Devil Dog Concepts Hard Charger AR Side Charging Handle

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 8.44.35 AM

One of the only problems some shooters have with the ubiquitous AR platform is its charging handle. When the adrenaline’s pumping and time is of the essence, the mil-spec handle takes a fair amount of attention and fine motor skill. Sure, you can train for it, but many find it less than ideal. That is, not as intuitive and fast handling as an AK- or SCAR-style side charger. But opportunity and cash being the motivators they are, a couple of solutions are out there. Devil Dog Concepts’ Hard Charger gives you the side charging, non-reciprocating option you want without losing receiver Pic rail space. We’ve asked for one to see if it’s as cool as it looks and will report back soon.

[h/t LB]

comments

1. avatar John L. says:

To clarify … This is not Devil Dog Arms, right?

Seems like a neat idea, but why does it not work with billet uppers?

1. avatar Juice says:

Forged uppers are more or less uniform in shape. If your billet upper has some fancy angles or curves in it, they might interfere with the fit of the handle.

2. avatar Vhyrus says:

I wondered the same thing as well. Apparently Devil Dog arms and Devil Dog Concepts are not one and the same… at the very least they don’t share websites, or business addresses, or reside in the same state, for that matter.

2. avatar DJ says:

This is a REALLY cool concept. If it works well, I think they’ll sell a ton.

3. avatar PNG says:

No left-handed option, I take it?

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

If you want left handed side charging get a bear creek arsenal side charging upper.

1. avatar N64456 says:

I didn’t see an LH version on their website. Do you by chance have the model number for it??

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

By left handed I mean the handle is on the right side of the gun. It’s still a right side eject so it works basically like an AK.

2. avatar N64456 says:

Thanx; that setup looks pretty legit!

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

I have one and I’m pretty happy with it. I might do a review for the content contest.

4. avatar nynemillameetuh says:

Make one for the MK 47 Mutant and we’ll talk.

1. avatar Forrest says:

Just buy an AK already.

1. avatar Mudshark says:

+1^

5. avatar Defens says:

Interesting concept, although I do have my doubts about long term reliability and longevity. Looks like you bolt a guide with an internal, manually operating rod to the side of the upper. The Op Rod then engages a replacement charging handle. So, now you have an op rod in an open sided guide that you can bind up, bend, or break.

What’s more, since the charging handle isn’t attached directly to the bolt carrier, but connects through linkage to the standard (or replacement) charging handle, when you operate the side charger, the regular one still must travel back over the buttstock – if you shoot with your face close to the front of the buttstock, you’ll have to move it out of the way – negating one of the advantages of side chargers.

I’ll be interested to see your tests, but if having a side charger is your thing, I suspect that the direct solution of having an upper that’s designed for it would be a better choice.

1. avatar John L. says:

On the other hand, this might let you “try out” a side charging handle before taking the plunge into a specialized upper (and maybe bolt etc.)

Not cheap … But a less expensive way of learning you don’t like it.

1. avatar Binder says:

Not really a test of a traditional side changer as the manual of arms will not be the same. and you are looking at $250 for a AR stoner upper with the bolt (no barrel)

2. avatar BLAMMO says:

Agreed. You still have to lose the cheek weld. Which you must do anyway without it, so …

6. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

The AR charging is BS. But I’m not so sure about this contraption.

That charging handle is big, bulky, and sticking out there.

1. avatar seans says:

The AR charging handle is excellent. It’s out of the way. There is a reason why the number one complaint about the SCAR in SOCOM is the stupid charging handle.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Meh

7. avatar Mudshark says:

Somes got guns, somes got weapons. I like weapons I can drop.

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Are you French?

1. avatar Spit says:

I see what you did there. Lol

8. avatar Dean Carpenter says:

The AR charger is not a problem. I only had to use once.

9. avatar Binder says:

I really don’t think this is going to be a good test for a side charger as your manual of arms is NOT going to be the same. You still need to deal with the charging handle coming out. You have to get you cheek off the stock or you are going to be in a world of hurt. Looking around the internet, a real side charging upper is $250 with the bolt, so no savings going this way.

10. avatar The Dude Abides says:

Just get a 2VetsArms and be done with it.

