New From NAA: Top-Break Mini Revolver

naa-break-top-1

Fans of the Schofield and other, top-break revolvers may enjoy this one. North American Arms is finalizing the design on a top-break Mini Revolver, which will go on sale later this year. We checked out a test mule at SHOT Show and learned a bit about it . . .

naa-break-top-4

Pulling rearwards on that hook in front of the hammer releases the barrel and cylinder unit, allowing it to tilt forwards. On this version, the hook is also the rear sight.

naa-break-top-3

Further tilting of the barrel and cylinder causes the extractor to extend.

naa-break-top-2

NAA is still tinkering with this aspect of the mechanism to ensure that it’s stout enough to withstand long-term use, and may or may not be mulling over the idea of making an ejector model. Not gonna lie, if they do a version with modern sights and an ejector, I’ll have cash in hand.

comments

1. avatar pwrserge says:

This looks pretty cool. Not a big wheel gun guy, but with an ejector and a dovetailed front sight… It might make my list.

1. avatar Anonymous says:

They are nice and make a nice little pocket pistol, but there is the issue of the power of the 22LR cartridge and the 22 magnum uses a very slow burning powder with much of it burned after it exits the barrel.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Yeah, although there are a couple manufacturers that have responded to the popularity of these NAAs, the Ruger LCR in .22 mag, and the Kel-Tec PMR-30 by making rounds with faster-burning powder. For instance, the Speer Gold Dot does 1,050 fps from a 1.9″ barrel. Product description for it:

New – Gold Dot® Short Barrel® Personal Protection – 22 Win. Mag.
        The newest addition to the Speer® Gold Dot Short Barrel line is the 40-grain .22 WMR hollow point. If this is the personal defense chambering you prefer, then this specialized new round is a must-have. Optimized for use in 2-inch barrels, it’s designed to provide less kick, and will get reliable expansion. Gold Dot ammunition is known for superb performance, accuracy and reliability. No other ammunition offers such consistent high-performance. Nickel-plated for reliable feeding and extraction, this proven Short Barrel load is sure to perform.

2. avatar Anonymous says:

This is what you need – NAA with diamonds:

Even shoots a bullet encrusted with diamonds

3. avatar mark s. says:

I’m in . I have a couple of these little rascals and the loading has always been the bug a boo with me and this is my favorite wheel gun design .
      I’ve owned several with this system , been around forever . Ivers Johnson 32 1880’s design , actually had a Glock trigger .
      I love the 22 magnum round , a lot more versatile than most realize . The newer ammo only adds the game .
      The devastation these little buggers can do is equal to a 38 and even 9 mm in some test , depending on the ammo , barrels and distances of coarse , but for a 30 cent bullet , pretty awesome . I wouldn’t want to be shot with one .

2. avatar jwm says:

Wait. Didn’t they already bring a top break to market? North of five hundred bucks? Am I confused?

Fond memories of my h&r .22 top break. H&r’s .38 top break had a manual ejecter rod. Had one of those, too.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

A while back they did, and it wasn’t cheap, though I can’t recall what they were asking.

I think I recall it had some problems, as well.

I *do* like this one…

2. avatar Tile floor says:

The more I look at NAA products l, the more I want one

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

That is a perfectly normal, natural reaction. NAA ownership tends to go from initially thinking they’re just gimmicky toys to owning several pretty quickly…

The best part is, you can buy a LOT of them before you need a bigger safe.

3. avatar Eric in Oregon says:

Now that is a good looking “always” gun. I think I’ll have to have one…

4. avatar Dave Lewis says:

.22 mag? I’ll be in line. A great little hide out gun.

1. avatar mark s. says:

One for the sock , Padre .

5. avatar LeverDude in PA says:

Love my NAA Pug. They are REALLY built well. Love the idea of a break top too.

But really for me, it would probably only make it easier to shoot on the range. Not planning on trying to do any quick reloads in a defensive situation with a Mini. I might even be a little concerned too that it would ‘break’ open on me at the wrong time (in my pocket, when drawing, etc), but I’m sure NAA will get that right. They really make a quality product

1. avatar Craig says:

I have been considering purchasing a Pug later this year but I would really prefer to purchase a version of this revolver set up like the Pug.

