A Surgeon Rifle to Drool Over

DSC05105

Sure, I like a chassis rifle as much as the next guy, but I love this J. Allen JAE-700 stock. Add a Surgeon Rifles short action and a heavy, threaded barrel and we move into the “lust” category . . .

DSC05101 DSC05106 DSC05102 DSC05103

The machining is so precise, until I twisted the thread protector I wasn’t actually sure if it was a separate piece.DSC05104

comments

1. avatar Red in CO says:

That. Is. BEAUTIFUL! What a work of art.

2. avatar Shakey says:

That’s a chassis, not a stock.

3. avatar jlaughl says:

Who is the builder?

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Surgeon Rifles

4. avatar Geoff says:

Yes. Very nice. More than I can afford.
    Start at $5100 and go up to $9510.
    If I had that much money I would be buying a Barrett M82A1.

1. avatar Rabbi says:

Most people mistakenly believe that the M82A1 is chambered for the .50 BMG. Is actually chambered for 5 dollar bills, $7-8 each for precision rounds. Reloading is a must.

5. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

I could tell the thread protector was finisher apart from the rest of the barrel. You can see the difference in how the light reflects off of it vs. the barrel, even in just a photo.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

It was actually less obvious in person. The camera made it pop out a bit.

6. avatar Mr. Woodcock says:

I had a chance to shoot a Surgeon rifle that a guy in the lane next to me was shooting at the range a few months back. It was chambered in 6XC, 24″ barrel, and a Manners stock with adjustable cheek piece. The scope was a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 4.5-27. Quite possibly the nicest rifle I have ever had the pleasure of shooting. For $5K you are getting a highly functional work of art. One day I hope to own a Surgeon or a rifle from GA Precision.

7. avatar Some Bloke says:

4 thousand dollar rifle in a 2 thousand dollar stock. Hmm… if you’re dropping $2k into a stock you’re just wasting money to be obvious. Sorry, it’s true.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

There are stocks for competition that are worth $2K – and they have adjustments for literally everything: Length of pull, toe-in/toe-out, comb height/offset, forearm length, etc.

Some of them look like a prop off a Terminator movie set – like the high-end Anschuetz stocks.

This, however, isn’t one of those stocks.

8. avatar Jimmyjames says:

I have that bolt knob on a rifle I bought 2nd hand and it sucks. Sharp looking gun other than that. $5k+? I shot steel at 1000yds last week with a box stock $600 Rem 700 with a 20″ heavy bbl.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

I don’t know why some people think that heavily-checkered or highly featured bolt knobs are so desirable. If you’re trying to cycle the bolt quickly with bare hands, you can get your fingers pretty chewed up on a knurled/featured bolt knob. I like a smooth, rounded bolt knob that’s large enough to get a grip on, but not so large it gets in the way.