Defensive Gun Use of the Day: Legally Armed Customers Stop Walmart Shooting

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 2.26.56 PM

“Augusta Police say two bystanders, legally armed with handguns, stepped in during a shooting incident at a Walmart in Augusta. Police say four suspects were taken into custody by police Sunday after allegedly firing gunshots in the parking lot of a Walmart.” Clearly another case of shoddy media reporting standards. As we all know, guns are only used to wreak death and destruction on an unarmed, peace-loving populace.

If you’re not going to believe an authoritative source like Slate on that point, who are you going to believe?

The suspects involved were sitting in vehicles parked next to each other when the altercation arose. The occupants of one vehicle fired at the occupants of the other, which resulted in return gunfire.

When the shooting stopped, police said one suspect exited their vehicle to confront the occupants of the other. This is when two bystanders, who were legally carrying, interfered and stopped the incident, police said.

Remember that your betters at Politico also advise that incidents like this really don’t happen. So move along and don’t try this at home, kids.

comments

1. avatar My life matters says:

Reason number 785 I do not frequent Wally World.

1. avatar Mikele says:

Oh my $%&#$ goodness!?

2. avatar MP says:

Actually, that is usually how I go to Walmart. It’s a PITA moving the DJ through the aisles. Dat Azz Tho

3. avatar red Sox says:

Fat chicks with fat asses twerking, no thanks I’d prefer buckshot to the face.

2. Oops this goes against the the left’s theory about gun owners. However this will never make the drive by media.

3. avatar O2HeN2 says:

I’d really like to know if the “two bystanders” knew each other or if this was the unpossible [according to the media] of two people carrying not shooting each other.

O2

1. avatar Nathan says:

They were unknown to each other, and these guys were both open carrying.

1. avatar O2HeN2 says:

Well so much for the “good guys will shoot each other” fiction!

O2

4. avatar Just Another Day At TTAG says:

Sounds like another hero complex. Plenty of room to haul ass in a Wal Mart parking lot.

1. avatar Nathan says:

I both agree and disagree with the notion that you should look after your own safety and nothing more. I get it, you could make a bad situation worse, but by not intervening, such as in this case, the situation could easily have continued to escalate and we could be reading about a murder. The police, bless them, took minutes to arrive, the incident was well over by the time they got there, because these two drew down, told the druggies to slow their roll, didn’t try and apprehend the ones that fled and simply kept an eye on those who remained.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that it’s the wrong thing to intervene as a general rule, I think it’s entirely dependent on the persons training, experience and the actual situation on the ground. In this case, I think they made the right call.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

In this case it sounds like you had two cars of people shooting at each other. That is a really, really bad situation to get involved in when you probably don’t know who the good guys are, if there are any, and can expect both cars to become an immediate threat to you.

1. avatar Sunshine_Shooter says:

The ‘good guys’ are the ones not shooting at you.

2. avatar Jack says:

Depends on your wally world. Mines chock full of obese people on rascals on the slow speed and people blocking the way because they’re waiting 5 minutes for a better spot so they don’t have to walk an extra 30yds

5. avatar Roger Cain says:

Obama will be along shortly to call the bystanders hero’s.

Nah, he’ll call them radical right-wingers instead.

6. avatar Tommygun says:

Who’s the token white chick? Bet it was all her fault.

1. avatar formerwaterwalker says:

Who sez she’s a token?Looks ruff- she’s the gun moll(looks like a crack wh##e)…at least Wally World doesn’t have those idiotic “no beretta” signs(even in Illinois).

1. avatar Tommygun says:

Tongue-in-cheek, dude. Hello, whitey gotta take the fall – right?

1. avatar Jordan says:

Hardly. You bring a token white person along to be able to talk to police without getting beaten and arrested. (Ever seen Dave Chappelle’s stand up? He illustrates the prime example.) 😉

2. avatar Tommygun says:

Is that like Driving While Black?

7. avatar anaxis says:

FWIW, I’ve been seeing a lot more people open-carrying in my store since Orlando. Before, I’d spot maybe one or two in a 10hr shift; now I see at least 4…. and those are just the ones that I happen come through my area. I’m sure the actual number of CCer and OCers throughout the day is much higher.
    So far the only gun-related incident has been a customer shooting himself in the leg with his Glock while sitting in his truck. The genius actually came in looking for trigger parts, and decided to do a little parkinglot gunsmithing after learning we don’t carry Glock parts.

