101 Uses for an FN M249 SAW: Home Defense

A couple days ago I posted my review of FN’s M249S Semi-Automatic SAW. One of the areas where I thought the gun might excel was in home defense — maximum ammunition capacity, a stable firing platform, and if all else fails you could club someone to death with it pretty easily. So I decided to put the SAW into a typical bump-in-the-night scenario and see how it worked, with a little help from Dan and Kristen.

comments

1. avatar Andrew Lias says:

hahahahaha

2. avatar pwrserge says:

Yeah, depends on what you’re defending your home FROM, now don’t it?

1. avatar ActionPhysicalMan says:

Yeah, I’d be defending my life from my wife for spending so much on something of such limited utility. In that case it would do me no good as she would bushwhack me with poison or a push down the stairs.

1. avatar pwrserge says:

Yeah, the sad part is that the full version would cost half as much if the 1986 bad was not a thing…

3. avatar CLarson says:

Seems legit. 😉

4. avatar MeRp says:

Video won’t play. Too bad you didn’t just use youtube like everyone else.

1. avatar peirsonb says:

I don’t care much which player it is, but disabling auto play, at least on the main page, would be cool.

2. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Same here. Even tried disabling the ad block for this page and I got to see an ad, but the video still wouldn’t load.

5. avatar Out_Fang_Thief says:

OK. I watched 2 ads, and no video. Done.

1. avatar Mikial says:

It worked for me. Believe me, you didn’t miss anything.

6. avatar DrewR55 says:

Probably better to send KJW down with a couple of suppressed .22’s.

7. avatar Noishkel says:

The M249 for home defense? No, not so much…

Now if you’re talking about another LA Riot situation where you’ll have to defend your entire neighborhood from being burnt down by Bernie Sander’s supports? THAT’S a good use for the M249. Especially if there is anyway at all to install one of those binary trigger systems I keep reading about. |3

1. avatar MarkF says:

I strongly remember a photo taken on a rooftop in LA with Koreans who owned stores downstairs standing watch with their ARs. How much more street cred would you get from even a semi-auto SAW? And potentially MUCH faster Police response to your neighborhood, though that might also get a bit risky.

2. avatar anonymoose says:

Berners are more likely to hurt themselves than cause a real riot. They’re mostly skinny white college kids. Hillary supporters are the savages lookin fo’ mo’ o’ dat welfare. Heck, some of them rushed the stage, shoved Bernie aside at one of his own rallies, and threatened to shut it down if he didn’t let them yell about Black Lives Mattering an’ shit. Remember, the kid who tried to kill Trump wasn’t even an American citizen, so he has no dog in the fight.

1. avatar Ing says:

Seems to me that Crazy has a dog in just about every fight these days.

2. avatar Scoutino says:

Didn’t I read somewhere that he overstayed his visa? In such case I can see his motive him being one of those illegal aliens Trump hates so much.

8. avatar MarkF says:

Works for me. Does anyone know if it can be attached to a pintle mount, say on a jeep like in Rat Patrol? If you were born after 1970 you’d have to Google it. Even better, would it not be awesome mounted on a roll bar on a Land Rover Defender?

Use #92: Anchors a picnic tarp in the wind.

Use #18: Level-set with the neighbors when they watch you carrying to your truck for a range trip. When they ask you, “why do you need that!?!” just go all squinty-eyed, turn your head to the side and spit, and then say, “Gubmint.” No more wasted time hearing neighbors whining about your tree dropping leaves in their yard.

1. avatar anonymoose says:

Yeah. The tripod attachment points are also the pintle attachment points, and it works with the same pintles and tripods as an M1919, M60, and M240.

9. avatar Matt in Oklahoma says:

I’d get the roving gangs of squirrels outta the attic then!!! Love the ammo bearer and breakfast alarm!

10. avatar Gunsplain says:

Totally jelly of being in speaking range of KJW. She’s one smart lady.

11. avatar Trevor says:

She looks way to hot for him.

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

Yeah, well, they don’t call him “Big D” because he’s tall.

12. avatar Tom in Georgia says:

You folks need to get your names straight!

Kristen Joy Weiss, the .22 goddess and Kirsten Meisner, the equally vivacious newbie, are two different people.

I don’t know what the Schnauzer’s name is, but hopefully he’s smart enough to wake Dan up just before the door bursts open 🙂

Glad to see we can still have a bit of humor in these otherwise frustrating times.

Tom

1. avatar Ing says:

And here I was thinking it was a Weiss reunion. Should’ve paid closer attention. But you, sir, should check your own privilege. It’s Kirsten Joy Weiss and Kristin Meissner.

To go from newbie on the range to costarring with an M249 SAW in only a matter of weeks…this girl is on a rocket ship ride to the top.

1. avatar Tom in Georgia says:

I stand corrected, sir. You’ll have to forgive me – I was somewhat distracted, just like all the rest of us 🙂

Tom

13. avatar jwtaylor says:

Dan, you can load a SAW, and more importantly, sleep behind it. You’re 80% of the way to being an infantryman.

1. avatar Tom in Georgia says:

That dog’s becoming kinda famous, too. You gotta give him 50% of the credit just for being such a nice alarm clock :p

Tom

1. She was clearly the star of that show.

14. avatar Christian says:

could you put like a bump fire stock on it or something?

15. avatar jwm says:

I don’t want any weapon that I have to spend more time cleaning and lubing it than I do myself. If it won’t run without lavish attention and care it’s just a range toy.

16. avatar Matt says:

All this from the same guy who told us rifles are too bulky for home defense.
    “There’s a huge difference between defending your home in the middle of the night and kicking down doors in Afghanistan that seems to be lost on most people who read this article. Home defense is about moving, communicating, and fighting in tight spaces when you’re not prepared.”

1. avatar Randall Taylor says:

The staff sems to forget their past writings whenever they are slobbering on FN or SIG products.

2. avatar jwtaylor says:

Stop taking thing so seriously. The video is clearly comedy.

17. avatar Phil says:

To me, any good home should have a belt-fed machine gun… that’s probably one of the best home defence gun, mainly if you live in a remote area! I was already considering a MG-42, MG-53, PKM or UK-59… so, why not 🙂

18. avatar BLoving says:

Nick! You need to make this video before you have to return that toy! :
    Take a log, four or six inches in diameter.
    In turn, cut through it with a hand saw, a chain saw, and an FN SAW.
    Post the results.

1. avatar Tom in Georgia says:

It’s a semiauto, not FA so that’ll take a lot of trigger pulls. Might have to rotate in and out when the fingers start to cramp up. But still a great idea.

Tom

19. avatar Mikial says:

Owning a semi-auto only version of a SAW is like buying guns with fake suppressors. Why bother?

A semi M249 is essentially a heavy, difficult to wield rifle with very limited utility and pretty much the last thing I would grab to defend myself and my family.

20. avatar JamesB.Mango says:

Ahahahaah. That was definitely the best video ive ever seen. Chick has wicked nice legs by the way! If my budget ever let’s me afford a serious SHTF gun, first thing id buy is an M249. Guaranteed. But, my budget will never allow that.

If your mowing down zombies with that set up, then your all set to go… Otherwise, home defense… Thats a tough argument.

21. avatar LHW says:

Say hello to my little friend.