Wild Rifles at the Battle Arms Development Booth

dsc05162

Battle Arms Development has been getting down with their BAD selves and putting out some unique and aggressively-styled AR parts. From dimpled buffer tube stocks to receivers to small parts, barrels, gas blocks, adjustable angle pistol grips, optics mounts…you name it. Every part stands out. In fact, BAD’s trade show booths stand out with futuristic looks, employees in white lab coats, and laser cut, stainless steel business cards. On this trip, I snapped a few photos of some BAD (in the Michael Jackson and Battle Arms Development sense) AR-15s . . .

dsc05163 dsc05164 dsc05165 dsc05166

I do like this fledgling trend of putting wood on ARs…

comments

1. avatar Anner says:

Nice!

2. avatar Stinkeye says:

“Battle Arms Development” sure is a macho name, but it looks like “Range Toys R Us” might be a more accurate one…

1. avatar NineShooter says:

That’s about the same vibe I’m getting.

Some of the stuff looks interesting and/or useful, but whenever a manufacturer stoops to slapping red/white/blue paint/coatings on parts, it’s a huge warning flag to me.

2. avatar Steve says:

They might make some flashy demo guns, but their products are top-notch. I absolutely love the booths they’ve had the last few years at SHOT. Yes, the guns are kind of silly, but they aren’t selling the guns…

The dovetailed design of the CASS selectors are some of the best I’ve ever used. The new PDW stock they’ve got is a fantastic design in terms of engineering and creativity, as well!

IIRC, that gun with the PDW stock and MRO is a select-fire conversion. Most of the others they show off are all SA.

1. avatar Shakey says:

That’s a joke, right? These are the guys who displayed crap guns at a show in 2013. Then in 2104 they did a 10k round “torture test” that showed dozens of failures, two broken charging handles, and a muzzle device that broke and flew off the end of the barrel. Then IIRC they did a follow up torture test and failed that one too.

Meanwhile, a $850 Bushmaster or Colt will happily chew through 10k rounds without complaint.

1. avatar 16V says:

I haven’t seen the test, but I’ll take your word for it.

From the cheezball “name” to the outfitting of the show booth, it’s obvious one of the principals was in marketing, or they hired a good one.

Much style, doubtful any serious substance. At all.

Very operational.

4. avatar A A Ron says:

The Iron Man AR-15. okay…..

5. avatar Matt in Oklahoma says:

I should get wood with an AR not put wood on an AR

6. avatar David T says:

So, my take on the rifles in the above photos from top to bottom:
    (1) somewhat ugly
    (2) unremarkable
    (3) kind of cool
    (4) kind of “comicon”
    (5) also “comicon”
    (6) strangely appealing

7. avatar Spartacus Khan says:

Variety is the spice of life. I love it when these companies try new things and apply unique aesthetics. Even if they wouldn’t be my choices, I can certainly appreciate the ideas and creativity. Broadening the appeal of modern sporting rifles is always a good thing, IMO.

8. avatar CoolHand says:

You know, sometimes it’s kinda fun to build stuff just for the hell of it.

Not every rifle or gun part ever made has to be designed for operators operating operationally in a operational environment.

Some of us “operate” our rifles mostly for fun.

Sure, we’ll have at least one that’s all business (to be used for defending you and yours in a deadly serious manner), but as the old saying goes, “All work and no play makes Jake a dull boy.” 😉

If I could ever come up with a wood that I could trust not to split from the thin section, I’d build a wooden free floating railed forearm.

Just for the hell of it.

9. avatar chevy 350 says:

I have shot and talked with these guys,they are real TOOLS. if you like being told how you are not tacacool a nuff to understand and like know-it-alls go shooting with these guys.