Housekeeping: TTAG Hiring Email Editor

email-icons-1940x900_36467

As The Truth About Guns approaches its sixth year, we’re currently sitting at around 3 million unique readers per month. For that amazing success we thank our readers, commentators, writers and editors. Rest assured we’re not resting on our laurels. We’re currently working on improving the site with new features, a new design, video and much more (suggestions always welcome). Meanwhile, we’re drowning in emails. We need someone to filter them for us. To do that job we need someone who can . . .

separate the wheat from the chaff.

Specifically, someone who can read and respond to the dozens of reader news tips and forward stories for blogging to Dan and myself. The editor must also post links to important stories (that aren’t exactly blog worthy) on our Facebook and Instagram pages. He or she must also sort through administrative emails — requests from manufacturers, writer correspondence, etc. — needed.

Applicants must be a gun guy or gal who knows TTAG inside and out, and has a feel for the prevailing gun gestalt. It’s also a highly sensitive position; the email editor would have access to our public and private email, the site and our Facebook account.

The job pays a relatively paltry $15 per hour, with a guaranteed minimum of 10 hours per week. A Texas-based editor would be a bonus, but the job can be performed anywhere. Note: that’s the starting salary, and the job comes with plenty of perks (e.g., guns to test, free swag and training).

This is a mission critical job. We are, in effect, putting a large measure of TTAG’s editorial quality in the editor’s hands. To apply for this position please email thetruthaboutguns@gmail.com with a resume (text embedded in the email), putting EMAIL EDITOR (all caps) in the subject line. Employment history in the firearms industry is not a requirement.

Again, we thank our community for its ongoing support. We will continue to do everything we can to provide readers with the highest quality firearms-related news, reviews and editorials. To tell the truth about guns.

comments

1. avatar Sean in Lakeland says:

I’m currently unemployed, got laid off after Christmas. I’ll be in contact!

1. avatar Steve in MA (now RI) says:

That’s a shitty present.

2. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

I hope this would clear up sending submissions multiple times. Your site is generally awesome, and I’m enjoying watching it grow. Been peeking in since the start, but a daily reader since 2012, and a daily commenter since 12/2012(Sandy Hook). I wish you luck in finding a qualified applicant.

3. avatar Anonymous says:

This is a good job for Ralph. He can do this while watching movies.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Ralph is busy currently interviewing potential next Mrs. Ralphs’ via his proprietary horizontal interview process… 🙂

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Hmm I could think of worse things. For Ralph, that is. Not for the applicant.

I already spend ten hours a week sorting through my own email.

And you’d be surprised at how many women out there who want to meet me for a horizontal rumba — with a subscription, of course. And how many other companies have taken a keen and purely medical interest in the size of my winkie.

Yeah, I’m a popular guy.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“And you’d be surprised at how many women out there who want to meet me for a horizontal rumba — …”

Not in the least surprised.

Back in my ‘usenet daze’ in the discussion alt. groups, I was pleasantly surprised at the number of unsolicited propositions I was getting.

And that was with a standard-issue ‘winkie’…

*grin*

2. avatar peirsonb says:

I already spend ten hours a week sorting through my own email.

To be fair, at Ralph’s age that’s 5, 6 messages tops.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Ohhhhhh, Ralph ‘Feels the Bern’… 🙂

4. avatar Colt Magnum says:

Does the job come with paid parking and a key to the executive washroom?

1. avatar jwm says:

Sure. Someone’s got to sweep the lot and clean the toilets.

1. avatar Paelorian says:

I don’t have a Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? or The Simpsons reference to make, but I want to say that if I get the job I’d be willing to sweep the parking lot and clean toilets (preferably more “executive washroom” than “highway rest stop”). You won’t hear “that’s not in my job description” from me. I’d be glad to get my foot in the door, even if that meant part of the job was decidedly unglamorous, lowly, and menial.

If you’re looking for unglamorous, lowly, and menial, try being a staff writer. 🙂

5. avatar jwm says:

E-mail? What the hell is a E-mail? Get off my lawn you dagnabed whippersnappers.

6. avatar Mark Lloyd says:

Eye reetirurd an reed an right reel gud eye learnt how to chek eemale an did it befour

7. avatar CRF says:

I sure wish I had time to do this. Oh well. Maybe one day…

8. avatar Max says:

Resume sent!

9. avatar Gary Reece says:

Hire me or I will pee in your gas tank ! That’s my Resume.

10. avatar Geoff PR says:

Make sure to have the losing, er, winning applicant resurrect ‘The Daily Digest’ while your’e at it…

11. avatar Justin Schmidt says:

well I’m a disabled vet….in texas, that has a background in marketing. ….

12. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Gee I’ve never sent you guys an E-mail. I know my e-mail gets mighty backed up. I just deleted 10000+. I keep getting them from Concealed Carry magazine even though 4 years ago I said I don’t want it. I would welcome more NRA crap…I’m way too much of a Luddite to even attempt this.

13. avatar Matt in FL says:

I probably spent 7-10 hours a week just on the Digest. ‘Course, I was unemployed at the time…

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Where’s the vote button telling TTAG to hire you full time at your current wage?

1. avatar Sovereign says:

Second this, please hire Matt full time. Great guy and missed his daily digest.

1. avatar Swarf says:

For real.

Your contributions were valuable, entertaining and are missed.

I agree. Matt in FL, the digest was brilliant.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

More agreement. Classic stuff.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I appreciate all the kind words, but I’m with Accur81 in the working 60-70 hours a week club. I often only read one or two posts a day here, if that, so there’s definitely not time for sorting through a couple hundred emails. If my schedule allowed, I’d be right back in the saddle.

14. avatar Shwiggie says:

Brother, there’s not enough money out there to pay me to sort someone else’s email. Mine is enough of a PITA; I can’t imagine what sifting the email for the biggest baddest gun blog in the known universe would be like!

Best of luck, all the same. I’m sure there’s a trusty someone out there who could use the gig, and anything that increases editorial responsiveness will be a boon to you and the rest of us.

15. avatar Naz says:

Glad to know I’m unique!

16. avatar Special K says:

Man do I ever wish I had the bandwidth… responded to email inquiries for a living for a major corporation a couple of careers ago…

17. avatar Stoopid1 says:

Is a communist sympathiser eligible?

1. avatar Model 31 says:

Sanders is still running for President.

18. avatar Paelorian says:

I’ll probably sent TTAG in the next few days. My resume won’t be promising, I don’t have relevant employment experience. I do, however, have an excellent command of the English language and am a daily reader of and regular commenter on TTAG and other internet gun media who is looking for a job and is passionate about and deeply interested in guns. I email daily and am computer literate and familiar with more advanced computer security measures I might utilize in the position in order to secure the TTAG mailbox and website. I’m calm and courteous and I think I’d have little difficulty responding to the flood of emails politely and concisely. I also like to think I have the good judgment and sense required to know what to handle myself and what to forward to the higher-ups. I live in New York but am eager to relocate and am very willing to move to Texas or another state (I’d strongly prefer a free one) if this job develops into one that can support me (enough to be financially secure with a fairly frugal lifestyle). Should I apply even though I’m 26 and have never worked in publishing and blogging? No requirements other than being a reliable, decent, technically capable human being of good judgement and sound mind? Like I said, I’m young and have a thin and flimsy resume, although teachers and people I’ve worked with would recommend me.

1. avatar Colt Magnum says:

You forgot to mention how modest you are.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

And good looking…

🙂

@Paelorian, I think I’d like to introduce you to my daughter.

19. avatar pod says:

Sent.

I do something very similar in a different industry. Plus, I have this unholy obsession with guns and I keep TTAG open in a browser tab all day.

20. avatar Accur81 says:

I’d definitely apply if I wasn’t working 60-70 hours per week. The pay isn’t great, but the opportunity to test new firearms would be awesome.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

You might be able to score a Vegas SHOT show trip once a year…

*might*

I got the SHOT invite from RF a couple of times, but the SHOT hotshots would not issue credentials to me unless I blogged under my full real name.

Like that’s ever going to happen. Concealed means concealed.

21. avatar DAN V says:

I know the difference between your and you’re. That’s better than 90% of the internet.

22. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Reminds me of the job I had at the zoo circumsizing elephants.
    The pay wasn’t great but the tips were enormous…

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Don’t tell me –

The elephant foreskins made great change purses, but when rubbed they turned into a suitcase?

{ Rimshot }

23. avatar andrea says:

Such a pity I am in Italy…
    However if you need a translator from and to Italian, and you don’t need it too often I will do it for free..
    Andrea, from the town of the leaning tower

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

I’m sure TTAG would benifet from additional international news. If you find interesting international gun related news and translate you could send to the new guy/girl for submission.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

I hope TTAG management seriously considers that…

2. avatar Robert Farago says:

How about an Italian TTAG?

24. avatar Ron T from KY says:

Your vs You’re…ok
    How about its vs it’s?
    That one beats 99% of the interwebs, sadly.

25. avatar G Lady says:

Suggesting my wife. Currently unemployed. Great with social media and computers in general. Background in logistics, contracts, and shooting; she’s a West Virginia gal! I’ll bet she’d be willing to work for less just to get busy again. Our oldest lives in Dallas and she’s always looking for an excuse to go see him.

26. avatar DukeNuke says: