China Tiger Attack: It Should Have Been A Defensive Gun Use

“A woman was killed by a tiger over the weekend after jumping out of a car in a Beijing animal park to try to save her daughter from a tiger attack,” nytimes.com reports. “At least one tiger mauled the women on Saturday at Badaling Wildlife World in a section that allows people to drive their own vehicles through a Siberian tiger enclosure, the Yanqing County government said in a written statement.” Here’s how it went down . . .

The woman left the car because of an argument with her husband, reported The Legal Evening News, based in Beijing. The Beijing News, also based in the Chinese capital, quoted a friend of the family who denied that the couple had been fighting.

The woman who was first attacked was badly injured, and her mother, who left the car in an effort to save her daughter, was killed, The Beijing News reported. The woman’s husband was uninjured, as was their child, who remained in the vehicle, the newspaper said.

I’d like to point out that Chinese gun control is as absolute as it gets. The entire population is disarmed. So, while the danger of a tiger attack in a drive-through animal park is minimal (assuming you stay in your vehicle), and the result disturbingly spectacular, the Chinese government poses the greatest danger to the average citizen. Like this via how.org:

China remains an authoritarian state, one that systematically curbs fundamental rights, including freedom of expression, association, assembly, and religion, when their exercise is perceived to threaten one-party rule.

The penalties are, shall we say, severe. Anyway, Americans are advised to bring some firepower to their animal park adventures. Oh wait. Most ban them. Never mind?

comments

1. avatar Andrew Lias says:

It should have been a STAY IN THE DAMN CAR. Just saying that natural selection was strong with this one.

1. avatar QSmith says:

Hell yeah! No defensive gun use would have saved this silly ass woman. If your absent minded enough to get out of your car when your surrounded by big wild cats then you dont need a gun. I feel bad that they had to kill the animal for doing what comes natural.

2. avatar Arkansas kurt says:

Idk, having been stuck in a vehicle with a woman who I am romantically involved with who is actively going totally nutzo before, I kinda understand. The instinct to flee can be strong. Like maybe take take my chances with the Tigers strong.

3. avatar Supermike says:

Sadly, it sounds like it was NOT the woman we saw being dragged off by the tiger, but the one that gets out of the car at the very end who was killed. At first I was confused, thinking ‘how was her daughter in danger – they were all in the car?” Then I realized the (likely) mom got out at the tail-end of the video. She probably advanced on the tiger and was killed instead.

So yeah, while natural selection played a role here, I’m not sure I could sit there and watch my child be eaten by a tiger. So I probably would’ve taken my chances and done the same thing.

1. avatar BDub says:

All your saying is that the woman’s stupidity and temper got her mother killed and almost got her killed as well…thats worse in my book. I rate getting yourself killed as a less than getting someone else killed trying to save your dumb ass.

1. avatar Art out West says:

That’s it right there. The first woman’s stupid actions (getting out of the car in a tiger enclosure because she had an argument with her husband) got her mother killed, and nearly cost her life as well.

She should have stayed in the car.

A pistol probably wouldn’t have made much difference. I know I wouldn’t want to face a tiger with only my 5 shot snubby.

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

Correct, Mom saw her daughter dragged off, and after just a few seconds she departed the car to pursue. If she had taken that few seconds to grab the family AK, switch to full auto, and THEN step out, the outcome could have turned out very differently. And there are a bunch of pistols and revolvers which could have brought a fast resolution, as well, but all cost more than a full auto AK.

4. avatar BDub says:

…otherwise known as a defensive brain use, a DBU.

5. avatar NYC2AZ says:

A-F$@#n’-men!

6. avatar idahoPete says:

You can’t fix stupid.

1. avatar jwm says:

True. But you can roll up the windows and lock the doors while stupid is dragged off by the tiger.

1. avatar BDub says:

Thanks….I needed that laugh.

2. avatar Dave says:

The tiger tried to fix stupid, something’s bound to finish the job eventually.

7. avatar BLAMMO says:

Sum Dum Fuk

2. Should have been a DGU. However firearm ownership is not allowed in china.

3. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

If the tigers had managed to enter the vehicle and attack its occupants, then this would be an argument for allowing guns. This case is more an argument for not being stupid and getting out of the car. Just sayin’….

