New Orleans Rapper Jday: Nothing Can Be Done About Gun Violence

I’m not 100 percent sure what New Orleans rapper Jday (member of the BadAzz Music Syndicate) is saying about “gun violence.” But I reckon his fatalistic reply on what can be done to stem the firearms-related crime — nothing — reflects the views of his community. And it’s not wrong. At least until and unless urban America addresses its gang problem, including (but not limited to) law enforcement, economic deprivation, the dependency culture and education. True?

comments

1. avatar TyrannyOfEvilMen says:

Wow!

Mr. Farago: When you said “I’m not 100 percent sure what New Orleans rapper Jday (member of the BadAzz Music Syndicate) is saying about ‘gun violence’…”, I assumed that you were speaking metaphorically.

Quite honestly, I’m not sure what he is saying about it either!
    ?

1. avatar Grant in IN says:

I figured he was speaking literally. Boy do I hate being right.

2. avatar -Peter says:

If Obama had a son.

3. avatar chris says:

can someone translate?

1. avatar Matt in Tx says:

“Mostly it’s black on black violence.” Is what I heard.

2. avatar CTstooge says:

We’re doomed.

1. avatar C.Rogers says:

Behold!
      I give you 60 years of r selection.
      Enjoy it

3. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

I would have to disagree with the sentiment that nothing can be done about violence. (Note I left out the word ‘gun’.)
    If you create an environment conducive to criminal acts, you get more criminal acts. That is, when you give predators plenty of easy targets and culture celebrates the criminal’s “success”, what do you expect?

What you can do about violence is to create an environment toxic to the criminals. That is, do everything you can to make sure that not only are they not successful but they suffer for their bad choices. The culture will follow eventually.

4. avatar Geoff PR says:

“I’m not 100 percent sure what New Orleans rapper Jday (member of the BadAzz Music Syndicate) is saying about “gun violence.””

Where is Barbara Billingsley or the brothers from ‘Airplane!’ when you need them?

1. avatar LMJ says:

Some mofo butter layin me to the bone. Jackin me up. Tight me.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

I thought that was “Jackin me up, tightly”, but I could be wrong…

1. avatar LMJ says:

You could be right. I never very good with jive.

2. avatar BDub says:

Hey, you know wut dey say – see a broad to’git dat booty, yak ’em!

5. avatar jjimmyjonga says:

What the hell language is this?
    “Excuse me miss…I speak jive”

1. avatar SkyMan77 says:

“Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don’ want no help, chump don’t GET da help!”

6. avatar preston says:

its incredibly intellectually dishonest for you to say that ALL gun violence is caused by gang members. while that may be a large portion, thats not the topic of today. It’s the mass shootings that is the hot topic. now when it comes to stopping mass shootings, i would have to agree i guess, i don’t think there is much we can do to stop those.

1. avatar SkyMan77 says:

Please keep that thinking cap on… There’s plenty that can be done IMHO. They may not all work but a defeatist attitude isn’t going to help anybody but the thief that comes to kill and destroy….

Abolish gun free zones, carry a firearm, take a hard look at the medication (especially antidepressants) that many of those monsters were on and stop prescribing them for starters.

2. avatar Peter says:

No one used the word “all” and the context of the jday comment was gun violence by gangs. Gang violence is so common that it doesn’t shock the senses any longer. Besides, it’s happening to “those” people. A mass shooting will always make the headlines because “it could happen to any of us.” Yet mass shootings don’t even move the needle when we’re talking about total people shot. Most of the shootings are gang related.

3. avatar Dan V says:

“Not the hot topic of today.”

Translation: Gang violence does not affect me; so, I am uninterested in that topic. However, mass shootings have a potential to affect me; therefore, that is a hot topic.

Am I close?

7. avatar NorincoJay says:

That video needs subtitles.

8. avatar AM says:

I feel like I’m in the movie Idiocracy!

9. avatar Mark N. says:

Th problem with gang violence is that it is self-perpetuating, an endless Hatfield vs. McCoy feud that goes down the generation stream.

10. avatar Luke Wright says:

Word.

11. avatar Ing says:

RAAAAAAAACIIIIIISSSSSSSTTT!!!!!

12. avatar Peter says:

That’s about the only world you can discern and it’s repeated way more often. Add a few more.

13. avatar JeffCville says:

I have to say, after hearing Jday’s insightful, concise and intelligent responses, I’m totally on-board with what he’s proposing.

14. avatar 2Asux sucks says:

That dumb fuck needs to open his mouth because I don’t know what the fuck he said!

15. avatar Jeffrey Blanchard says:

I might actually be dumber for having watched the video. This person does not represent the America that I wish to live in. Wow, just wow.

I’m not in favor of stopping gang violence. I strongly support the gangsters’ efforts to kill each other, preferably with great efficiency and in monumentally high numbers.

1. avatar Mark says:

Agree 100%. I couldn’t care less if another gang member dies. The more the merrier.

17. avatar S.CROCK says:

Everyone is to focused on the fact that his voice is different from yours, but he actually had some reasonable thoughts. “They (guns) aren’t going anywhere so don’t run from it, go get yourself a gun.” I agree. Then when asked if 2016 is the worst year of “gun violence” he said no. People get shot all the time, just the police shooting people has been getting a lot of attention. I agree with that too.

1. avatar Denton says:

Thank you! He’s clearly intelligent and is giving real thought to the questions. His opinion that he’d rather fight it out rather than pull guns, and that many others share the same opinion (“guns aren’t cool”), is actually heartening. That so many people have died, mostly without honor and that gun’s create a randomness to violence, that there is no longer any honor in just shooting someone is a step in the right direction to not use guns to settle disputes. He’s aware of the publicity angle on instagram and aware of the relative statistics of gun violence.

Just because he mumbles, uses a racial epithet like many people use “like”, and isn’t as articulate doesn’t hide the intelligence beneath.

18. avatar Bollocks Troy says:

Clearly a misspelling. You meant G’day, as in g’day mates. An Ossie rapper there.

19. avatar Mark says:

Every law abiding man and woman should be armed. PERIOD. That’s how we stop or at least mitigate the effects of mass shootings. Now as for a bomb? Not a damn thing we can do about that, and that’s why I’d much rather be in an active shooter situation than be around a bomb. You have zero chance against the latter. Evil will find a way.

20. avatar Charlie says:

If people are going to post videos in unintelligeable dialects I wish they would include subtitles.

Charlie

21. avatar Southern Cross says:

One solution to the gang-violence problem. Unleash the Ghurkas!

22. avatar Gerbs says:

Literally the only word I can understand from that.. whatever that was.

..and I listen to a lot of REAL hip-hop.