Gov. Terry Branstad Signs Bill Legalizing Suppressors in Iowa

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 8.50.00 AM

“’It’s going to help save the hearing of Iowans that are involved in firearms and shooting, and it’s going to create jobs in our state,’ said Brownells CEO Pete Brownell.” That was Pete’s take as he watched Iowa Governor Terry Branstad affix his signature to a new law legalizing suppressors in the Land of Pork and Corn. “’This is something that certainly commonly used in other parts of the country,’ said Branstad. ‘I don’t see why Iowa shouldn’t have the same opportunity.’” Well said, Governor. Well said.

comments

1. avatar Eric in Oregon says:

Good for them! Pet peeve though- the gov’t can never ‘legalize’ or ‘allow’ anything, they can only restrict or ease restriction.

2. avatar FormerWaterWalker says:

WHAT? HUH? Maybe Illinois will follow suit(or keep thinkin’ only Al Capone has a silencer)…

1. avatar syms says:

I wish. We’ll probably be the last state to allow them, just like CC

2. avatar Chuck in IL says:

I’m afraid it’s going to take another court decision to make it happen in Illinois. King Madigan isn’t going to let the current bill out of committee as far as I can tell. So one person is once again denying Illinoisans their constitutional right to something, and will suffer no consequences for his action.

3. avatar KMc says:

Finally!! We sold our 1st suppressor yesterday and everyone wants to know about Trusts, etc…..

1. avatar kmontang says:

What part of the state are you in?

4. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Illinois is now completely surrounded by states with no suppressor prohibition.
    Sort of like we were surrounded a few years ago by states with concealed carry laws.

My guess is our legislature will someday provide a way to own suppressors. It will involve an application, fingerprints and a $150 non-refundable application fee. There will also be a couple dozen “suppressor prohibited areas” written into the law.

1. avatar IL-annoyed says:

Guess what: the retards in Springfield will just allow suppressors on private land only. No way would they allow them on public hunting land (the little there is in Illinois) and that would suck for me. I don’t have enough land to hunt on otherwise I would care about suppressors more

1. avatar Big E says:

I know it’s beside the point, but can you use centerfire to hunt in ILL? I thought it was muzzle-loader/shotgun only?

2. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Completely surrounded now, huh? Great. Now every 1980s T.V. assassin from “Magnum, P.I.” to “Murder, She Wrote” is going to buy his silencer under the surrounding states’ lax gun laws, then make a beeline for Chicago to commit murder; shaking that idyllic city to its foundation. Way to go, Iowa.

5. avatar Frank Masotti says:

Well it’s about time. 🙂

6. avatar Stuart K says:

Awesome! Grats Iowa!

7. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Well, this is good news and bad news.
    Good news for Iowans.
    The bad? The wait time just increased. Again.

8. avatar CTstooge says:

Brownells = Amazon.com for POTG.

So impressive what Pete and his father Frank have built. Not like Cabela’s that just sells stuff…Brownells had in-house video “how-to” content and quality customer service on the website for years. They rock.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

It would be unthinkably difficult to gun a gunsmithing business today without Brownells.

2. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Unfortunately, living in Iowa, I have to pay sales tax if I buy from Brownells, so it’s usually Midway for me.

1. avatar Scott in IA says:

If you’re in Grimes (or close by), would in-store pickup save you some coin?

I’ve never been there … do they retail space? Or, is it just pickup only?

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Grinnell. They originally had a store but it hadn’t been around for a while, BUT, the new store just opened on the 30th. Check out the video from channel 8.

9. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Safe Hearing Act….Please!

10. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Well, good job Gov. I guess I’ll refrain from calling him a RINO for the next couple of weeks. Although it would have been hard to veto with 22 Democrats in the state senate voting for the bill.

Now, who makes the best silencer for my GP100?

11. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Also looks like I need to plan a trip down to Grinnell soon.

12. avatar AnhydrousWater says:

NY next? lololololol……………….. lololololol

13. avatar Wrightl3 says:

But but silent blood in the streets. Sarrc/

14. avatar Mudshark says:

Yay, yay yay, fuk him n all them othet mother fckers. I passed a bill, oh holy holy, I passed a bill on a right we allready had. The government giveth and the government taketh away.

15. avatar Mudshark says:

Oh. Fook supressors, n fck em again. Moneyvmoneymoney.,fuk yur supressor bullsht. Dont you guys fall into this crap. If your rifle goes from moa to 1-/2. Then good ,but it wont.

16. avatar Mudshark says:

и so like 238? Thats my guesstamation, whens the hammer going to fall?

17. avatar Libertarian says:

Grats to the first from the 6 nfa branch groups.
    Still a lot work to do.

Now it s very interested what state follow it next if it comes to the anti and the communistic hardliner states ……