Repro STG 44 Sturmgewehr Assault Rifles Selling Like Hotcakes

“Working replicas of the Nazis’ storm rifle, widely considered to be the world’s first assault rifle, are now being produced in the U.S.,” cnn.com reports. “Hill & Mac Gunworks, a startup in the Atlanta suburb of Alpharetta, is reproducing the STG 44 Sturmgewehr [similar to, but not shown above], which was developed for German soldiers in World War II. The German word ‘sturm’ means to storm, or assault, and ‘gewehr’ means rifle.” Now how much would you pay?

The original Sturmgewehrs are valued by gun enthusiasts and history buffs, selling for tens of thousands of dollars. Hill & Mac is selling its reproductions for $1,799.

Mac Steil, co-owner of Hill & Mac Gunworks in Georgia, which has taken orders for 2,000 rifles since the product launch in January. “We sold more rifles the first day than we thought we’d sell all year.”

Yes well . . .

Steil said his company has fewer than 10 employees and has manufactured just 40 of the rifles so far. They’re testing them before shipping begins.

Two-thousand orders taken and zero guns delivered by a 10-man operation who’ve never manufactured a gun before (just steel targets). Good luck to both Hill & Mac Gunworks and their buyers. No seriously. Good luck.

Meanwhile, American Tactical sells a .22 version for under $500. SSD Sport Systeme Dittrich also make a repro STG 44 for around $5.5k a pop. A real deal, full0-auto STG 44 will run ya $40k, and a lot of paperwork. Want any of these?

comments

1. avatar Mecha75 says:

She was at SHOT??? oh wait, you were talking about the gun.

Don’t you mean “Repro STG 44 Sturmgewehr Assault Rifles Selling Like Pfannkuchen?”

1. avatar Mike Crognale says:

LOL, you win the internet today.

2. avatar g says:

Pwahahahahaha. Well said, Ralph.

2. avatar James69 says:

Didn’t Brad Pitt can do an AD for them??? oh, wait that was the movie “Fury”.

3. avatar Mike says:

Me likey.

4. avatar DisThunder says:

Ordered the first week of January, very, very excited to see it when it shows up sometime this summer.
    What’s with the snark, though? Coming from the Caracal former fanboy….why don’t we wait til the boxes start (or don’t start) shipping before we pile on the new guys? God knows we need more companies building stuff that’s not an AR-15 or wonder-nine clone…

5. avatar Curtis in IL says:

I don’t know from German rifles, but Wiki says they were originally chambered in 7.92×33mm Kurz. It would be nice if the repros were chambered in a caliber that’s actually available around here.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

You can order 8mm Kurz online for between $0.75 to $1/round.

Keep the brass and reload.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Thank you.
        I’m fine with the “keep the brass and reload” part.
        But many online retailers (e.g. Midway) refuse to ship ammo to Illinois because of our FOID card requirement.

I have purchased ammo from Freedom Munitions. It was a pain to upload my FOID card for them but we got it done. However, their repertoire is pretty limited.

Mostly I just like to keep things simple and limit the number of cartridges I need to keep in inventory. 12 gauge, 9mm, .357 magnum, .22LR and .223 Rem will feed darn near everything in my safe.

1. avatar Sam Helm says:

The Hill and Mac guns are being manufactured in four caliber choices: .223/5.56X45, 7.62X39, .300 BLK, and 7.93X33. The eventual plan is to offer upper kits to allow swapping between the four.

2. avatar Mike J says:

Exactly. For $1799, I can get 3 AKs or set up two pretty good ARs for which ammo is readily available.

1. avatar Andrew Lias says:

I believe one rendition has STANAG mags and 5.56/300blk. Do your research and don’t quote me on it.

Could it be a resurgence in 8 Kurz? Probably not but hey weirder has happened.

2. avatar doesky2 says:

If some company is making a living selling repros at 5.5K$ I’m guessing these guys have a pretty good business case if they can sell them at $1800.

I’m betting there will be a lot of people that would rather have this than another couple AK’s or ARs especially if you already have a safe full of them.

I’m betting there are a crap load of other potential buyers who are just waiting for a couple good reviews to show up. I should know because I’m one of them.

3. avatar DisThunder says:

The Repro is available chambered in 7mm Kurtz, .223, 7.62×39 and .300BLK.