(This by no means is to say that the people shouldn’t be allowed to carry. Only that this story doesn’t really provide a valid argument for our side.)

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

While that’s true, the same could be said about climbing out of your car unarmed in a bunch of Chicago neighborhoods, and for the same reason; dangerous animals live there.

4. avatar PsyGuy says:

It should have been an “idiot needs to stay in the car” moment while in a wildlife park where there are tigers *SMDH*
    People lose their senses around wild animals and forget they are dangerous.

1. avatar AR says:

Disney, alligators, people in Nebraska don’t know about alligators, people at Disney don’t want to tell people from Nebraska that ALL WATER IN FLORIDA CONTAINS ALLIGATORS, people from Nebraska lose a child, people from Nebraska don’t sue Disney. “No Wading” signs just don’t convey the level of danger from wild animals, especially when people are soothed into thinking that “Park” means managed, safe, dreamy, or when a 2 year old can’t read the damn sign.

I hear that the Siberians still are astounded that Americans are re-populating wolves into the wild. In Soviet Siberia, man kills wolf to keep it away from the door.

1. avatar Indiana Tom says:

I suspect I have wolves masquerading as dogs in my backyard.

5. avatar Rusty Chains says:

Stupid place to have an argument, and a far dumber place to show how mad you are by jumping out of the car. I once dated a girl who threatened to do that and I took her directly home and said bye. Who needs that kind of drama?

6. avatar Trevor says:

Do you think the tiger was hungry again after 10 min? Im sorry I couldn’t resist. The sad part is they will probably put the tiger down because of her dumb ass.

1. avatar Supermike says:

ROFL!!!!

7. avatar Tex300BLK says:

No, I don’t think its your right to enter a wildlife sanctuary where dangerous animals live, consciously exit the safety of your vehicle into their habitat and then shoot them when they, very predictably, attack you.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“As others have said, good candidate for a Darwin Award, nothing more nothing less.”

Eh, not so much.

A *proper* Darwin means you died stupidly *before* you reproduced, thereby insuring your defective genes will never pollute the (somewhat) human gene pool…

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Hmm. OK. I sit corrected. I like your definition.

8. avatar TyrannyOfEvilMen says:

Nope. This one should NOT have been a DGU. This falls into the “Don’t do stupid things in stupid places with stupid people” meme.

This is a Darwin Award nomination and honorary mention.

9. avatar Swarf says:

“And another thi–“

10. avatar JT says:

Actually, I disagree. If you get out of a car in a wild animal park, and walk around like you are at a mall, then maybe you shouldn’t have been born or given the opportunity to reproduce others with your same level of intelligence? I do agree that being able to travel in China with a gun though, or even through this park, would be optimal though…just in case your intellect wasn’t the root cause of your situation.

11. avatar jwtaylor says:

Did not see that coming.

12. avatar David B says:

China does not have absolute gun control. Criminal elements have access to them. If you want it bad enough, you can get what you want pretty much anywhere in the world. Want drugs in Singapore? Yup, you can get them. Want a woman of ill repute in Saudi Arabia? Yup, you can get that too. Want sushi from a gas station? Yup, Sheetz has you covered.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Yeah, while in Saudi in 1991, my crew and I were invited to join a party with alcohol and art least a suggestion of wild, wild women. We considered and decided we did not have the stones, thanked our new friend and moved on. Not hard to find. Still, you know, death penalty. Beheading. In public. By a guy with a sword. No shit. Guess we’ll pass.

13. avatar AR says:

What is the proper caliber/action for Tiger?

416 Rigby and a double claw extractor Mauser?

.300 NORMA MAG from 1/2 mile away/over the hood of the getaway Land Rover?

A laser beam attached to your jet pack so you can levitate out of the forest if things go badly?

A British 2/4/6 bore double, because your are a sporting chap?

One of my customers took a male Lion on Safari in the ’70’s.

He opined that the Tiger would be the most likely to turn the table on a human hunter except that they are naturally solitary unlike Lion and Water Buffalo (both of which he had taken) who prefer to hunt their human hunters/prey/interlopers in Prides or Herds.

