Falling Down’s D-Fens Was Right About McDonald’s All-Day Breakfast

In the 1993 movie Falling Down, lead character D-Fens (Michael Douglas) goes postal when McDonald’s (or its cinematic equivalent) refuses to serve him breakfast after 11:30. It’s taken Mickey-D’s 23 years to get on board, but the financial results are satisfying. “In its most recent quarterly report, McDonald’s beat profit and earnings estimates from Wall Street’s number crunchers,” modernreaders.com reports, “and enjoyed a 6.2 percent gain in same-store sales, marking its best increase in four years. And just as we said a few months earlier, it’s a clear sign that the company is making a very solid comeback, with all-day breakfast, value deals, and lower costs of commodities serving as the primary variables driving these encouraging financial stats.”

comments

1. avatar jwm says:

Uhm. Dafuq, over?

2. avatar Alphonse says:

Ew, really? I tried it just for the rotten decadence, found the late-served breakfast offerings nasty.

3. avatar int19h says:

What relevance does this have to TTAG topics?

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Yeah, as I was reading it, I kept expecting the tie-in to appear.

No such luck.

Perhaps RF is a few inches into a bottle of hand-crafted bourbon?

1. avatar 16V says:

NRN, NRA…

Back in the day when initial orientation of store managers was one of my jobs – I always played that video clip. Great to remind them that the customer is (usually) always right. Even when they’re wrong.

1. avatar beefeater says:

The customer is always right?

2. avatar Anonymous says:

I got it right away. You no longer have to threaten McDonald’s with a gun in order for them to deliver what they advertised and what you agreed to pay for.

1. avatar Priest of the center mass says:

Everyone gets it , it’s just that we dont give a damn about mic d ‘s business forecast or that it took three decades for them to react to demand.
        If this is what the future looks like for ttag then maybe i need to look elsewhere for the truth about guns.

1. avatar Eric Lawrence says:

Please, do.

2. avatar Anonymous says:

LOL!!

So you read an article (One article – A single paragraph actually) you didn’t like and instead of just skipping over it, you take the time to complain about it in the comments and emphasize the utter and heart breaking/wrenching betrayal you felt for Farago having published such a thing. How dare he do that – oh the disappointment! You even went so far as to drop the “I’m going to go elsewhere” intimidation bomb.

Absolute sheer comedy, at it’s best, right here. Thanks.

3. avatar AJ187 says:

Yeah, and leave some room for all the teet suckers on here to do their thing.

4. avatar Dr Brainwash says:

So… Today we learned, using a gun to get your way can lead to some tasty results.

1. avatar 16V says:

“See, this is what I’m talking about. Turn around look at that, you see what I mean? It’s plump, it’s juicy, it’s three inches thick. Now, look at this sorry, miserable squashed thing. Can anybody tell me what’s wrong with this picture? Anybody? Anybody at all?”

1. avatar the ruester says:

That monologue represents what Douglas’ character considers the state of the white male in America.

5. avatar Priest of the center mass says:

This is why drugs are bad for you, robs you of sanity?
    Can you do a story on the importance of lock washers next please?

1. avatar Anonymous says:

How about crush washers instead?

2. avatar Matt says:

There are several washer and non washer based alternatives to lock washers that are far superior to the traditional lock washer.

6. avatar SdubM45 says:

Uh, movies about a mentally unhinged man terrorising LA with guns, probably not the best thing to reference on a blog about responsible firearms ownership.

1. avatar Dr Brainwash says:

No shit right? Making me question some motives here…

2. avatar Vhyrus says:

It’s Sunday, lighten up Francis.

If you’re still sober enough to not understand this posting, you need to re evaluate your life choices, man.

3. avatar Rob from Ks. says:

Yeah I’m with Sdub, and the Dr. This is a little sketchy to be on a responsible gun ownership site. And for what? To talk about McDonald’s profit margin? Seriously what the crap TTAG?

7. avatar FormerWaterWalker says:

Slow news daze? Breaking snooze-gun “buyback” in Chicago! Many raggedy revolvers,Lorcins and busted guns “turned in”. Fadder fpleger happy! I did see what may have been an A5 shotgun…

8. avatar Stoopid1 says:

Yea, there are times I’d kill for a sausage egg Mcmuffin.

