Don’t Bring a Golf Club to a Gunfight. Oh Wait . . .

(courtesy playhickory.com)

“Police say a neighbor used a golf club to stop and disarm a shotgun-wielding man after a home invasion in central Pennsylvania,” pittsburgh.cbslocal.com reports. “Chambersburg police say the neighbor, Keith Giles, used the golf club to knock down 25-year-old Kevyn Rideout as he ran from a home he robbed Friday night.” Mashie niblick, perchance? The report doesn’t specify the club, the par for the hole or the injuries sustained by the perp. All we know is . . .

Police have charged Rideout with using a sawed-off shotgun to rob a 17-year-old boy who lived in the home. Police were alerted to the robbery and arrived to find Rideout down and subdued by Giles, who had also taken the shotgun from Rideout before officers arrived.

I guess the lesson here is simple enough: use what you got. Still, I’d have preferred some shooting iron to a a number eight iron. Just sayin’ . . .

comments

1. avatar Ranger Rick says:

Fore!

1. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

No, no, don’t be modest. You’re first…

1. avatar Jim says:

First, step up, plant your feet firmly on the ground, and address the ball.” ………..Hellooooooo ball

2. avatar FelixD says:

Dam#! You beat me to it.

2. avatar Chadwick says:

Adaptation I suppose. The sad thing is there is probably less paperwork than shooting back and no night in jail for beating an attacker/intruder with a golf club.

1. avatar gs650g says:

In new York you need a carry permit for any club over a 6 iron.

1. avatar Chadwick says:

Out west I think we call that “short course rules”.

2. avatar thewiz says:

do they limit you to 10 clubs in your bag?

1. avatar Jim says:

No, but Cuomo ( son of Mario…”Hey Mario asentta mme. Tu sei propio nu’ sfaccime!” (trans: Mario, listen to me, you’re a real ‘sfaccime!’) tried to limit mag capacity to seven rounds…

2. avatar Bob Grant says:

…And He Was!!!

3. avatar gs650g says:

That’s why zero plays so much golf

4. avatar passthebrass says:

DGCU of the day!

5. avatar Grant in IN says:

Golf club is a very good melee weapon as sports equipment goes.

1. avatar Grant in IN says:

Ebay link, wtf?

1. avatar Ken says:

Auto-link. Not sure of the process but a lot of websites auto-link to some words and the link doesn’t have anything to do with the content.

2. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

I scrub the ads from my comments. Just add an extra space or hyphen, everyone will figure out what you’re saying.

BTW, I’d prefer a baseball bat if it came down to sports equipment.

2. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Grant in IN,

Golf clubs do have a serious weakness as melee weapons: the shafts are fairly fragile and will break with surprising ease if the head goes beyond the target (meaning that only the shaft hits the target).

1. avatar Grant in IN says:

I said good, not perfect. Thanks for pointing that problem out.

3. avatar Vhyrus says:

A kid at my sisters high school was killed with a golf club at a fight. Only took one swing.

6. avatar jwm says:

We’re not soldiers or cops. For most of us if we have a dgu it will be at bad breath range. At contact range. Even if you’re carrying your gat chances are very good you’ll be fighting hand to hand before you can get it out.

A contact weapon, bat, tire iron, screwdriver, golf club, etc. has a lot going for it in these moments. Anything you have in your hands at contact range is going to beat the gun in the holster.

Mindset is much more important than equipment. Our man with the golf club had the proper mindset for winning. Dude with the shotgun had the mindset that since he had a big gun people would be afraid. So he expected people to act in a certain way and when they didn’t he was unable to adapt.

I go for a daily ruck. Quite often I have a walking stick with me. I do not need a stick to get around. But nobody, including the cops, questions why I need that blunt instrument in my hands.

1. avatar Sian says:

It’s called getting inside the OODA loop and is essential to winning a physical confrontation.

guy with shotgun wasn’t expecting a fight, believing his threat of force would allow him to dominate the encounter. He wasn’t prepared to respond to aggressive, immediate action.