“Never get out of the boat” Apocalypse Now

1. avatar Arkansas kurt says:

Jeffery .450-400 Nitro double rifle

worked for jim corbett. I would assume he would know better than anyone.

2. avatar Jean says:

Maybe the woman just wanted to get some mangoes…

14. avatar anonymoose says:

Sounds like a job for a Serbu Super-shorty loaded with magnum slugs. I would not take a pistol-caliber anything against a tiger…well, maybe a .500S&W.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

I was kind of thinking the same thing … most handgun calibers would be lacking against a large male tiger. I cannot see anyone successfully fending off such a big cat with a 9mm or .40 S&W handgun.

As usual, a large Magnum revolver, with a long barrel (at least 6 inches), and loaded with heavy, hardcast lead bullets would give you the best odds of walking away from a tiger attack. I would think .44 Magnum would be minimum and .454 Casull would be better.

15. avatar tdiinva (Now in Wisconsin) says:

I find that you go further with a brain and a gun than with a gun alone.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Nice!

16. avatar Wiregrass says:

I expect we’ll see more of this sort of stupid as the Pokemon Go trend continues. I watched the video before reading the text, and thought about that as a possible reason she got out of the car. But then they probably don’t have that yet in the PRC.

17. avatar FormerWaterWalker says:

Ah NO. More like Darwin(which I don’t subscribe to) in action. Stay in the damn car-live to fight another day. I had an ex-wife jump out of the car in traffic. Many years later I wish I’d just let her keep walking…

18. avatar jwm says:

Now the poor guy is stuck with a scarred and likely disabled wife who will blame him for her mothers death every waking moment of his life.

I was married to her level of crazy in my youth. Everything was a big emergency and she had to make the grand gestures in every argument.

If we would have had a drive thru tiger park I would have greased her up with pork chops and tossed her out of the car.

1. avatar AR says:

5.56, not tiger worthy. 7.62? Maybe, especially at 600/minute.

1. avatar Mk10108 says:

Tiger not winning when 30 rounds makes insides into goo.

19. avatar anaxis says:

…….. yoink!

(Is it wrong that my brain provided the sound effect, or did I just watch far too much Looney Tunes a kid?)

1. avatar John L. says:

I thought that was Pinky & The Brain;. Looney tunes is more like “boinnnng” and Hanna Barbera more like “SPLAT”

20. avatar samuraichatter says:

Yes, she should have stayed in the car. However, I question the entire idea of having a zoo, animal park, attraction, or whatever where powerful and sometimes aggressive animals are right outside your car and one merely drives around them. Maybe that is part of the attraction for some? The whole concept seems to be asking for problems from its inception.

21. avatar samuraichatter says:

1. avatar AR says:

There was a “Lion Country Safari” outside Atlanta years ago, now closed. I talked with the Rangers after we drove through, he said the felines were both the least and most dangerous.

Least dangerous because they were so overfed they got lazy and wouldn’t go a step out of their way for a piece of bacon, most dangerous because once on the attack they are unstoppable.

Rangers had the most problems with the equines. They were obnoxious (jackasses) for handouts; handouts they got because they were cute.

Years later at the non-dangerous (HA!) animal drive thru outside Columbus, GA, some variety of African equine double donkey kicked the rear quarter panel of my van because we had run out of donkey food to shove out of the window at him. $2,500 damage; a weird talk with my insurance adjuster. I went with “Act of God” cause God made all the animals, cloven hooved and non cloven hooved together.

Makes me think of Government handout programs…who should I donkey kick, or D#*k punch?

22. avatar Dave says:

Definitely should NOT have been a DGU. Some idiot ass woman gets out of a car in a tiger enclosure gets inevitably mauled & we’re supposed to blame the tiger? No, sorry, that’s natural selection right there. It’s unfortunate that the mother got killed trying to save the woman, but they both should’ve stayed in the car.

23. avatar Sunshine_Shooter says:

There should have been no gun used, here. They should have let the tiger make off with the idiot who decided to get out of the car.

I know the term “too stupid to live” used to get thrown around a lot, but it literally describes the woman in this scenario.

24. avatar ready,fire,aim says:

What’s for lunch?….Chinese again!!……(Too soon??)

