DeSantis Gunhide Question of the Day: What Did You Tell Your Children About The Pulse Nightclub Massacre?

(courtesy aljezeera.com)

“We need our kids to hear us speak up about the risks guns pose to our communities, and against a status quo that doesnt make sense,” President Obama intoned in the aftermath of the Pulse nightclub massacre. “They need to hear us say these things even when those who disagree are loud and are powerful.” Roger that! I told my daughter that the nightclub’s owners left their customers defenseless against a not-unforseeable attack. That they should have kept a shotgun behind the bar, that their customers were happy (and stupid) to surrender their security to an off-duty police officer who ran from the sound of gunfire, and that the Orlando SWAT team should have gone in at the earliest opportunity (to save people busy bleeding out). My daughter rolled her eyes; she’s heard it all before. What did you tell your kids and how did they react?

desantis blue logo no back 4 small

comments

1. avatar TStew says:

What did I tell them? The same thing I’ve been telling them about islamofacisim for years now.

2. avatar Bob says:

That we were attacked by radical Islamic terrorist(s).

3. avatar Katy says:

Nothing. They are young enough that it isn’t something I consider a priority for them to worry about.

Of course, they are young enough that we still haven’t had the sex talk either.

1. avatar Omer Baker says:

I’m in the exact same spot.

2. avatar wes says:

Same here. I have taught all but the youngest the 4 rules though 🙂

4. avatar Stateisevil says:

That there are bad people in the world and the government uses crisis like these to take away peoples’ freedom. And that this same government has murdered countless people from the native americans right in our back yard to the brown people in the middle east. And that one day they will be responsible for their own safety and not to listen anything the state says.

5. avatar Gabe says:

My 17 year old daughter is in Japan. She said she heard something but asked me to tell her what happened (the next day). When she gets back, I plan to ask her how it was handled in the media there and what people were saying. Oh, I told her it was a terrorist attack.

6. avatar SelousX says:

I always tell my 7-YO daughter that firearms are tools that can be used for good or bad. Also, I left her know she can ask to see any of my firearms at any time, and to treat the airsoft rifle we practice with as though it was the real thing.

7. avatar Tom in Pa says:

The time we were leaving for the range on Sunday

8. avatar anonymoose says:

I don’t have any kids, and I hope to keep it that way for about another 10 years.

9. avatar Cyrano says:

Bad guys hurt people. Not enough good guys to stop him at first. Guns are as mysterious as a crescent wrench in my household.

1. avatar notalima says:

“Guns are as mysterious as a crescent wrench in my household”

Love it. I’m going to borrow that sentence.

Take away the mystery, educate, teach respect (in all things).

10. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

My daughter was reminded guns are inanimate. People are good/bad. Weapons require users to function. Guns are metal, wood and plastic. Politicians are agenda driven.

11. avatar PeterK says:

My oldest is six. I’ll spare them a constant deluge of crappy news for a little while longer.

12. avatar PsyGuy says:

I didn’t. He already knew that it was a terrorist attack based on the beliefs of radical islam (something our P*ssy of the US won’t call it) and that Regressives have thrown women’s rights as well as those of gays under the bus to be tolerant of this religion and that they never miss an opportunity to try and grab guns or suppress/restrict our rights in some way.

13. avatar Mark N. says:

No, they are both adults, and they both own two guns each. My daughter did write and tell me she thought that they would try to ban the AR (again). [She may get lucky: if California goes full retard and bans ARs, I will probably ship mine to her in Ohio instead of neutering and registering it.]

1. avatar SteveInCO says:

I imagine it will be treated as if it were yours any time you’re present.

14. avatar Mikele says:

My 9 yo daughter saw it on TV. She doesn’t like violence but isn’t afraid to defend herself. I explained in the cleanest way possible that a bad man, she said you can call him a terrorist Dad, OK a terrorist attacked a bar with a gun and many people got hurt. She asked if anybody died. I told her, to many.
    My little princess had the million dollar question.

1. avatar JR_in_NC says:

“She wrinkled her little brow in thought, then said – Why didn’t they shoot back?
      My little princess had the million dollar question.”

Indeed she did, and that’s awesome.

The world’s truths are so simple that children can grasp them. Yet, the Progressives don’t (or pretend not to) grasp those truths. That kinda says a lot about Progressives in comparison to small children, eh?

1. avatar Mikele says:

Exactly

2. avatar notalima says:

If you don’t lay down and die like a good prol then there is no crisis to leverage. Progressives hate it when you don’t lay down and die for their beliefs.

15. avatar jwm says:

Evil people will kill you if given a chance. Other evil people, like the 2 holding flowers in the pic, will make it easier for evil people to kill you.

1. avatar peirsonb says:

But those are pretty flowers we bought, aren’t they?

16. avatar FormerWaterWalker says:

Moose-lim lowlife terrorist. That’s all. My sons are 41,39,23 and 21. The oldest is ex-military fudd who spent lots of time in the mid-east,speaks arabic and thinks most moose-lims are swell…

17. avatar JR_in_NC says:

Lots of good answers above.

What did/do I tell my children? The truth…a Muslim man attacked a nightclub and killed 49 people and hurt 50 or so more. He was killed by the police. Our government is lying/trying to cover up facts about the incident for political reasons, and they (politicians on both sides) are trying to use this incident to gut both the Constitution and our way of life. They (politicians on both sides) seem to see us as their enemy more than they do Muslim terrorists.

My children are 11 and almost 14, so they are old enough to have frank discussions. They listen and participate in the discussions on these kinds of issues between my wife and I.

And, we went to the range as a family and all got in a little live fire practice.

1. avatar JR_in_NC says:

Forgot to add…some good discussions regarding “Gun Free Zones” (and their stupidity) were also had.

18. avatar Joe R. says:

Ohole and Blowhole went to Orlando to honor the fallen jihaddit-coming. They placed 72 flowers, one for each of the raisins the jihad (nothing on Christianity) got.

My daughter is a grown woman from New York City, which means that I can’t tell her sh!t.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

You raised her right… 🙂

Eh, is she single?

20. avatar James in AZ says:

“Garden variety of the so-called ‘terrorism'”

“49 dead is really no biggie compared with what happens in this shitty world everyday.”

“No idea whether there is a conspiracy or not. It’s just too convenient for the dems. Yet islamic threat seems pretty real.”

“They spinned this ideological attack, or a hate crime at least, into a gun control debate somehow. This farce is either caused by an intentional move on gun control, or just politicians that dont know how to address the real problem yet they have to “do something” for the voters to look. Look at what happened after 9/11 and check out that cesspool called DHS and TSA.”

“Do people honestly, like SERIOUSLY HONESTLY, believe that even a total weapons ban coulda stopped this? I thought we killed each other just fine before gunpowder was a thing.”

“Make sure you are not one of those 49. Fancying clubs and bars? How about getting some family recreation at home or at some healthier places? Read a book, playstation, youtube, netflix, work out, study something that makes money, play with car configurators, watch some games with family, teach the kids some skills, bang a wife/girlfriend(s)/coworker(s)/hooker(s)…”

“Dont worry, the NRA has our back” “ohoo shit…”

21. avatar Indiana Tom says:

What did you tell your kids and how did they react?
    The Russian Intelligence Colonel says it all in 9th Company.

1. avatar AaronW says:

9th Company was fantastic. Great film to watch as a companion to the Beast.

1. avatar Bob in Calif says:

Why would I want to watch anything concerning the “Beast” (HRC)