11. avatar Noishkel says:

Uhh, didn’t Devil Dog just shut down suddenly? I read something about that on TFB. Something about the founder revealing that he’s guilty of Stolen Valor and that the company just shut down because of it.

The entire story was a little weird… so it probably needs more verification. Only reason I bring it up that if it’s true you might not be able to even get these items anymore. :/

Hell… here’s the link so everyone can chase it down.

1. avatar Noishkel says:

Actually NM… Devil Dog Arms is the place I was reading about… not Devil Dog CONCEPTS.

Sorry about that. >,,>

1. avatar daveR says:

Point is that it’s a really unfortunately similar name to that other company…

12. avatar pun&gun says:

The real problem with the standard charging handle is that its existence precludes any kind of comb height adjustment, which combined with the buffer tube forcing the stock straight back eliminates any kind of customized gun fit. There’s nothing faster or more comfortable to shoot than a well fitted gun, which an AR-15 just can never be.

13. avatar Tarrou says:

This is a fix for a problem which was already fixed, and cheaper to boot. Try BCM’s “Gunfighter” charging handle. It uses an internal cam to offset the rear force and an oversize release that is easy to hook with your offhand. It’s a drop in part, costs less than fifty bucks, you don’t have to modify anything. I’ve been using one for five years now, it operates smoothly, no binding, and I can operate the charging handle with the off hand, from the shoulder without lifting my head. It’s the first AR mod that really changed the way I use the platform. Everything else so far has just been barbie doll dresses.

1. avatar pod says:

My last AR build uses the handle you speak of. It’s easy to manipulate with whichever hand you desire. Four stars will buy again, that sort of thing.

2. avatar int19h says:

I have found that if you operate the BCM handle without gloves, it’s fairly easy to pinch your hand with it.

I’ve had better experience with Raptor, which is similarly oversized, but the design is such that it cannot pinch anything.

14. avatar Buffalo_Bob says:

TACOM is involved in a program called the WOOT program in Tyrone township MI. They have crashed 2 government satellites and are working on a third without the government’s knowledge, and have committed rape of 22 different woman inside tyrone woods trailer park since 2012. Contractors built an under ground shelter connecting trailers. They used triptamine drip, and electrode implants to make people unaware of these scopes crashing, and there after used the same method to commit rape and get away with it. The satellites being crashed have data on them that indicates source codes being sold or stolen by people who committed torture in order to make veterans affairs junkies commit suicide, and also shows the woot programs employees commiting the types of crimes listed above. They used a VACCIS scanner to make the trailer park light up so they could see which other satellites were watching until the shutter became stuck open and was dropped down a well leaking 7 RMS of cobalt 68 radiation. There has been $190,000,000 spent on covering this problem up. And evidence of this is on Google earth at Tyrone woods trailer park in Tyrone Twp MI. And just north of Hogan rd from this location is a crash sight and equipment.

1. avatar Stephen Rivera says:

I heard the lizard people are behind it.

1. avatar DJ says:

Crab people. Definitely. Has their fingerprints all over it.

🙂

2. avatar Mudshark says:

Buffalo bob. Where did you find this info. I looked ob web but cant find

3. avatar Matt in CT says:

Pass the tinfoil please….

4. avatar Heartland Patriot says:

So, do you really have marbles loose upstairs, you do this for the “lulz”, or what?

15. avatar Kapeltam says:

Seeing how it mounts, i’d have to get rid of my scope to use it. I’ll stick with my scope but interesting concept.

16. avatar UncleK says:

Looks like it would catch on everything just when you don’t want it to. I don’t need stuff sticking out of the side like that and I don’t need to fix stuff that’s not broken.

17. avatar BDub says:

I can’t find any pics or video of it in operation, but looking at it, I find it hard to believe that there isn’t still a rod that will be coming at your face if you don’t adjust your head to charge the weapon.

1. avatar BDub says:

Ok, I found some more pics and some non-op video and this is basically a forward extension of you existing charging handle. IMO its useless, unless you want to spend $150 to add some weight to your weapon, and move your charging hand forwards about 7″, all while retaining the nostalgia of moving you face out of the path of you actual charging handle.

There really is no real side-charging AR solution that doesn’t require a non-standard upper.

1. avatar int19h says:

I could imagine such a solution that would use some kind of cable and pulley system. But I wouldn’t trust the reliability of such a contraption.