1. avatar Anita says:

I love Georgia. When i lived there ,i carried my gun on my hip,had to walk to my sister-in-laws house.A truck full of Mex.l mean the whole back of the farmTruck was packed went by me ,looking,l put my hand on my gun they turned their heads around fast .Still had my hand on my gun ,Sheriff and deputy went by and waved.l love Georgia.

8. avatar Mark Kelly's Diapered Drooling Ventriloquist's Dummy says:

Again Maine Governor Paul LePage is proven correct. In January of 2016 Democrats (Liberals/Progressives) and their race-hustling allies excoriated him when he said he “urban” drug dealers “are guys with the name D-Money, Smoothie, Shifty; these types of guys, they come from Connecticut and New York, they come up here, they sell their heroin, they go back home. Incidentally, half the time they impregnate a young, white girl before they leave, which is a real sad thing because then we have another issue we have to deal with down the road.”.

The truth will set you free.

Vote Trump!

9. avatar Mk10108 says:

Caught and Soon to be released. The revolving door of judicial cash flow.

1. avatar Cliff H says:

So long as it remains a relatively slow rate of rire revolver (unless Jerry Miculek is in town) and not what too many urban centers use, which is semi-automatic.

2. avatar Cliff H says:

As long as it’s the relatively slow rate of fire revolver justice system rather than the semi-automatic of most urban centers.

10. avatar Sam I Am says:

BS FLAG !!
    BS FLAG !!

There has never been a defensive use of a gun, never a defensive use of a gun to stop any crime or attack, never been a defensive use of a gun in the hands of a good guy to stop a bad guy with a gun. Internet says so, studies say so.

This reported incident could not have happened as written.

BS FLAG !!

Right?

1. avatar Kendahl says:

Wrong.

11. avatar Out_Fang_Thief says:

The sincere concern, sprinkled lightly with condescending tones from the Po-Po about what your place in society should be….sheep,….watchful, dutiful,….but sheep none-the-less. This some people are more equal than others shit from Johnny Law, is becoming more than just a little annoying. They can’t just admit to us that they can’t be everywhere we need them to be, and how most of the time, whenever we’re armed and able,….we ARE. How about a fucking “Thank you!” to start? The right people, at the right time, deployed the proper, safe, judicious use of force. Bravo.

12. avatar FedUp says:

If both sides are shooting at each other, not only do I not know which side is the aggressor, but clearly the victims don’t need armed strangers to protect them if they have their own guns.

No way I’d confront the shooters in this incident.

1. avatar Cliff H says:

I tend to believe that the armed intervention was on behalf of the parking lot full of innocent bystanders and was intended to stop the indiscriminate firing from both vehicles, regardless of who was the aggressor.

The intent was to stop the shooting, not to dispense justice or decide which side was right or wrong.

13. avatar Indiana Tom says:

So we have people shooting at each other from cars parked next to each other and nobody got hit?
    Why would anyone intervene when this is obviously evolution in action?

1. avatar Just Another Day At TTAG says:

No friggin clue. Zimmerman complex.

2. avatar Cliff H says:

You’ve never visited a Wal-Mart during the day? There were a whole lot more people in that parking lot than just the 4 in those cars that decided to fire (inaccurately) at each other. The amazing restraint by the armed responders, who undoubtedly were well aware of Rule #4, in not just filling both cars with lead, is commendable.

1. avatar Just Another Day At TTAG says:

Fill the black fella’s cars full of lead? Not me, mahn. Did you not see Zimmerman, The Movie? Starring George Zimmerman?

1. avatar Cliff H says:

Would not surprise me if there were cameras in that parking lot, or at least a lot of people with Smart phones. An advantage that GZ did not have.

And I do not recall any mention of the ethnicity of the armed Good Guys.

2. avatar Indiana Tom says:

…and probably most of the surrounding shoppers were the same caliber as the people in the cars.

14. avatar Southern Cross says:

Any mention if meth was involved? At least numbers 3 and 4 look like meth users.

1. avatar formerwaterwalker says:

That was MY thought. Drugged to max be-otch…

15. avatar Steve says:

Kwiesha isn’t a girls name?

1. avatar Cliff H says:

Kwiesha is a name?

16. avatar Dean says:

Mighty fine way to get your ass shot by trying to step in.

17. avatar jwm says:

That white girl looks like jason mewes.

18. avatar Mikial says:

Guaranteed this’ll never hit the lamestream media.