deal with the multiple trips to the Fedex or UPS places to get a carry gun working right. I’ll give them time to work out any bugs in new models. I have no doubt this RAP compact will eventually be a great gun, if it’s not already.

2. avatar Swarf says:

I have my fingers crossed to be able to go the opposite direction: I own an SR9 (that I have been very happy with from day one) and I’m hoping they put out a compact 9e just so I can carry something similar, but a tad simpler and cheaper to replace should a DGU happen (as unlikely and unwanted as that is) and it end up in an evidence room for a while.

1. avatar Frank in VA says:

I would buy a 9E compact if they offer a No Safety model. It would fit my holsters, at least. I think the 9E is a better looking pistol than the SR anyway, without the big loaded chamber indicator. It may be a practical feature in the dark, but it’s a bit much aesthetically.

I think we are both out of luck though on a compact 9E though, with or without safety. They won’t want to undercut sales on a more expensive model like the RAP compact. Not anytime soon, anyway.

17. avatar HP says:

I really like how this gun looks. I’d like to own one, even though I really don’t need one.

18. avatar Travis says:

What Ruger needs to do is offer a 9E compact with an MSRP of $399. I had a full-sized 9E and I loved it and made a mistake by selling it. A 9E compact would be just the right price for those that want to spend a bit less than the SR9 C, but still get similar performance.

19. avatar Fred Frendly says:

Looks like a Taurus. Why bother with this when the LC9S is the cats meow. All their other semis are blocky bulky beasts.

20. avatar Steve says:

Curious. What is the comparison to the http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9s/models.html ?

21. avatar commonwealth109 says:

Perfect name for this gun, C.RAP, you could not even plan that out better if you tried. Rugers centerfire pistols are indeed crap, they offer no advantages over competitors – and they look like, well, crap. Junk, I hate them, don’t feel like writing all day why – but you know they do too!

1. avatar Frank in VA says:

The SR9c has been credited as having a better factory trigger, softer felt recoil, and easier rapid fire accuracy than the G26 and G19 by many gun writers who have reviewed them. I would count those as advantages.

TTAG’s Robert Farago rated it as “Perfect, save for the frame mounted Safety”

2. avatar junkman says:

It must really bother you that Rugers are far better & you can not admit it–All of their products work & they stand behind them 100%

1. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

I think it mostly bothers me that you’re shilling so hard for Ruger right now.

1. avatar junkman says:

The best is simply the best, and it’s not the overseas made stuff

2. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

Everybody knows that after SIG brought their manufacturing to the ‘States, their quality skyrocketed…

3. avatar junkman says:

Does that mean if they built the Mosquito here it would not jam with every magazine shot? Yea, if you only shoot CCI Mini Mags it might work–my SR22 runs anything.

22. avatar commonwealth109 says:

Ruger’s rimfire guns are fine, as are their rifles. But their centerfire handguns suuuuuuck. First centerfire semiauto handgun I ever shot was a Ruger 25 years ago, crap then & crap now! Favorite comment, the Ruger really is good, I swear – well except for that safety, which automatically disqualifies it from NOT sucking. Oh yeah, what about that sweet loaded chamber indicator – that’s not cheesy as sh!t at all!

23. avatar Michael says:

The RAP compact really needs to shed 4 to 6 ounces to better compete with the Glock 43’s and Walther PPS M2’s of the world. I see a lot of material that could come off the slide.