Gérard Depardieu in Hot Water Over Gun-Friendly Watch Ad

Gérard Depardieu is now a citizen of Russia? The actor who starred in Green Card, a not-entirely-terrible comedy about emigrating to the U.S.? Funny old world, innit? Comrade Depardieu is taking heat for starring in an ad for a Swiss-made Oligarch-friendly Cvestos watch.  GQ dissed its “nauseous wordplay and pathetic production quality.” Le Figaro trumpeted “Gérard Depardieu ‘smokes deers’ in an absurd advert.” I reckon it’s a suitable hammy addition to the Depardieu canon. So to speak.

comments

1. avatar Alan Longnecker says:

Just once, I’d like to see one of these celebrities tell these rags, “Go pound sand, bullies.”

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

Given the entire post is a video which is deleted, shall we delete the post?

3. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

A French actor who swapped European citizenship for Russian. I should be concerned about him because?………………….

1. avatar Eye-roller says:

Well, if for no other reason, because Depardieu told the confiscatory socialist thieves in France to shove it up their collective (heh) asses. Why’s he a Russian citizen? Because Francois Hollande stormed into office on a promise to drastically raise taxes. And rather than fork over twice as much of his own personal wealth, rather than be a “good little sheep”, Depardieu told ’em to go to hell, threw out his French passport, and went to Russia (apparently Depardieu is “big” in Russia, the same way Hasselhoff is supposed to be “big in Germany.”)

So Depardieu appears to be a socialist-hating, pro-gun actor. What’s wrong with that? Rather than bagging on him, why not give him Gun (and taxes) Hero Of The Day?

I mean, this is a guy who doesn’t take crap from anyone. Double his taxes, he leaves the country. Tell him the bathroom’s busy, and he’ll piss in the aisle of an airplane:

4. avatar neiowa says:

“GQ”??? There is a relevant source They got their pink lace thongs all in a wad over nasty old guns? What happened to tanning, scraggly beards, murses, and the other latest fashions? the important stuff.

5. avatar EJQ says:

Well, it’s an ugly watch, but my taste runs towards a Rolex with a diamond bezzle. Probably why I use my cell phone to tell the time.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

You weren’t kidding about the ugly part.

My idea of a high-end watch stops around Luminox…

6. avatar James69 says:

Non-story. A washed up tax dodger.

1. avatar Felix says:

The only thing worse than a tax dodger is someone who thinks dodging taxes is dodgy.

7. avatar ActionPhysicalMan says:

Gerard Depardieu first thing in the morning? This could be considered malevolent.

1. avatar california richard says:

I dont think we need to defend this guy. The watch looks stupid; I dont think he shot that dear; he’s sniffing a live round rather than a spent casing; the production quality of that video sucks; he’s cosy with russian Olegarchs; and we’re supposed to believe he went hunting in a business suit?…. I dont think he’s even pro-2a.

8. avatar Sixpack70 says:

I love how dumb anti hunters are. Your entire existence means small fluffy animals die. Even if you are vegan. You can’t avoid it.

9. avatar pwrserge says:

It’s a sad day when Russian citizenship is preferable to French. (Also hilarious that Russia is now less communist than France.)

1. avatar Ing says:

Yep. The USSR lost the Cold War, but the communists won the propaganda war hands-down.

10. avatar Jeremy S. says:

That’s a hell of a weird advert

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

The whole visual was strange.

‘Look at me. A corpulent putz with poor grooming and atrocious taste in timepieces just killed an animal…’

11. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Vegetarian! Yeah Green Card was only watchable because of this guy…honestly why is this a thing?

1. avatar bLoving says:

I liked him better as Porthos in The Man in the Iron Mask remake.

12. avatar dph says:

Really? The deer knows what time it is and will show up at a predetermined place and right on time in order to be shot by a fat French Russian guy. I wish we could import some of those deer here, then we wouldn’t have to slog through mud and snow trying to find them.

1. avatar Mark D says:

Completely unrelated to anything…I had a conversation with a co-worker that I felt was intelligent. He told me that he liked to hunt when the clocks changed for Day Light Saving. He said the time change messed with the deer, that they would be confused when daylight came early. I had to explain to him that the sun rose and set at the same time, as it has forever. I told him that the time change is a man made construct and that the deer don’t wear watches. He was dumbfounded. I am sure that this was wisdom he had heard from his Dad and Grandpa and he never questioned it.

13. avatar JohnF says:

From Wikipedia: “In his youth, Depardieu was also once a rent boy, a petty thief who served three weeks in prison for stealing a car and also turned his hand to grave robbing..”

Also, there has long been an allegation that Depardieu took part in a gang rape of a girl in a bus station when he was a teenager. When the allegation first came out, his publicist said it was true, but Depardieu was sorry for it. Then Depardieu said his publicist was wrong and had since denied it ever happened.

I have to say, I think he is a great actor, but he is a total shit-bag as a person.

14. avatar anaxis says:

The music in the background reminds me of an old Lockdown 187 remix track….. which itself was lifted from “A Few Dollars More”.

“Gunman”

1. avatar Daily Beatings says:

I knew that was the music from the pocket watch in “For a Few Dollars More”:

I hope that Depardieu has learned his lesson. The leftist twinkies can never accept shooting a deer unless the hunter is flaunting a man bun, perfectly groomed stubble (to prove his manliness) and skinny jeans. It’s also important for the hunter to cry (to show even more of his female side) and to share his catch with the natives. Apparently, they’ve lost their ability to hunt.

1. avatar ropingdown says:

In my experience the locals haven’t lost the ability to hunt. They simply can’t afford the tags or hunting rights in Europe and Africa. Too bad. As for former rent boys as macho advert stars, he’s matched up with the wrong product. Should be hawking super-reliable condoms.

16. avatar Accur81 says:

I give Gerard full marks for pissing off a host of liberal progressive wankers. He’s perfectly alright in my book, despite the commercial be a little creepy. Have you seen France’s tax rates? Screw that.

17. avatar Moe Sizlak says:

The commercial is kinda weird anyway, whatever