The Deer Gun: A New Liberator for a New War

Untitled-1

By T. Logan Metesh

Most historians and gun guys are familiar with the Liberator pistol from World War II. Crudely produced at the General Motors Guide Lamp Division in Indiana, the Liberator was a single-shot .45 caliber pistol with an effective range of one to four yards, mostly due to its super-short, unrifled barrel.

The purpose of the guns was simple: drop a large multitude of Liberators into occupied territory for the resistance fighters to use against their enemies. They could use the gun to kill a combatant and take their real gun. Never intended to be a long-term solution, the guns were shipped in cardboard boxes with 10 rounds of ammo, a wooden dowel for an extractor, and an illustrated instruction sheet.

Today, the guns are prized by military collectors and can fetch a few thousand dollars for just the gun. If you can put the gun together with the cardboard box and instruction sheet, it could double (or more) in price.

While the Liberator’s story from World War II is known by many, the Deer Gun’s story from the Vietnam era is not. In fact, it’s such an unknown part of history that debate surrounds the proper spelling and origin of the name.

Designed in the early 1960s to be the “Liberator 2.0” of sorts, the Deer Gun was intended by the CIA to be supplied to guerilla fighters in South Vietnam. The gun consisted of a cast aluminum frame featuring molded cross-hatching on the grip panel, two blued 1.8” barrels (one rifled; one smoothbore), a conical shaped cocking knob, and no trigger guard.

The 12-ounce gun fired 9x19mm cartridges and was packaged in heavy-duty Styrofoam with three rounds of ammo and an illustrated instruction sheet. The extra ammo could be kept in the pistol grip, along with a round, plastic collar that both doubled as a front sight when slid onto the barrel and a manual safety when placed between the frame and the cocking knob. A plastic rod attached to the detachable base of the grip and could be used to punch out the spent casing.

This unusual gun was operated by unscrewing the barrel and loading the round into the breach, screwing the barrel back onto the frame, pulling back the cocking knob until it locked into place, and then pulling the trigger when ready to fire.

More unusual than General Motors making the Liberator, the Deer Gun’s design was the brainchild of Russell Moure, an engineer at American Machine & Foundry – the very same AMF that made bowling equipment and Harley-Davidson motorcycles. Of course, it’s not all that unusual to think of AMF making guns if you consider the fact that they also made the launching silos for Titan and Atlas ICBMs.

Around 1,000 Deer Guns were made in 1964. When the war grew and escalated, it became clear that the Deer Gun wouldn’t be effective. As such, the majority of them were destroyed on purpose. Survival rates are approximately 2.5%, with a maximum of 25 thought to still be in existence. One sold through Rock Island Auction Company in December 2011, with the Styrofoam box, cartridges, and instruction sheet, for $25,875.

As with any design, a production piece is preceded by a prototype. As luck would have it, I recently had the opportunity to handle one of these for the Deer Gun.

The body was the same cast aluminum, except that it was painted black and had no molded cross-hatching on the grip panels. The cocking knob was cylindrical in shape and knurled for gripping purposes instead of being conical. The rubber plug in the bottom of the grip contained a plastic ejector rod and a rubber collar (not plastic) to be used as a sight / safety. Most unusual, however, were the barrels. It had one rifled and one smoothbore like the production models, but it also had a third barrel chambered for 9x18mm Makarov.

Handling a Liberator is cool because it’s an unusual novelty. Handling a Deer Gun is ultra cool because so few people know about them and even fewer survive to this day. But handling a prototype Deer Gun? Well, that’s like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow being guarded by a leprechaun riding a unicorn.

comments

1. avatar jwm says:

9×18 was the commie caliber. Dropping these to resistence fighters in commie country made since to have the 9×18 option.

3 rounds is all the ammo they supplied with the gun? Doesn’t really matter. I think I would use a knife to aquire a gun. Not this suicide special.

1. avatar Joe R. says:

I would become a NY state senator. Then I would grab and grab, and grab. . .

1. avatar BLAMMO says:

The Governor is much better at it.

2. avatar anonymoose says:

You have a better chance of stealing some guy’s AK by popping him in the head from a little ways than if you have to sneak up close and shank him. Personally I think we should have just dropped STEN guns, and snuck machinery and plans into South Vietnam to produce them.

2. avatar Tom in Georgia says:

Makes me wonder how hard it would be to convert an otoscope? For entertainment purposes only, of course.

Tom

3. avatar 16V says:

AMF owned H-D from ’69 through ’81.

Sounds like the Deer Gun was a foreshadowing of the “quality” that they would instill in Harley, which has always been on the cutting edge of 1910 tech and build.

1. avatar Tom in PA says:

I picked up that sarcasm, took me a while, but I did, and it made me laugh.

1. avatar 16V says:

Always glad to provide a chuckle for those who get it.

4. avatar Name says:

Does it take Glock mags?

5. avatar BLAMMO says:

Looks all the heck like a compressed air nozzle.

6. avatar The Next 8 Years says:

Looks like something that could be easily carried in California or Illinois that wouldn’t be recognized easily by Law Enforcement to be illegal. Not that I would advocate for that sort of thing. I bet prison guards have taken these off prisoners in California prisons. And it’s an antique to Boot! Sell!

7. avatar Davis Thompson says:

I think I have one of those on the end of my hose.

1. avatar Timmy! says:

If you do, you should see a doctor!

8. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Love me some history in the morning!
    Great article. I consider myself a gun guy, but I had not heard of this.

9. avatar Tom in PA says:

How appropriate – AMF = Adios Mother F…..

10. avatar formerwaterwalker says:

They should have just made more WWII liberators-or not have been in Vietnam in the 1st place…

1. avatar Vitsaus says:

Ask South Koreans what things would be like with out American intervention against communist insurgency.

1. avatar formerwaterwalker says:

Didn’t say a word about Korea…how’d Vietnam turn out? Sure happy I (barely) avoided the worst debacle in American history. It helped put the leftwing azzwholes who are in power NOW…

11. avatar int19h says:

Can you please make it so that ad links are visually distinct from regular links? It’s extremely frustrating to click on shit just to find out that it’s completely irrelevant to the actual post. Like that link on “Deer gun” – I would have expected that to take me to an image gallery of it, or even the Wikipedia page, but it’s some random crap.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

That’s the VigLink monetizing TTAG is using.

I asked the same question about differentiating them somehow a week back or so, and according to Jeremy S., they’re probably unable to do that.

I agree with you 100,000 percent on this one, it *seriously* ups the bullshit factor reading TTAG, but I suppose the lights do have to kept on.

I bet Dyspeptic is especially peeved by this, as they are actually monetizing *his* user name by doing that…

1. avatar kenneth says:

And he already finds time to sometimes write great, article length, content for them in the comments sections for free.
        So if anyone has the right to be peeved over monitizing his posts w/o his permission, its DG…

2. avatar Kevin in CO says:

Leave your cursor over the link a second. If you see “link provided by VigLink,” it’s advertising. Click, or not.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

True, but as someone noted, hover-over doesn’t seem to work on some ‘phone OS’s…

1. avatar formerwaterwalker says:

Ah so that’s what’s going on with my $20 Virgin mobile smartphone. I thought it was just a glitch in this marvel of Chinese technology…

12. avatar Marco says:

No pictures of this coveted event. Fail.

Pics or it didn’t happen.

1. avatar T. Logan Metesh says:

There’s pics on my phone, but the owner requested I not make them public. Gotta respect the guy’s wishes. After all, he was nice enough to let me handle it, examine it, etc.

13. avatar LHW says:

Learn something new everyday.