I Don’t Want Your MTV: Music Network Goes All-In for Gun Control

Well that was stupid. “MTV’s Elect This presents our elite political robo-pundits, giving you their opinions on gun control.” breitbart.com reports that “Among the campaign’s digital video series will be a ‘Robo-Roundtable’ that uses animatronic versions of alligators, parrots and robots to discuss issues. Millennial voters can tweet @electthis with their opinions on hot-button issues, and the tweets will be used to voice the robots.” And who, pray tell, is behind this, this, whatever it is? Not the NRA. Here’s the list . . .

MTV partnered with numerous progressive organizations in launching the campaign, including the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, GLAAD, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), Rock the Vote, Everytown for Gun Safety, FWD.us, NextGen Climate, Change.org and Define American. Other partners include the Truman National Security Project and the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN).

My God, how far we’ve fallen. Well, the mainstream media, anyway.

[h/t RW]

comments

1. avatar Big Jim says:

I guess it’s a good thing I haven’t watched MTV In about 20 years now LOL What happened to the music videos LOL Replaced by crap instead

1. avatar Cliff H says:

YouTube first and Smartphones later made music videos on television irrelevant. MTV itself has further worked to make itself irrelevant. Finally.

Yeah. Even Sting doesn’t want his MTV anymore.

1. avatar Phil LA says:

Neither does Mark Knopfler.

Sting is the guy who was singing “I want my MTV” in the background of Dire Straits “Money for Nothing.”

Brothers in Arms is one of the great albums of all time. I had it on vinyl, and now I have it on CD. I’m still blown away by “Ride Across the River.”

2. avatar beefeater says:

Why doesn’t MTV play music videos anymore?

2. avatar Chip Bennett says:

Sounds like a Progressive Who’s Who list.

1. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

They might think of themselves as ‘progressive’ but what they advocate for always seems to be more accurately described as regressive, to me at least…..

1. avatar bobmcd says:

“Cancer that is growing, spreading, or getting worse” is a progressive disease, says the National Cancer Institute.

1. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

Good point.

3. avatar FormerWaterWalker says:

So THAT’S what the youngun’s are listening nowadaze…

4. avatar Vhyrus says:

MTV stopped being relevant to anyone about 10 years ago. My sister doesn’t even watch it and she’s 23.

1. avatar Red in CO says:

Hey, hey, come on. Ridiculousness is a really funny show… and the only good one on the network. Seems like, with that one exception, the network is comprised of mindless partisan bleeding (see above) or shows that could be mistaken for being on VH1. And for the record, I’m 21.

5. avatar jwm says:

mtv? Ain’t that the beavis and butthead channel? Pauley Shore? In other words, who gives a fuck.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Beavis, Butt-Head, and Guns:

2. avatar Indiana Tom says:

At least Beavis and Butthead were sort of entertaining. I actually knew some people in High School that really were not too far from those two.

6. avatar Accur81 says:

The YouTube videos is actually open for likes / dislikes and comments. Let them know what you think of their “masterpiece.”

7. avatar jwtaylor says:

Didn’t they go off the air 20 years ago?
    And WTF with the ACLU?

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

The ACLU has been anti-gun for as long as I can remember, clear back to the late 80’s.

1. avatar Cadeyrn says:

Yeah, funny how the ACLU devoutly defends *some* of the Bill of Rights and completely ignores others.

Funny story: an organization I belong to in Maryland requires reporting of charitable activities (none of that is really voluntary). I routinely report my contributions to the NRA to them just so I can imagine all of the colors their faces turn when they read it.

8. avatar anaxis says:

I stopped watching MTV when they axed Headbangers Ball and Liquid Television…. so that’s about 20yrs ago. When they came out with that Real World show and I saw how popular it was, I knew my generation was destined for ignominy.

1. avatar Bob says:

“I stopped watching MTV when they axed Headbangers Ball”.

Used to be HB was the only way I could get my metal. Sirius and YouTube is where my metal has come from for a long time. Once mtv stopped playing videos, it was done.

9. avatar Michael says:

Sad….still miss Don Kirschner’s rock concert…

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

You and me both. And you just gave me a serious flashback!

1. avatar Michael says:

I was just a kid at the time, but it left a lasting impression.

10. avatar Keystone says:

MTV still exists? Huh, you learn something new every day.

1. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Yeah, was sort of surprised the crap channel still exists.
      My oldest daughter used to watch it about 20 years ago…until I pulled the plug on TV.
      My youngest daughter probably does not even know what it is.

11. avatar Pascal says:

Viacom owns MTV and the only reason it still exits is because it gets bundled with other channels. They have been selling MTV Brazil and other subs. Sumner Redstone has said he would be fine selling it or spinning it off along with Viacom Radon. It is irrelevant in today’s media world.