1. avatar Indiana Tom says:

The Tiger had Chinese to go! I wonder if she was sweet and sour.

25. avatar John L. says:

How about Darwin Award, or maybe accessory to murder via stupidity?

Specifically, the daughter for both; I’m having a hard time blaming a parent watching her offspring getting attacked and not doing nothing to try to help.

26. avatar Cc says:

Andrew ad John are right. This has nothing to do with a DGU and more with a Darwin Award. These parks were you can drive through wild life are amazing and it is absolutely clear and obvious that you must remain in your car and never roll a window down. Stupidity kills. The tiger just did what nature calls him to do.

27. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

I’m in the Darwin Award camp.

If a woman can’t stifle herself to remain in the car when in the midst of apex predators, well then, she deserves what she gets.

28. avatar Ovidio Gentiloni says:

It’s just natural selection.
    There is no right to survival. Survival must be earned day by day.
    Someone used the definition Defensive Brain Use. That fits!
    It’s exactly what would have saved the woman.

To a nation of 1.3 billion people, the death of one person or fifty million people matters not.

Frankly, I’m more concerned about the tiger. There are far fewer tigers than there are Chinese.

30. avatar Coolbreeze says:

Howda pistol

31. avatar AmbulanceMonkee says:

Am i the only one wondering what an argument in Chinese sounds like?

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“Am i the only one wondering what an argument in Chinese sounds like?”

Well, I can tell you from personal experience with my Chinese girlfriend (mumble) years ago, it entails lots and lots of loud, angry, high-pitched sounds…

2. avatar James in AZ says:

“你傻逼吧?!”
      “你丫才傻逼呢!”
      “操!我下车了!”
      “啊!!!”
      被老虎吃了

I’ve been there long enough they couldnt tell from a native, skin colour notwithstanding

1. avatar FormerWaterWalker says:

Interweb winner! Thanks for the chuckle…

32. avatar CTstooge says:

Ok I’ll say it: Heckuva place for a Chinese Fire Drill.

33. avatar LJM says:

Apex predator, apex’ing.

34. avatar tjlarson2k says:

Can’t fix stupid. If they had a gun, an innocent tiger may have been shot by those morons, which would be worse.

35. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

I could see packing a .22lr at the petting zoo, you know, in case some miniature donkey goes maximum crazy. Hell, we’ve all done that. It’s for the children!

But tigers at the safari wildlife ranch? There has to be a certain assumption of risk once you enter a place like that, especially when you decide to exit the vehicle.

Besides, where would it end? I read that a girl at a Moroccan zoo was just killed by a rock wielding elephant. How much firepower are we prepared to send the kids off on class field trips with?

36. avatar DMD says:

Tragic result—but absolutely hilarious comments !! Chinese again for lunch?? Seriously, as for a DGU, nothing that any of us ever carry EDC would have done any good whatsoever in that situation! DMD

37. avatar strych9 says:

Having done some safariing in Africa in open topped vehicles mere feet from completely wild big cats I can say with the utmost certainty that the problem is that she got out of the vehicle.

She was stupid and she got herself hurt and someone else killed. This shouldn’t have been a DGU because that cat doesn’t deserve to die for this woman’s stupidity and arrogance. She does.

38. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Evolution in action!
    Hello Kitty!

39. avatar Frank in VA says:

Sounds like Mr. Farago would have preferred Crouching Tiger vs. Hidden Dragunov.

40. avatar Paul says:

I’m stumped on just what sort of carry gun is going to save you from this?

You need something with a 1 shot – 1 kill probability of 100% and immediate action- that is, hit the tiger, kill the tiger immediately. Years ago I saw a stand alone M-203 with a pistol grip, so maybe that with an HE round.

I don’t see this as a DGU at all. I think the Tiger was helping out the gene pool

41. avatar Cuteandfuzzybunnies says:

Ok I have to ask. What kind of gun do you need for a tiger? I don’t think a 380 gonna get the job done. What about 10mm? 44 Mag?

42. avatar adverse4 says:

Don’t get out of vehicle in a tiger park. Rabbit park? Maybe. This has nothing to do with firearms, it has to do with being stupid.