Everyday Carry Pocket Dump of the Day: Cato D. Carpeti

156f19187aa6d3

For a retired nuclear control systems engineer, Cato’s a traditionalist. Then again, maybe you’d expect someone with that kind of background to just go with what works. As he avers, “the Taurus 856 is a real gem: a 6-shot small framed steel revolver that is very comfortable in the Barsony OWB. No cell phone or tablet for an old retired geezer like me. Fisher’s Space Pen doesn’t get lost if I keep it in my jeans pocket – and it always works. I figured my eyeglasses, Seiko 5 wristwatch, and copper arthritis bracelet don’t count since they don’t go into the pockets.” See the details on the Everyday Carry gear he did show us below . . .

1. Case Mini Trapper
  2. Kershaw 1840 Shallot
  3. Generic Notebook
  4. Chapstic Original
  5. Taurus 856 38 special
  6. Bianchi Speedstrip JHP Handloads
  7. Generic Pill Container
  8. Clifton’s Hand Tooled Wallet
  9. Barsony Pancake Holster
  10. Fisher Space Pen

comments

1. Can’t beat Chapstick original!

1. avatar Eric says:

I’m a Chicken Poop man myself…

2. avatar Frank in VA says:

I prefer Burt’s Bees. All natural. Costs more, but seems to last longer before I have to put more on. Plus it doesn’t have a label that says “Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.”

1. avatar Scoutino says:

You win. Your lipstick is clearly superior to the other guy’s lipsticks.

1. avatar Frank in VA says:

My girlfriend agrees. She’s the one got me to switch.

2. avatar CD Carpeti says:

The only reason I need that darned wallet is because here in Washington State you’re supposed to have a concealed pistol license on your person if they can’t see your gun (RCW 9.41.050).

But, there is that curious provision in the state law (RCW 9.41.060 (8)) that says:” RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to: Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity”

The way I see it, any time I’m outside having fun, and not doing anything unlawful, I shouldn’t really need that permit anyway.

Go figure.

1. avatar Art out West says:

Like you, I love to pocket carry a snubnose revolver. My 6 shot Rossi 461 is a bit fat and heavy, but offers 6 rounds of .38 or .357. My S&W 642 is even smaller, thinner, and lighter. I love it.

3. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

Jeez what is with the notebooks?

Does nobody have a cell phone any more?

1. avatar jsallison says:

Notebook doesn’t need batteries.

1. But it needs a pen and doesn’t work so well in the dark.

1. avatar peirsonb says:

Some things just can’t replace paper. I’ve tried carrying a notebook,the habit never stuck. But I fill reams of scratch paper while I’m programming.

2. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

If you’re that desperate to write something down, you can write on your arm.

When doing wood projects I used to write notes on scraps of wood. Just about anything can have notes on it.

2. avatar Hannibal says:

No but it also can’t contact anyone so I’d still carry a phone first.

2. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

I carry a waterproof notebook for taking vitals on EMT calls. I can just tear out the page and hand it to the responding medic(s) and away they go to the hospital.

4. avatar MD says:

Good to see a wheel gun.

1. avatar Frank in VA says:

I’ve think I’ve decided to go back to a wheel gun for EDC. I like that I can load and unload it a hundred times with no impact on the ammo. I hate to retire expensive and hard-to-find premium defense ammo to range-only use because it’s been cycled too many times through my semi-auto to trust. I’m always switching from carry ammo to target ammo or cleaning the lint out of my gun, so loading and unloading is a frequent thing for me.

I’m leaning LCR after trying a very well worn rental gun at the range that I shot much better with than I did with any of my old J-frames. I am slightly attracted to Kimber’s new six shooter. Just wish it wasn’t a Kimber. I’ll probably get the LCR now and give the Kimber a year on the market to either prove itself or crap the bed.

If Colt reintroduced the Detective Special at a reasonable price I would jump on that and never look back.

5. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Simple. Basic. Cost effect.

Can’t go wrong with that combo.

6. avatar Taylor in TN. says:

I’ve been considering going back to a Glock 26 gen 4, but after seeing this it makes me reconsider. I’m currently carrying a S&W model 60-14. Any reason to switch to Glock ?

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I moved from the Charter Arms snubby to the G26 years ago and never looked back. That said, nothing wrong with the revolver. And if you like to pocket carry, don’t move the G26, it’s too big.

7. avatar Cato DeCarpeti says:

I pocket-holster carry a Charter undercover in the summer with shorts. The “big” 856 is reserved for jeans. It is bigger and heavier than a J-frame, but smaller and lighter than my 2-inch Model 10. Besides it ain’t quite as pretty – inducing holster wear on that model 10 is to be avoided 🙂

8. avatar 38specialist says:

Nice to see a wheel gun. For me a snub is easier to conceal in daily carry. the exception is my lcp that lives in my pocket.

I’m a Carmex man myself, but it doesn’t carry as well as a Chapstick tube in a pocket.

9. avatar wright says:

Nice setup.

10. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

“For a retired nuclear control systems engineer, Cato’s a traditionalist.”

I would hope so. Nukes ain’t the place where I want to hear engineers are trying new-age experiments…

1. avatar CD Carpeti says:

^^^ This – In spades.

One of the first things I was taught as a cub Engineer was: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”