New from Apex Tactical: 2016 “Dream Gun”

Apex Dream Gun

The last time Apex Tactical introduced a heavily modified Smith & Wesson “dream gun” Smith’s legal department claimed copyright infringement. When the move raised a hue & cry Smith backed-down claimed it was all a misunderstanding. Apex is back with their 2016 Dream Gun. “DP Custom Works, Blowndeadline Custom and SSVI give the pistol its unique appearance,” Apex’s ammoland.com presser proclaims [full text after the jump]. “DP Custom Works machined the slide, lightening it and adding side and top scales. Pulling from a Cerakote color palette consisting of NRA blue, a custom mixed blue, midnight bronze, graphite black, titanium and a custom mixed yellow, Blowndeadline Custom created a finish that will be immediately recognizable to fans of the popular game Borderlands as that of fictional weapons manufacturer Torgue. The finishing touch is the signature look of SSVI’s 360º texturing, hard edge bordering, undercut and trigger guard texturing, as well as forward reference point texturing.” OK then . . .

LOS OSOS, Calif. – -(Ammoland.com)-  Apex Tactical Specialties has once again teamed up with the hottest trio of custom gun builders on another Dream Gun build for the Brownells Dream Guns Project. The result of the collaboration, a one-of-a-kind M&P C.O.R.E. 9mm, will be showcased in the Brownells booth (#3401) during the 2016 NRA Show in Louisville, Kentucky.

“Following on the popularity and notoriety of our first collaboration, Brownells asked us to put together a second Dream Gun, this time for display at the 2016 NRA Show in Louisville. We’re excited to present the result of our latest group collaboration to the tens of thousands of show attendees who, like us, all have a passion for firearms,” said Scott Folk, vice president of Apex.

Getting the band back together for this second Dream Gun build for Brownells, Apex called on the talented Doug Presson of DP Custom Works, Mike Sigouin of Blowndeadline Custom and Damon Young of SSVI to give the M&P C.O.R.E. Dream Gun its distinctive one-of-a-kind look.

The Brownells Dream Guns Project was started in 2011 to help feature the wide range of parts and accessories available from Brownells that customers can use to upgrade and customize their own pistols, rifles and shotguns.

To date over 100 Dream Guns® have been built and are available for review at Brownells.com.

Apex’s contribution to the build was a suite of key performance parts that have made Apex the go-to company for M&P upgrades. Included in this build are the company’s newly released patent pending Apex Grade 5.00” Gunsmith Fit Barrel, patented Flat-Faced Forward Set Sear & Trigger Kit, with the “Red Flatty” anodized trigger sold exclusively by Brownells, the Failure Resistant Extractor, patented Reset Assist Mechanism and Apex 10-8 Performance Polymer Base Pads.

Additionally, Apex outfitted the pistol with a Catalyst Extended Magazine Release from 21 Century Gunfighter and a slide-mounted Viper Reflex Sight from Vortex Optics. Also contributing to the build was flashlight and weapon light manufacturer Inforce which supplied one of their popular APL 200 lumen pistol lights.

However, it’s the work of DP Custom Works, Blowndeadline Custom and SSVI that gives the pistol its unique appearance. DP Custom Works machined the slide, lightening it and adding side and top scales. Pulling from a Cerakote color palette consisting of NRA blue, a custom mixed blue, midnight bronze, graphite black, titanium and a custom mixed yellow, Blowndeadline Custom created a finish that will be immediately recognizable to fans of the popular game Borderlands as that of fictional weapons manufacturer Torgue. The finishing touch is the signature look of SSVI’s 360º texturing, hard edge bordering, undercut and trigger guard texturing, as well as forward reference point texturing.

The upgraded and customized Apex M&P Dream Gun is valued at over $3,000 and will be on display throughout the 2016 NRA Show in the Brownells booth and is sure to garner a great deal of attention from show attendees.

Apex M&P C.O.R.E. Dream Gun Features:

For more information on parts and services from Apex Tactical Specialties, visit www.ApexTactical.com, like Apex Tactical on Facebook or follow @ApexTactical on Instagram and Twitter. Instructional videos on the installation of Apex parts are available on Apex’s YouTube channel.

comments

1. avatar Hannibal says:

Wow, it takes work to make a gun that ugly!

2. avatar Rob says:

I’ve always liked the lines of the M&P series guns. They felt great in my hands vs my pre gen 4 Glocks. I tried to love my M&P .45 compact (it was decidedly NOT “compact”) I agonized for months over the Shield that I ended up never buying….Why? The horrible factory triggers. A lot of folks hate on the Glock trigger, but I’ve grown very used to it. The M&P’s are in a class of bad all their own. The Apex triggers are supposed to make them much better, so why doesn’t S&W just fix the damned things up front and raise the price $50?

1. avatar NJGunGuy says:

Probably becuase people keep buying the M&P with the crappy factory trigger. If people stopped buying the M&P and clearly told S&W that the reason is the trigger, then I’m sure S&W would correct the “problem” once their wallets were not filling up as quickly.

2. avatar thisoneguy says:

Have you tried an M&P produced within the last year? The triggers are significantly better now.

3. avatar Alex waits says:

That looks like every other custom gun carpeting my instagram.

4. avatar JoshFormerlyinGA says:

Wow that thing is ugly as sin. If you paid me to take it, I would be inclined to part it out rather than sell it whole and impose that ugliness on anyone else.

5. avatar SD3 says:

It looks like that freak who did plastic surgery until she looked like Franken-Barbie.
    But uglier.

6. avatar ActionPhysicalMan says:

Rick Deckard’s new gun?

7. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

Just because you can… doesn’t mean you should.

8. avatar Paul53 says:

I guess the difference between dream and nightmare is subjective.

9. avatar Koop says:

I hope they include a custom holster for that monster. Something in basic black, covering nearly all of the forward slide deco, so that the winner can conceal it until he chooses to reveal its unique glory to the unsuspecting.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

Or at least a pillowcase or burlap sack to hide it in so your friends don’t see it.

That thing is fugly.

2. avatar Hannibal says:

Wow that’s actually a point worth considering… you may not have to shoot it because when you draw it the bad guys will be too busy shutting their eyes. Or rolling around laughing.

10. avatar jwtaylor says:

How does it shoot?

11. avatar dsreno says:

-Consumes 6 ammo per shot
    -Deals bonus explosive damage

1. avatar Dr Brainwash says:

I was thinking 10 point poison damage myself.

2. avatar Wilson says:

Plus it’s a Tediore, “explodes like a grenade when reloaded”.

12. avatar Anonymous says:

I can’t get over the plastic frame. I’d rather have an EAA witness:

13. avatar Wilson says:

Ugly, tacticool, requires batteries and custom holster.

Three strikes, you’re out and I just gave you four.

14. avatar Accur81 says:

Interesting, but I’d rather have a normal M&P with an Apex trigger upgrade.

15. avatar Swarf says:

Apex: What you want?

Brownells: Just fu*k it up.

Apex: Say no more, fam.

*dumps parts in a blender*

16. avatar Not Fred says:

Is the frame supposed to be bowed like that?

17. avatar Royal Tony says:

Even if I was inclined to spend this kind of money on “dream” guns, I could not in good conscience. I’d be afraid the other guns in the safe would be mean. Making fun of it, and possibly beating it up for lunch money. And I just can not condone Gun Violence like that.

18. avatar EJQ says:

I’d rather have a Dan Wesson. Most cost less.

19. avatar Reef Blastbody says:

I’d take items 1-8 on my 9MM CORE (and put the Trijicon RM05 on something else), and gladly forego the last 3 items. APEX can make the M&Ps nasty trigger a joy to shoot, but they can keep that ghawd awful cosmetic crap.

20. avatar RenegadeDave says:

So there’s at least a G in that gun between custom frame work, cerakoteing, doodads that affix to the slide and rail, obvious action parts.

So i want to draw parallels here. I’ll bet most of the folks here who think doing this kind of silliness to a plastic gun is a noble pursuit also derided folks who put fart cans on their civics in the late 90’s/early 2000’s.

Making a “custom” $500 gun is basically the same thing as lowering and putting a body kit on a civic. That’s what you’re doing. The horizon has expanded beyond the world of M&P and Glock, maybe try a different gun that comes more the way you want it, there’s a good chance it’s out there, or a lot closer to it anyway.

21. avatar Jim S. says:

That paint job is WAY to subdued for a Torgue gun.
    Besides I prefer Jakobs, because “If you had to shoot it more than once, you weren’t using a Jakobs.”

1. avatar Brick says:

It’s got the checkered flag pattern on the muzzle. It’s Torgue. EXPLOSIONS! PECS!

22. Uggh. That’s seriously, and I mean this constructively, a dumpster fire. A hot wet stinking smoldering rotting mess.

23. avatar Swarf says:

Piffle. No cup holder, no sale.

24. avatar Flynn says:

As a fan of Borderlands, I actually like the look, its exactly what I’d want in a post apocalyptic future. Especially if it can be upgraded to shoot lasers instead of bullets.

25. avatar Nate says:

Ugly as hell.

26. avatar Mercutio says:

uh, Robert, beauty-wise, you might oughta stick with Israeli models

27. avatar JP in Tennessee says:

I like it and will see it this weekend in Louisville.

28. avatar userone says:

my dream gun would be one that doesn’t require all this shit on it.

1. avatar RenegadeDave says:

a lot of people used a lot more words to say exactly what you said, cutting straight to the point.

29. avatar Spartacus Khan says:

I like it. A lot. I think it’s always a good thing to encourage customization and personalization, and variety is the spice of life. Don’t like it? Save some money and get one EXACTLY like everyone else’, stay safe, and keep worrying about what less imaginative persons think about your aesthetic choices. Or better yet, come up with your own idea and do that.