6. avatar PeterW says:

Does that make it CA friendly?

1. avatar jwm says:

I think he splained that it has to have a minumum overall length. The swing out model had a 4″ model that made it CA complient.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Yeah, the reload method has nothing to do with that CA law. For a revolver to be Roster-exempt, it has to:

32100. (a) Article 4 (commencing with Section 31900) and Article 5
        (commencing with Section 32000) shall not apply to a single-action
        revolver that has at least a five-cartridge capacity with a barrel
        length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following
        specifications:
        (1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or
        relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of
        Federal Regulations.
        (2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at
        least seven and one-half inches when the handle, frame or receiver,
        and barrel are assembled.

So they’d have to make a version of this that had a barrel long enough to meet the 3″ minimum and also bring the OAL up to 7.5″. Well, obviously the OAL could be extended in other ways also, but the easiest would just be slapping on a barrel long enough to do it.

7. avatar TruthTellers says:

Totally agree, if this has modern sights like the Black Widow or the Mini Master, I’m all in.

I don’t care if the rounds eject. The ejecting of the shells and reloading with the top break will still be the fastest available, even faster than the very “cramped” Sidewinder.

Give me a model with real sights and I’ll pay $400+ for this gun.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

I’d like it to eject mostly for the fun factor 🙂

8. avatar Geoff PR says:

If someone knows more, please clue me, but I believe NAA uses metal injection molding for the frames an outside supplier provides them to finish.

The point being, just because it’s injection molded, doesn’t make it junk like the Bryco, Lorcin, Jennings, Raven, etc…

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Those other companies you mention are made from cast “pot metal” (zinc alloy like ZAMAK). I’m not sure how NAA actually makes its revolver frames — although I believe they’re machined from castings whereas the cylinder and barrel are machined from stock — but whether they’re machined from stock, cast, or MIM, they’re quality stainless steel and I have literally never, ever heard of one failing.

1. avatar Mason says:

I once worked for a machining company that may or may not have made parts for them. I can’t speak to the frames or cylinders, but the other parts we made were all from billet or bar stock.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Definitely isn’t the case currently, as the hammer and trigger in these photos show obvious “dots” from either a casting or MIM process (same with the 4″ Sidewinder I recently reviewed: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/02/jeremy-s/gun-review-naa-4-sidewinder/). I’m not currently near the Mini I’ve owned for like 7 years so can’t take a closer look at it to see what’s what.

2. avatar LeverDude in PA says:

It’s a good question. I couldn’t find any answer easily in a quick search there. I have to say though that from owning one, it feels and looks like the absolute finest of milled/forged craftsmanship. It ticks like a watch and feels absolutely as durable and well built as my (prelock) SW 686 -4. There’s absolutely no doubt it’s a top quality, well built firearm. Get one in your hands and give it a spin and it’s easy to see. I almost consider it an ‘heirloom’ piece in my collection because it’s going to keep ticking for a long long time, and it still looks like the day I got it. My guess is that it’s machined from quality bar stock, but that’s just a guess. the thing is a gem either way. That’s why it was almost 400 bucks.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

I’ve owned an NAA. In no way whatsoever am I questioning their quality.

A while back here there was a discussion in TTAG where someone was bad-mouthing injection molding.

Looking at the hammer it appears to be mold marks, but Jeremy advised they were casting marks.

I loved my Mini, and will very likely acquire another down the road…

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

No, hammer and trigger could be MIM or cast. Those little dots are typically MIM but castings can have them as well so I can’t be positive either way.

2. avatar sagebrushracer says:

OMG metal injection molding, sooo bad!!

/sarc

Rolls Royce makes some of their very high quality jet turbine parts via MIM. My dad used to help build those specialized furnaces to melt exotic alloys, he always brought home cool things that didn’t pass Q/C that got put in the scrap bin. the turbine blades were replaceable IRC, because of hours in service or damage.

