Everyday Carry Pocket Dump of the Day – Taylor Roden

157128e436b0f1

We dig Taylor’s bento box aesthetic. His gear choices aren’t bad either. Hard to go wrong with a Ruger LC9s Pro for concealability and comfort. See what else Taylor has stowed in his Everyday Carry box below . . .

1. Black leatherman wave
  14. Homemade 9mm/par accord bracelet
  15. Captain Spaulding hank
  16. American Spirits Turquoise
  17. Ruger LC9S Pro with 7 round magazine
  18. 9 round magazine
  19. Brass money clip

comments

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

That’s a lot of stuff. Not judging, mind you.

But where do you carry that box?

And how do you stow the LC9s?

2. avatar wright says:

Is that a wooden box full of tactical crap in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

1. avatar Swarf says:

Is that a wooden box full of tactical crap in your pocket, or are you just unhappy to be carrying around a wooden box full of tactical crap?

1. avatar Pond Avenue says:

My pockets are so damm boring compared to these guys…

3. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Brass Monkey…clip.

That funky monkey.

1. avatar Wilson says:

4. avatar Dan l says:

I’ve thought that about alot of these guys, how do they keep there pants up when there pockets are holding 7 pounds of shit….

I know some people have commented they don’t like these, or thy come too often, I luv them, I’m always lookin for new gear…

1. avatar TheDude says:

My guess would be a 46″ waist crammed into last year’s 42″ pants.

5. avatar Coffee Addict says:

nod to Joseph Cornell.. very nice

6. avatar Geoff PR says:

What is that knife just touching the Burt’s and the black Leatherman?

1. avatar Wilson says:

Ka-Bar TDI in it’s sheath.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Thanks Wilson and Swarf…

2. avatar Swarf says:

Ka-Bar TDI.

It’s number 10 on the list.

More power to him, but the angle of both of his blades looks really awkward. Like, “Oops, I just sliced open my side drawing my knife because the blade’s relation to the handle is way different than all the other blades I’ve been handling for 30 years!” awkward.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Get someone in a headlock and that’ll gut them quite nicely…

1. avatar Swarf says:

Too Damn Inconvienent.

2. avatar Wilson says:

It’s designed to be like a push dagger and a karambit had a baby.

In some circles they’re called “last ditch” knives for cops. If they’ve lost everything else, can’t grab anything else or are undercover they pull this and throw what seem like punches, but they poke big holes in people AND they can still use it as a slashing weapon which you can’t really do with a push dagger.

If you look at most “last ditch” knives, they’re one use or the other. Something like a Browning Black Label Tracer Neck Knife (http://www.amazon.com/Browning-320121BL-121BL-Tracer-Neck/dp/B0061NZJBK) is really only effective for stabbing. Something like a Dark Ops Vendetta (http://www.darkopsknives.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=16&idp=3&his=0) is more meant for slashing, but can be used for upward stabbing if things are right.

This knife is meant to bridge the gap while, like the Vendetta, being hard to lose your grip on. This means it’s harder to have the knife knocked out of your grip but also harder to have you hand slide up on to the blade if you hit something hard like a belt buckle or bone.

The sheaths for them are designed for the type of draw you use to pull the knife and to keep them quite low profile.

Owning all three, plus others, I’d say this is a fantastic knife for what’s it’s meant to do. It’s more comfortable to wield than the Vendetta or the Tracer, much smaller than most knives of it’s kind (combat being what it’s meant for), not a folder, easy to hold on to even if your hands get covered in blood, difficult to knock out of your hand and more concealable as something like a Black Label “Fear Factor” karambit.

It’s one of the best “pull, poke and slash” knives I’ve seen and at like $40 isn’t pricey like my personal favorite carry knife for PD, the Benchmade SOCP dagger.

Yeah, I own WAAAAAAYYYYY too many knives.

7. avatar Wilson says:

Damn, and I thought I carried a lot of stuff on my person.

8. avatar Anonymous says:

What’s with the devil’s star/pentagram?

pentagrama satanico?

9. avatar Stan says:

I see superfluous crap everywhere

10. avatar Frank in VA says:

KA-BAR has a version of that knife called the TDI Hinderance ($70 on Amazon) that comes with a thumb-activated locking sheath. Seems like that might be a good idea if you were going to open carry one, which would be my only legal option for a fixed blade knife with our dumb Virginia laws.

I found a review of the regular TDI knife ( http://thinblueflorida.com/?p=2622 ) where they consider it unsafe for use by law enforcement with the standard non-locking sheath. The way the cop in the lead photo is carrying it, it is in a good position for a perp to grab it when face to face with the officer, and they list an incident where that happened and the cop got slashed in the neck.

11. avatar Tal says:

I’m almost positive most of these are bullshit.