Gun control is not the point. This whole gun control push is about electing the Crusty Old Crook. Gun control is her signature issue. In fact, aside from hating men in particular and white people in general, it’s her only issue.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Yep. This is all “battlefield shaping” for the Dowager Empress.

13. avatar TyrannyOfEvilMen says:

If you actually watch the video, it’s so poorly done that it doesn’t really communicate anything. But anyway, once that teddy bear’s leftist gay professor tries to shove that parrot up his butt, Teddy will change his tune!

1. avatar Indiana Tom says:

They could always have Mister Slave and his gerbil.

14. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Planned Parenthood one of the sponsors? You have got to be sh!tting me.
    I suppose D&C is quieter than gunshots… Maybe they will help support the safe hearing act?!

15. avatar Phil LA says:

Thats it. Now I’m not going to watch any MTV. This did it.

[sarc]

16. avatar Lucas D. says:

I suspect that the true purpose of MTV isn’t to entertain or even persuade anyone. My theory is that some third-party NGO funds the network and is secretly keeping track of its viewership, so that if overpopulation or famine ever pushes us towards an extinction-level event, they’ll know exactly which people we can safely afford to have culled from society and made into Soylent Green.

1. avatar Cadeyrn says:

Bad news: those are they people they expect to *eat* the Soylent Green. They’re going to try to *make* it from us.

1. avatar Lucas D. says:

Not likely by that point. There are plenty of skilled workers and tradesmen in our ranks, making us too valuable to squander as a food source. We’d most likely be the ones to harvest the guzzoline and purify the Aqua Cola.

17. avatar Pro2Aguy says:

Imagine if our Nation were at the precipice of ‘communists’ besiegement before the days of the internet and social media, ‘we the people’ of whom respect and defend our Constitution would be in a much worse political environment…Back then absent a very few conservative Intellectual mediums such as William F. Buckley on PBS and several print outlets such as National Review, Wall Street Journal etc. the leftist media was all to be found on the Big Three 5:30 News deliveries which Americans relied on for politics of any kind (no cable in the 70-80’s–the only reason we survived to carry on the fight was 1) hard work of Gun Rights NRA and others and 2) the demographics had yet to swing in favor of the left to the exact point of where we are as we speak with liberal minorities dem voters seeing exploding birth rates…Conversely, while outnumbered today in terms of mere census numbers by the leftists we do have unprecedented media representation albeit not via ‘mainstream’ means which allows for the conventional political process to continue to be played out…

18. avatar doesky2 says:

MTV is a sewer pipe emptying into the back of your TV.

19. avatar The Pontificator says:

You mean people still watch MTV?

20. avatar Henry says:

MTV is now “mainstream media?” What next, Teletubbies?

1. avatar Lucas D. says:

To the Teletubbies’ credit, they respect their target audience’s intelligence a whole lot more than MTV does for their own.

21. avatar LHW says:

Aww, it’s cute that they think that they are still relevant.

22. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Do Millennial voters even know what MTV is?
    This scheme seems to be the brain trust of a bunch of old Liberal Jane Fonda types.

23. avatar derfel cadarn says:

MTV had ceased to be relevant in 1982.

24. avatar Brian buys all the cool clothes like on the videos says:

NONE OF YOU SHALL QUESTION THE IMAGE OF SOCIAL SUPERIORITY PUT OUT BY THE MASTERS. IF YOU WISH TO DEMONSTRATE YOUR AFFILIATION WITH THE SOCIAL ELITE, YOU WILL EMULATE THESE MANNERISMS AND SPEECH PATTERNS. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL PROHIBIT YOU FROM MATING RITUALS AND JUSTIFY VIOLENCE AGAINST YOU.

25. avatar ATTAG Reader says:

Our home borders a property owned by a conservative fundamentalist denomination. They run a summer camp and retreats there. Yesterday they were running a family fun fest. There was a huge sign at the gate stating No Alcohol No Tobacco No Weapons in the kind of colorful art that attracts kids’ eyes. A very disappointing conflation in a most unlikely place.

26. avatar Groutboy says:

Same here…When I was younger, I grew up watching MTV. At time , it was neat’o gee whiz new cable is cool. Used to watch Madonna videos with my pop when she still looked pretty good. But then, later in the years. The Gun control, and left-wing political propaganda started to raise it’s ugly agitprop head…Watch various awards shows to see U2 and their chief idiot strutting about with “gun control now shirts, etc…” Nope…No more MTV….If I really need to see a Hollyweird music vid…I’ll stream VeVo….

27. avatar gs650g says:

I’ve blocked MTV vh1 bet and a bunch of other crappie. Mostly Viacom channels. My child is not exposed to that filth even accidentally.

28. avatar Will Drider says:

MTV has not been relevant since the music died and the majority of its programing went to talking heads and reality TV. LONG LIVE RADIO and Dedicated Music Category Cable channels. ROCK ON!!!