4. avatar Timmer says:

I actually saw some at my local Cabelas. I think it was PPU brand, but I don’t remember, I was just shocked to see it.

5. avatar Cliff H says:

My very first two questions when I first heard of these: 1. How much will it cost me, and 2. Can I get it in 5.56 or 7.62 NATO?

I’m much more interested in the rifle itself than in the historical cartridge it originally used.

6. avatar Old Law Prof says:

Stop playing into the hands of the Antis. No semi-automatic action firearm is an “assault weapon”. No matter how much calling it one helps your sales. Stupid manufacturer’s advertising compaigns created this problem (remember Black Talon, errrrr “felon” ammunition)?

1. avatar Cliff H says:

To the Anti 2A crowd EVERY semi-auto rifle is an “Assault Rifle” so calling this reproduction by that term, since the original StG44 WAS an assault rifle, hardly helps or hurts our side in the slightest.

7. avatar Andrew Lias says:

Forgotten Weapons or Inrange did a few vids on these repops. Excellent to watch.

1. avatar Pete says:

Indeed. I don’t know what whip hit under RF’s tail.

8. avatar James in AZ says:

The first and ONLY assault rifle

Find me another one whose official issue name has an Assault in it

1. avatar AncientEgyptian says:

I can name two: The Swiss Sig Stg57,and the Austrian version of the FAL called Stg58

9. avatar anaxis says:

I saw a real StG-44 at Dragonman’s in Colorado Springs some years ago, IIRC it had a $30k price-tag. As much as I wanted to handle it, I knew it was worth far more than I am, and the irrational thought of it spontaneously flying apart in my hands in front of Mel terrified me.

But as far as reproductions go, I’d much rather have one of these FG-42s…. in .308.

10. avatar formerwaterwalker says:

Looks cool. Sorry-I can only afford an entry level AR that actually works. BTW just spied the mother lode of Nazi guns,daggers,flags,uniforms and everything you can possibly imagine selling silver to a dude. Also lots of other WW2 militaria. AND he has a fantastic collection of old west lever guns-including an original Henry. Wanted to sell ME a Luger…and he’s looking to buy too.

1. avatar jwm says:

See. Meeting folks like that is where you antique dealers have an advantage over us illegally carrying Californians. 🙂

1. avatar formerwaterwalker says:

HA! I guess we’re in an exclusive club targeted by(perhaps) the most retarded troll ever. BTW I wasn’t in his shop as a dealer-just selling sterling pieces (sadly)worth more now as scrap…BTW I haven’t revealed the 1/2 of it.

11. avatar Patrulje68 says:

I really need to win the lottery…

12. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Not a bad price. I’ve handled the .22lr versions, they seemed super heavy.
    Wonder what the weight will be on these?
    .300blk would be really cool.

1. avatar HJ says:

You can totally get it in that. Actually, as I recall, it’s modular enough to shoot something like four calibers with barrel swaps.

2. avatar doesky2 says:

I think they are like the originals…..HEAVY.

11LB 10oz….unloaded

Not the best wifey gun.

13. avatar OFT says:

I wonder how many right handed people will be P.O.ed when they finally get theirs and realize they need to be a lefty to release the magazine. That’s right kids the mag release is on the right side far from the reach of your trigger finger. Yeah affordable stg44 is cool and all but ergos matter too.

1. avatar Pete says:

Modern ergos on a repro? U mad, bro? Next you ask for thumb safety on a Mosin.

1. avatar OFT says:

I think you miss the point. I don’t want the release in reach of the finger I just want it on the correct side of the gun. you know like the original. Lol

1. avatar Edward Clark says:

It is on the left side on the original. Don’t you have the internet? Also why are you bitchin about that when they neutered the “sturm” feature?

14. avatar Timmy! says:

I know this has nothing to do with this post, but…

I literally just noticed the “Next” and “Previous” arrows are back on the sides of the screen! Thank you TTAG for bringing them back.

15. avatar Kroglikepie says:

To answer the OP question: a working original. Hughes Amendment can suck it.

16. avatar Dave says:

Who is the brave soul walking downrange at 0:21 ????

17. avatar wendy says:

If it’s semi auto only its not an assault rifle.