BREAKING: Leaked Photos of New GLOCK 17M

sadASD-1-675x900_1

Our friends over at TFB have gotten their hands on a picture (via P&S) of the new GLOCK 17M that will be coming out soon. Check out their post. The photo apparently comes from an Indianapolis police officer and the 17M is designed to be an upgraded GLOCK 17 with some specific features designed to make it ideal for use as a “duty” handgun. Here are some of the features:

• A new tougher finish
  • Changes in the rifling
  • Longer recoil spring assembly
  • Reinforced forward notch for the recoil spring assembly
  • A smoother trigger similar to the G42/43
  • Flared magwell
  • No finger grooved
  • Changes in the safety plunger
  • Ambidextrous slide release
  • Magazines have an extended front lip
  • Magazine well cutout

Definitely an evolutionary change. No word yet on civilian availability or pricing.

comments

1. avatar Gregolas says:

A FLARED magwell on a double-column pistol is the epitome of useless redundancy. Since the top of the mag is half the width of the bottom, (hence, also the width of the magwell) what the heck do you need a flared magwell for ?

1. avatar Eric in Oregon says:

Do you even operate, bro? 😀

2. avatar txJM says:

Higher speed and lower drag. Duh.

3. avatar SpazC says:

You’ve obviously never shot a Browning Hi Power, or any other double stack with no magwell, in competition. Magwells are FAR from unnecessary unless you shoot 50 rounds at a square range every now and then.

1. avatar B says:

That’s because the hi power somehow has a mag that’s the same shape at the top as the bottom. If you don’t hit that thing straight on, it’s not gonna go in. Most modern doublestacks, Glock included, don’t have that problem.

1. avatar SpazC says:

I love it when Timmies don’t know what they are talking about. HP magazines are tapered like any other doublestack mag.

4. avatar RenegadeDave says:

As a former glock shooter, I would have LOVED a flared and enlarged mag well, similar to the FNS style pistols, or the CZ P07/P09, or any gun that gives a damn about having the gun loaded easily. You literally give up nothing by it being there. Looks like a strong step forward, I am sad that the relieved undercut trigger guard didn’t make it onto the menu.

5. avatar Accur81 says:

STI and other quality makers have stock flared mag wells on their competition oriented guns.

6. avatar Helen Sabin says:

OK – tell me why these changes to the GLOCK are an improvement? I understand about the mag length as I have big hands and like magazines that provide for “pinkie” space to help with the grip, but the flared magazine – how does that help a duty officer? and the trigger – is that easier to pull? I know many dislike Glocks for their triggers but I really don’t see the difference with other handguns at least for general use. Maybe in competition but for “duty” use? HELP!!

1. avatar Mark says:

Fine motor skills are the first thing that go out the window from the adrenaline dump of a use of force encounter. A flared magwell makes reloading easier and less of a fine motor skill. A use of force scenario is likely in a duty setting. Therefore a flared magwell makes sense in a duty weapon.

2. avatar Caitlyn in Malibu says:

So boring

3. avatar A A Rod says:

M is for metrosexual?

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

(snicker)

2. avatar Pete Zaitcev says:

Just like AKM.

4. avatar PeterK says:

Someone on twitter pointed out that there’s only one pin in the locking block now. I wonder what other tweaks they made?

1. That’s probably for the longer recoil spring clearance. This will probably be a 9mm only version, especially since the fbi won’t be switching calibers for another 20 years or so…

5. avatar Tex300BLK says:

No finger groves and what looks like a healthy undercut on the trigger guard too… What are they trying to do? Put all the YouTube DIY dremel gunsmiths out of business?

1. avatar JT says:

Undercut looks the same to me as it always has.

6. avatar me says:

Wow! Looks like every other flippin glock on the shelf since the 80’s, still can’t stand it, same basic boring ads frame that doesn’t fit my hand. Know how hard it is to find a sticker of Calvin pissing on the glock logo?

Ditto
      I’m sticking with the SIG P226 for carry.

1. avatar Cam says:

Not me, just changed from a 29sf to a German p228.

7. avatar MrAninnyMouse says:

Perfecter.

8. avatar TTACer says:

OH! MY! GOD! IT LOOKS LIKE EVERY OTHER GLOCK IN THE WORLD!!!

1. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

Exactly. It’s like Harleys. The Harley guys can take one look at a Harley and tell you “that’s a ’94 FLXPTQHV Chunky Bob Tail”. I’m lucky if I can pick out a Harley from a Japanese copycat.
      But to each his own. I’m not gonna tell anyone they shouldn’t buy a Glock (or a Harley).

1. avatar Dm says:

Difference being that a glock is much closer to Japanese reliability than a harley.

2. avatar Gunr says:

A bit off the subject, but since you mentioned Harley’s, I thought I would relate about a guy who used to work for me. He must have weighed all of 105 or 110 pounds.
        He came in one morning and told me he just bought a Harley. I told him I used to travel a lot in the Arizona and New Mexico dessert, and that about every hundred miles, or so, I would see a skeleton laying besides the road, with a rusted Harley laying on top of it!
        His face turned white, and he sold the Harley the next day

9. avatar Shire-man says:

Perfection so perfect they’ve revised it, what, 5 times now?

I thought the craptastic grooves were to comply with some asinine import restriction. No longer an issue?

1. avatar RoninTheDog says:

Different ball game when you’re selling to LEO/Military.

2. avatar JT says:

The grooves were there because people were requesting them back in the early 90’s and putting Hogue HandAll grips on them in order to get them. It’s just what the market wanted at the time and now the market has changed its mind.

10. avatar ActionPhysicalMan says:

Guccifer 2 strikes again?

11. avatar John A. Smith says:

“A smoother trigger similar to the G42/43”

Yeah, because the internet is awash with people singing the praises of the G43 trigger.

/s

12. avatar Anon in CT says:

It sounds like this is the model that won the recent FBI contract, no? So now they are marketing it to other law enforcement agencies. Makes sense.

As to the finger grooves – I assume the FBI Glocks will be produced domestically in Smyrna, so need there.

13. avatar TruthTellers says:

Must be the only person in the world to say this, but I never had an issue with the finger grooves.

1. avatar Pwinky says:

I have a G19 but I agree, I’ve left it completely stock and like it just the way it is. So there are at least 2…

1. avatar CueBaller says:

Same here.. 30S and Gen4 23.

2. avatar Ladd Boid says:

+1 I’m OK with or without them.

2. avatar JT says:

I don’t have an issue with them on the full sized guns, but on the compacts and subcompacts they are too close together for my hands.

3. avatar anonymoose says:

I like them too.

4. avatar Mikial says:

I carry my Gen 3 G21 every day. Love it and completely comfortable with its reliability, accuracy and comfort for shooting.

5. avatar Accur81 says:

I’ve got a Glock 23 Gen 4 on my hip right now. I like the finger grooves. Maybe I’m not supposed to, or I’m not truly an operator, but I shoot just fine with it.

6. avatar rosignol says:

Hey, I’m not the one who brought up the size of your hands.

Let’s just say the grooves are in the wrong place for me, and leave it at that.

7. avatar Mark says:

Add another I like them.

14. avatar jwm says:

So this is new and improved? What were we using before, old and crappy?

1. avatar Kris says:

Precisely. You’re beginning to understand. Because it’s “old” it is now considered to be worthless and nothing more than a working prototype from days of yore.

15. avatar RandallOfLegend says:

I wonder if this was the gun Glock was submitting to the military handgun replacement competition.

1. avatar sambob says:

I don’t think I want my Glock with a thumb safety do you?

16. avatar pwrserge says:

Meh, I’ll stick to my SIG for daily carry and to my G34 / G17L bastardization for social work / competition use.

1. avatar Keith Mercer says:

What model Sig?

1. avatar pwrserge says:

Depends on the dress code for the day, either a M11A1, P229 Legion, or P220.

17. avatar Charles5 says:

But, but I thought Glocks were already perfect…

In all seriousness, I absolutely hate the finger grooves on Glocks. That, at least, is a step in the right direction.

18. avatar Adub says:

I must have missed all those shootouts where cops needed to quickly change mags in the middle of a gun battle…

And why does the FBI need a special Glock? They’ve got more lawyers than guns (and they collect just as much dust).

1. avatar Caleb says:

It has happened several times. You’re ignorant.

19. avatar Howdy1 says:

I wonder if the old/current magazines would fit in this one.

20. avatar Crowbar says:

Is there any chance now that Glock is manufacturing in GA that we will ever see the 25 & 28 for sale? I know Glock haters, start bitching and crying now, but I love my Glocks and I own at least one of every model (not every gen). I would like to get these last 2 for the collection.