3. avatar Sian says:

Yeah, MIM isn’t necessarily bad. When it isn’t used as a cheap shortcut, it’s as good as anything.

9. avatar PeterC says:

NAA did make an earlier version of the Ranger break-open model, but determined that it would be too costly to produce. It was built like a Swiss watch, and there were only 502 made.

10. avatar James69 says:

now make it in .38/357/45 I’m all in.

1. avatar Hawkeye says:

Apparently, I’m not the only one jonesing for a top break defensive .357

2. avatar jwm says:

I’ve always liked top breaks. I believe the Russians made one in .357.

1. avatar crashbbear says:

MP412 REX. It wasn’t able to be imported for legal reasons. It was in one of the call of duty games as an 8-shot. Wanted one ever since. I think it had some polymer to it as well.

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

jwm, the other day you mentioned maybe getting one for when you were out river-gold hunting, if you do, pop off the wood grips and give it a good spray of Boeshield T-9, that stuff is amazing, it will give a waxy film to what it’s on and seal it from corrosion. I’ve had personal experience with that stuff when replacing boat trailer stop-turn lights on a trailer used in Florida salt water. A few years of use, popped the lens covers off, *zero* corrosion, compared to the corroded mess of the lights that were replaced.

1. avatar jwm says:

Thanks for the tip. If I can find one in our LGS’s the first thing I’ll do is replace the wooden grips with rubber grips and do the treatment as you suggest.

3. avatar James69 says:

I have one in .45 acp. Old dinosaur Webley. Very fast reload using the moon clips. I shoot it using reloaded lower pressure ammo. No .45acp off the shelf.

3. avatar VSN says:

If you have 10k to spend, you can pick up a new Webley.

11. avatar anaxis says:

Nifty…. that little piece is right in my wheelhouse. I’ve always liked the NAA revolvers, and the Sidewinder had me seriously considering one. Glad I held out, now that these are on the way.

12. avatar Accur81 says:

Looks pretty cool to me. A .22 Mag / .22 LR combo would be a pretty hot item.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

I wonder if the conversion could be done.

If it is, fantastic. I’d prefer one in .22lr and use that derringer .22lr ammo ShootingTheBull410 tested that was optimized for tiny .22lr’s like the NAA…

13. avatar TheYetti says:

Might actually buy one of these

14. avatar PeterK says:

I love NAA. And I love Top break revolvers. I want one. We’ll see, though. It has to take it’s place in a long line of waiting for my sorry butt to get the funds, heh.

15. avatar Hank says:

Just the NAA I’ve been wanting. Sign me up!

16. avatar Rick K says:

Cute little devil. Extractor and usable sights make it a handy bug. I hope it’s priced right and has a few caliber choices.

17. avatar Sian says:

Surprised it wasn’t done sooner.

Top break is brilliant for this application.

1. avatar Joe F. says:

It was done sooner, but NAA outsourced the original Ranger model, and only 500 were made.
      This new Ranger model, is supposed to be manufactured in-house this time, and hopefully without the 500 model limit.

18. avatar VSN says:

Hmm, I guess that I will hold off on buying that SideWinder.

19. avatar Jeff O. says:

I really like that!

I have a .38-200 Webley, and I really like it, but something I don’t have to police brass on would be a lot of fun to flip open and dump.

20. avatar Royal Tony says:

I’ve always wanted a top-break revolver. Not sure why.

1. avatar Sian says:

Because Schofields and Webleys are sexy.

1. avatar VSN says:

Also, because Trigun.

21. avatar gs650g says:

I have an ivers Johnson that operated this way. It’s my favorite plinking gun

22. avatar SeanD says:

Well…. I need one of these in my life.

23. avatar David gould says:

You’re worried about not having modern sights on a tiny pocket pistol? Really?

24. avatar Joe F. says:

I have been waiting for this particular model for quite awhile now.
    I currently have the Sidewinder, and had the Mini Master prior to this one.
    But, I would trade them all for this new Ranger model…
    As soon as it becomes available, I’m going to purchase one or two of these!
    I just hope they offer it with different barrel lengths…
    And, I hope the rear release mechanism will still allow for the laser grip…