Everyday Carry Pocket Dump of the Day – Jason B

Untitled-b

Jason B. works in logistics. Which is probably why he keeps things simple, eschewing a load of gear that would weigh him down. Just the basics here, with an eminently pocketable, portable pistol. See everything he totes at Everyday Carry . . .

comments

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Anyone have any experience with the French Opinel knife?

1. avatar Timmer says:

To me it’s like a folding Mora. The handle is a bit bulky and it is a two-handed opener, but it is dirt cheap, available in several sizes, and has good steel. Check TTAK for a review.

2. avatar Bryan says:

Really good little knife, and most knife guys seem to like it because the steel is pretty good and the thing is not expensive. The round handle is a little bulky, but contributes to the overall strength of the piece. Carbon and stainless blades. Great value; I carry an 8 but any larger is probably too big for normal carry.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

TTAK has a few articles on them, here’s a video of the factory…

3. avatar strych9 says:

Yup. My dad gave me one that his dad gave him… *goes to get it*

This is a No. 8 from just after WWI. These knives are known as “Farmer’s Knives”. Wood handle, steel, straight blade. Keeps a good edge like a quality steel kitchen knife of old.

It works like this. When the blade is folded in there is a drop of pine sap/lacquer where the tip of the blade goes into the handle. It’s somewhat sticky (even on a knife that’s significantly older than I am). This holds the blade in place when the knife is closed. When the blade is fully extended there is a ring around the top of the knife that you can manually rotate in either direction to lock the blade in place. Oddball but a solid design. Pictures below:

Overall knife with the blade folded closed:

With the blade open:

Lock with the model number stamped in it:

Knife with blade extended, lock open:

Lock closed:

Blade retention “system” hard to see but the color difference inside the bottom of the slit in the wood is that sappy stuff:

Overall a pretty nice knife. Nothing fancy by modern standards but this one is from about 1920, so it’s 96 years old and still works just fine. My only complaint with the design is that if you leave the knife sitting too long that sappy stuff gets a really good grip on the tip of the blade which makes it hard to open. Decent utility knife, not for self defense.

2. avatar jay lz says:

Cute little Sig

3. avatar Justin Case says:

Field Notes… CONFIDENTIAL. No pencil.
    Also, what’s up with all these credit card sleeves they call ‘wallets’? Am i the only one who still carries cash? If all you carry is a credit card, what’s the gun for?

/rant

1. avatar jwm says:

The bad guy may be after more than your cash. Or he might get pissed if you have none. Or……

2. avatar strych9 says:

Unless I am traveling I never carry more than $40, usually in the form of one or two $20 bills. Most sleeves like this have a money clip on them too. It’s slimmer in your pocket.

Right now I use a tri-fold wallet and I usually take it out of my pocket in the car.

1. avatar Tile floor says:

I never carry cash. If some dude gets the jump on me and already has a gun trained on me I’m giving him my wallet regardless of what is inside it. It’s not worth getting killed over money. BUT I don’t carry cash to mitigate losses should I lose the wallet or be robbed.

METTC dependent though, if I have an opportunity to draw on pawn one trying to rob me (Like I did in 2010) I will certainly so so.

4. avatar Docduracoat says:

Moar field notes!
    I want the 9 mm version of that Sig, the 938
    Then I can retire the Walther Pp/s and have a 9 mm pocket gun

1. avatar Sian says:

Not just field notes, CONFIDENTIAL field notes!

5. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

Should have bought an AMT Backup and saved 400 bucks!

1. avatar FedUp says:

AMTs are $100 now?

1. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

Around 200. And only the most basic 238 goes for less than 600 when I’ve looked.

6. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

nothing french goes in my pocket.

7. avatar LHW says:

Nerd.

8. avatar Archangel187 says:

Jason B.? Where are the multiple passports and I thought the SIG was bigger?