Not groovy. Which is a good thing.

22. avatar QSmith says:

No thank you Glock! This along with the glock 30s without the gen 4 frame and dropping the single stack 380 acp before the 9mm.

23. And yet they retained the pointless and bulky squared off trigger guard.

24. avatar Tile floor says:

Looks pretty good. I won’t be trading in my Gen 4 17 though. It’s dead nuts reliable and I can shoot it very well. It ain’t broke, so I’m not gonna fix it.

25. avatar MilitaryArms says:

I actually shot the gun TFB has pictures of.

The changes are subtle but significant, IMHO.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Ah, great pics on your IG feed! Really interesting to see traditional rifling in the barrel. https://www.instagram.com/militaryarms/?hl=en

2. avatar Accur81 says:

Thanks for that! I appreciate your vids.

26. avatar Hank says:

The headline of this article is written like some article of a secret snap of a nude celebrity or something. It’s a glock. Love it or hate it, it is what it is and that’s all that it is.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

The next generation of the most popular modern firearm in the world, “leaked” prior to press releases from a company that’s notoriously good at keeping things under wraps until it’s ready to announce, isn’t worthy of this headline? I kinda disagree there.

27. avatar RenegadeDave says:

The Gen2Mk5 shall be deemed a success!

looks like a step forward, I’d be curious to see what the new trigger is like.

Damnit, I always sell off my Glock 17’s, then think “Hey, I need a Glock 17 because what collection isn’t complete with a Glock 17” then i want something else, sell the glock 17 to get it. Maybe lucky #3 will stick.

28. avatar The Pontificator says:

17M? I’d hit it! 🙂

29. avatar Mikial says:

I always have to smile as the Glock haters come out of the woodwork to make sure we all know exactly what they think without ever wondering if we even care.

Hint, hint . . . we don’t.

Isn’t it funny how Glock owners don’t mass in the blog world to dis Sigs or XDs or M&Ps, etc.? It’s sort of like the old saying about people with tats and people without. The big difference is that people with tats aren’t offended by people who don’t have tats. Glock owners aren’t offended by people who like other guns because it really doesn’t matter to us. We aren’t intimidated by other people’s tastes. *Cue the Glock haters outcry!*

1. avatar RandallOfLegend says:

I shoot 40 S&W mostly. You could easily swap Glock owners with 40S&W shooters, and all other brands with 9mm/45acp advocates.

As a reloader, I like all cartridges.

30. avatar kylestyle says:

I don’t always buy Glocks but when I do, they’re gen 3.

31. avatar John P. says:

So, is this a preview of Gen 5, or a limited variant?

32. avatar Not Jimbo says:

I notice that it also has the contoured (or whatever you call it) profile at the front of the slide, like the subcompact models (and tact/pract models I think – I don’t have a 34 or 35).

33. Who knows if its a pic of the new M or not! Every last glock for 30 years looks exactly the same;)

34. avatar Arturo says:

as long as they quit using MIM parts, I’d say they have another hit on their hands.

I would guess the “17M” designation sets it apart from the rest. otherwise they would call a 17 a 17. so you have regular 17’s, 17L (long slide) and now 17M.

wild-ass guess is 17M gets the beveled front end, flared mag well, and night sights, and what we are seeing with the other features is a preview of Gen5. I see no reason why they wouldn’t offer it on the civilian market.

no, it’s not an entry into a military contract, because it doesn’t meet requirements for modularity they specified. plus we would have heard of Glock’s entry of “something” in the running no matter how under wraps they kept this new model.

35. avatar Fred Frendly says:

Since they are going back in time with the frame, can they PLEASE put a G19/23 2nd gen frame with a G26/27 size slide? Been wanting a snub Glock forever.

36. avatar Dick hertz says:

My Walther P99as still smokes any glock Grip ergonomics always sucked on a glock.. why the hype

1. avatar Fred Frendly says:

Because what fits YOUR hand is the arbiter of all that is. You are narcissistic enough to run for Preezydent.

37. avatar LooksTheSameToMe says:

Meet the new Glock…Same as the old Glock…

1. avatar Fred Frendly says:

There are a multitude of changes, but haters gonna hate no matter what.

38. avatar DMD says:

But where is the thumb safety to qualify it for the US Army pistol trials? DMD

39. avatar Shooterjobs says:

Looks the mating of a Gen 1 and Gen 4. But none the less I’d buy one.