.22LR Zip Gun: Just Thought I’d Leave This Here

How easy is it to build your own gun? Pretty damn easy. Is that a problem? If so, for whom?

comments

1. avatar Rabbit Pond says:

Love it! No problem here, though not all government agencies would agree. Just don’t get caught concealing that fine little firearm without proper licensure. California LEOs may not be as understanding these days as they were back in the day.

1. avatar Von Schmitto says:

I’m beginning to think there’s a story somewhere about you and a California cop.

1. avatar Rabbit Ears says:

Yes indeed. Many years ago, in my less law-abiding youth, I was caught red-handed illegally carrying a pistol by a cop in California. Fortunately, he let me off with a warning. Of course, I was talking up my credentials as a prison guard at the time. Left a lasting impression on me. At least I think it was me…

2. avatar Frank Masotti says:

It’s a problem for the gun grabbers. Not for the rest of us. Again according to the second amendment, it is also legal.

3. avatar Vhyrus says:

would that be considered an aow?

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

I was wondering that myself.

2. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Nah. It doesn’t have a shoulder thing that goes up.
      It only has a finger thing that goes down.

3. avatar TV says:

I’m fairly certain that gun would fall under the AOW classification.

4. avatar Layne says:

Zip guns by definition are not rifled, so it would be an AOW. Of course if you’re building one without a tax stamp, you’d better make sure it is rifled, in which case you’ll have no problems as long as you follow all other laws (no forward grip for example). The fact that it’s not particularly gun-shaped is not a problem so long as it isn’t shaped like anything else that is not a gun (“disguised”).

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“The fact that it’s not particularly gun-shaped is not a problem so long as it isn’t shaped like anything else that is not a gun (“disguised”).”

What’s in the pic at the top of the page would look like a standard bolt if it were in a pocket.

To me, that would be ‘disguised’.

1. avatar RocketScientist says:

I work with my hands, and spend a LOT of time around hardware and machinery. Nothing I would every describe as a “standard” bolt has a head that small in relation to its shank diameter, no threading, and a weird moveable pin-thingie (aka charging handle) sticking out the slide. If I weren;t a gun guy, im not saying I’d immediately think “oh look, a gun”, but I doubt anyone would glance at that and mistake it for a 3/4″-10 bolt. Then again, I’m not BATFE, and I’m sure they’d manage to turn it into a SBR, a machinegun and a destructive device all at the same time.

4. avatar Peter Charles says:

When I was 14 I made one using a steel crossman pellet pistol bbl. Accurate…….

5. avatar jwm says:

I thought 3d printers made zip guns obsolete.

6. avatar uncommon_sense says:

And a zipgun of the “slam fired” shotgun variety is even simpler … WAY simpler. In fact, if you are willing to affix a BB over the primer of a shot shell, a slam fire shotgun is stupid simple and consists of nothing more than two pieces of pipe and a pipe cap.

Note: if the internal radius of the pipe cap prevents contact with the BB that you affix to a shot shell, you would have to partially fill the end of the cap with some inexpensive two-part epoxy … or insert a short section of a wood dowel rod to provide a solid contact surface for the BB on the shot shell when you slam it backward.

7. avatar pieslapper says:

And you can sell it at a “buy back”!

Pffffft. I was building betters zip guns than that when I was ten.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

You and I both.

2. avatar jwm says:

When you were a kid the hardest part of building a zip gun was finding decent flints for the action.

3. avatar 16V says:

My father who was in highschool in the WWII era, told me stories of it being a very common kids’ accessory, like the lockback knives that were part of every young man’s wardrobe in the ’70s and ’80s.

Sad what has happened to us.

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

I graduated in 2000, and I carried the best and fastest folding knife I could find my entire highschool career. It was kind of a necessity in some places, and I had to pull it at least once in response to a very antagonistic classmate.

4. avatar Geoff PR says:

“Pffffft. I was building betters zip guns than that when I was ten.”

As long as a neighbor had a car parked with an antenna on it, you had a barrel…

9. avatar Cliff H says:

All well and good, but where can you find ammo for the thing?

Any plans available for a 9mm zip gun? That ammo is everywhere!

1. avatar Clarencex says:

http://thehomegunsmith.com/pdf/9mmPistol.pdf Why stop there comrade? This kinda highlights the futility of gun laws.

1. avatar PeterW says:

CA congress is right now trying to figure out how to ban electronic documents with gun pictures…

10. avatar Matt H says:

I’m impressed that they were able to find some CCI Stingers

11. avatar DickDanger says:

I know what I’m doing this weekend

12. avatar Chip in Florida says:

ZOMG! We have to ban springs! And pipes! And those little bits that go on the end of the pipes… that word I can’t say because everyone snickers like little kids…

/sarc