I really need to get myself one of those unbreakable umbrellas.

7. avatar TTACer says:

“Kevyn Rideout” should sue his parents for naming him that. He never had a chance.

1. avatar neiowa says:

Good bet the “Kevyn” or has mommy have any idea who daddy is. Hard to guess description of “Kevyn” but

It appears that Keith stopped beating on “Keyyn’s” ass/brain pan WAY too soon.

8. avatar billy.hill says:

Whats funny is Chambersburg is the county seat of Franklin County PA, which always pops up on the most armed counties in the US list. The school district shuts down for the first day of deer season because attendance would be so low.

Of course this happened in an area of downtown that has seen property values plummet the last 20 years and most of the people who occupy downtown do not own guns….

9. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Sun Tzu called it death ground.

Once you’re backed into a corner, what else do you have to lose…

Note to BG’s: don’t put your victims on death ground… Or do, better yet, do.

I’d rather see the BG get their ass kicked anyhow.

10. avatar ClearThru says:

My money’$ on the 5 iron…
    That’s Jack Nicholson’s choice.

11. avatar ClearThru says:

As in guns, so goes golf…

I prefer the steel shaft vs the fiberglass or carbon fiber hybrid.
    All metal is more weight, but feels better.
    Add good grips and yer ready to go…

1. avatar strych9 says:

Steel does feel better. I feel like I get a idea of exactly how I hit the ball (instant feedback) which gives me more confidence to actually hit the ball instead of tapping it.

But there I go talking about muh feelz…

12. avatar strych9 says:

I can’t find the original story but I surmise that the owner got behind the BG and clipped him in the head, the BG wasn’t actually prepaired/willing to use his weapon or both.

Within it’s range a golf club is a pretty wicked weapon. When I was living in Costa Rica a neighbor’s house was robbed. He chased the BG down and hit him in the head with an iron. One shot, lights out. He then drags the guy back to his house and inside the front door. Police show up, look at the blood trail, ignore it and write the whole thing up as legal because they body is inside the house and therefore the BG must have been in the house at the time force was applied. Mr. BG died from a TBI while the cops were on their way (over an hour response time).

I wondered why more people in CR didn’t shoot BG’s since Costa Rica has pretty lax gun laws. It was explained to me that if you shot someone and they died there was a lot of paperwork. Other forms of lethal force, not so much.

Keith should practice to be a better ball striker.

14. avatar JasonM says:

If the robber had a sawed off shotgun*, does that mean he filled out a form 1, had the gun engraved with his trust name and city, and paid his $200 to the ATF? Because if not, it would seem to show the NFA doesn’t keep those extra dangerous guns out of the hands of criminals.

* Assuming he cut the barrel to under 18″.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Pretty sure a sawed off shotgun is just a $5 tax, don’t ask me why. OTOH the excuse for the wild-ass assault on Ruby Ridge was a sawed off shotgun without the tax paid, would be a real bitch if I’m right about the $5.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Five bucks and a 6 to 9 or more month wait.

It is the bargain way to start NFA stamp collecting.

I’m seriously considering buying a beater side-by-side scattergun to cut down and get my first NFA stamp.

(Stamp first, then cut)…

15. avatar BDub says:

My 8-Iron is a S&W PC 627.

16. avatar Dr. Vinnie Boombotz says:

Spalding, this calls for the old Billy Baroo. Oh, Billy, Billy, Billy, Billy. Don’t let me down!

1. avatar AR says:

“Big hitter the Giles.”

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“Big hitter, the Dalai Lama…”

17. avatar Mikial says:

This story made my wife and I grin. Use whatever weapon you have at hand, and use it well!

18. avatar A. C. says:

A golfer friend of mine claimed that a golf bag manufacturer is now making a golf bag with a separate pocket for a shotgun so a golfer can defend him/herself against the large predators that live in the water hazards (that’s what makes those ponds hazardous, I guess), like this critter:
    I just don’t think a golf club would be adequate for self defense against that.