Ban Micro-Magnetic Guns!

You could put an eye out with that thing!

comments

1. avatar Mr. Woodcock says:

I feel “micro” aggressed by this weapon of war. Damn you TTAG!…..this was supposed to be a “safe place”. /extreme Sarc off

2. avatar Vhyrus says:

a non electrically based Gauss gun… clever.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

It would be possible to make a version of that where a charged cap bank discharges into a coil of wire acting against a rare-earth magnetized flechette.

I can imagine the charging circuit sounding like a photographer’s flash gun…

3. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

After seeing this video, Shannon Watts calls Bloomberg and convinces him to finance MAIM.
    For the children ™. because moms gotta mom.

4. avatar MLee says:

Just about anything other than a huge nerf ball can put out an eye. Those things wouldn’t even stick in your skin.
    Boring!

5. avatar Frank Masotti says:

I want to see a working gun like prototype, shooting something resembling bullets at there gun powder speed, distance, and accuracy. That’s just me though. 🙂

1. avatar A. C. says:

There are several YouTube videos showing larger, but electrically operated prototypes of Gauss guns (aka coil guns). Check ’em out.

Coil guns don’t appear to have the potentials that railguns do.

6. avatar jwm says:

Is this the dread .9mm I’ve been hearing about?

7. avatar CCDWGuy says:

Oh no, if someone figured out how to do it with a bigger magnet it might start a new escalation to something that would almost be an airgun!!! I’m so, so afraid of the possibilities. This and the Iranian nuke possibility just scare me to near death!! Why can’t someone stop progress!!!

8. avatar Steven says:

My god do I want one

9. avatar Paul says:

Interesting, if you make a hammer out of an opposite pole’d magnet than the firing pin, and then had the floating firing pin connect as this video shows….I think you could have something.

10. avatar Paul says:

I’m waiting for the SBR semi-automatic version, with quad rails, a free floating barrel, adjustable stock, and tritium night sights.