9. avatar Rokurota says:

I’ve fired a TEC-9. Trigger is far from sensitive.

1. avatar peirsonb says:

The guy next to me on the line in my CPL class brought one that day to be a smart-ass. I don’t think he managed two rounds at a time without a malfunction.

Though it did have a functional giggle switch……

10. avatar SouthernPhantom says:

McDonald’s is expensive. I’d rather spend that money on ammunition.

1. avatar MLee says:

Who cares about expensive? I don’t eat out to save money. I can deal with expensive, it’s DISGUSTING I can live without!

11. avatar peirsonb says:

One of those movies I avoided for years. I finally broke down and watched it on demand. I could’ve kept avoiding it and been perfectly happy.

Michael Douglas went all Taggart because he couldn’t get a Mickey D’s breakfast, I felt the same way after I tasted my first Egg McCardboard. Fortunately, I wasn’t carrying that day, or Ronald would have been toast. And come to think of it, toast would have tasted better.

13. avatar Mk10108 says:

One had to keep Micky D’s in perspective…its fuel not food. As for Falling Down. Art imitates life, just waiting for warp drive, then I’m outbound and tracking.

14. avatar Royal Tony says:

Thank you for this post. I am reminded that it is past sundown, on a Sunday, and I haven’t had one drop of single malt as of yet.

15. avatar Wright says:

Sounds like someone needs a breathalyzer on their keyboard.

16. avatar Mudshark says:

Mac Donalds trash is just as good and cheaper . I allways eat there after drugs n alcohol

17. avatar Defens says:

Don’t really care about the topic. Just popping in to say howdy!

18. avatar Wv Cycling says:

What about Adam Sandler?

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Sorry, I burned out on Sandler on around, oh, 1995…

19. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Slow News Day.

20. avatar Model 31 says:

Wasn’t there an article here saying TTAG was looking for new and inventive ways to better integrate advertising into the site in order to avoid ad blockers? The best advertising is when you don’t even realize you’ve been exposed to the ad. Mic Ds is bad?…millions would disagree.

1. avatar Cliff H says:

Product placement should ideally be a little more subtle, and accompanied by an agreement from the product manufacturer to actually pay for the placement. Ever notice how many recognizable vehicles on television shows have their manufacturer badges removed or covered over with gaffer’s tape?

Otherwise, it’s Sunday evening. Lighten up – even RF needs a little downtime once in awhile.

21. avatar CGinTX says:

I’d like to officially ask TTAG to run a “Slow News Sunday” feature, in which you post a story that has only the most tangential relevance to the core mission as stated on TTAG’s masthead. I really don’t mind the occasional diversion, but watching the apoplectic explosion of some of the commenters, so offended and insulted at its existence, accompanied by their personal set of threats, insults and prognostications on the future of this site, is popcorn-munchin’ internet entertainment at its best.

1. avatar Anonymous says:

Absolutely agree. The comments were out of this world funny. Far more entertaining than the article itself – hitch was pretty funny to me. Reading these threatening comments about how they are going to leave TTAG because of articles like this one – just one article too! Amazing and funny.

2. avatar Anonymous says:

apoplectic explosion of some of the commenters

BTW, perfect articulation of exactly what happened. You couldn’t have phrased it better.

3. avatar Jim Bullock says:

This is genius.

4. avatar JR_in_NC says:

Well, done, CGinTX.

Agree. Even knowing about it ahead of time, there would still be complaints!

1. avatar AJ187 says:

Yeah, people actually wanna read about guns on their gun news website. Who knew heel lickers could be so insightful.

1. avatar CGinTX says:

Good God, AJ – don’t come around here on April 1, your head will explode!

22. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

The Truth About Profit and Loss Statements?

1. avatar JR_in_NC says:

Well, SWHC hasn’t been doing TOO bad … so they say.

23. avatar Larry says:

My favorite movie , thanks for bringing a smile to my morning !

Clear a path I’m going home !

24. avatar Aaron says:

ok, i’ll play along with your silly game. i’d rather have all-day burgers. i’d rather have a burger for breakfast that mcdonald’s breakfast offerings.

so with that out of the way, uh, guns??

1. avatar Kevin says:

Burger King double cheeseburger for breakfast. That’s all I need.