Takedown AR-15 Rifle: Coolest Thing from SHOT Show

P1200700

There are a couple companies that have done a takedown AR-15 rifle recently. Wyndham Weaponry just acquired the heretofore most popular version from MGI, and while it is nifty it isn’t perfect. There are things that can be changed to make it more visually appealing and easier to assemble. The folks at Cry Havoc Tactical have come up with their own solution that allows a 14.5″ AR-15 to fold down into the space of a traditional 3 ring binder . . .

P1200698

The magic is in the barrel lock plate. The previous MGI solution used two rotating pins on either side of the barrel to lock it in place, but the Cry havoc folks went with a latch design instead. I think this is a better design because it allows for a tighter lockup between the barrel and the receiver (which should improve accuracy) and is quicker to put together in the field.

Needless to say we’ve asked for a kit for testing. This thing looks pretty cool, and if it works as advertised it could go a long way towards making AR-15 rifles easier to carry around.

comments

1. avatar James in AZ says:

Did i miss something? Why is windham spelt with a Y?

1. avatar Paul53 says:

Some Mainer flunked spelling.

1. avatar michi says:

Nope. Windham spells it Windham. Nick spells it Wyndham.

2. avatar Steve in MA (now RI) says:

They went to school? Over-achiever.

2. avatar michi says:

It’s not. Nick always spells it ‘Wyndham’, (well, at least this time and the last time) and I don’t know why.

Mentioned it last time too, he didn’t change it.

Bugs the hell out of me since they’ve been a pretty good company to me as far as CS goes.

1. avatar Brent says:

Nick is now 2 for 2 on factually flawed posts and TTAG doesn’t seem to care a flip about correcting them

So much for “the truth” about guns I guess…

1. avatar Julian says:

A typo is not a “factual flaw,” and does not impede the “truth”.

2. avatar 16V says:

A repeated typo is beyond “sloppy” journalism.

It’s rather sad, and fully emblematic of the ‘speshul snowflake’ class.

(Of f-wits.)

3. avatar 16V says:

I regret my ad hominem as it goes, “Eff wit” was directed at the entitled millenials who have no clue about spelling, ad I’m sure he’s a decent kid and all that.

Regardless, he can’t spell, neither can his editors….

3. avatar Ram says:

Spelled, not spelt!

2. avatar Bob in MI says:

To be honest this is the first thing I’ve seen from Shot show this year that I found particularly interesting.

1. Same here, too much that hasn’t been done yet.

3. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Pretty cool. Maybe I’m to OC, but no dust cover on AR’s really bothers me.
    I take it they will make a 16″ version?

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Who needs a 16″ barrel?
      Listen, if you can afford the ring binder, you can afford the $200 tax stamp and the 6-month wait. Now quit yer whining.

1. avatar Jon in CO says:

People who want velocity from puny 5.56 want 16″ barrels. Trying to chop down a round designed for a 20″ barrel seems to be a not-so-great idea, at least in my eyes. Not saying I want to get shot by one from a 10″ barrel. You get the idea.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

That bad boy would appear identical with a .300 Blk barrel, allowing it to be shortened several inches, which (with rearranging) should allow packing a suppressor in that binder as well. Which would strike me as freakin’ MARVELOUS!! And the XM-177E2 I carried in Vietnam was lotsa fun to shoot, with a 12.5″ barrel.

2. avatar The Dude Abides says:

Choose the right bullets and an sbr is just as effective as a full size rifle out past 300m.

2. avatar Shawn says:

I built one very similar over a year ago. I used the drd tactical quick takedown upper, fab/mako folding pistol grip, and the troy pdw stock

4. avatar Noah says:

Very cool. I wouldn’t mind seeing a 16″ pinned suppressor version, but then again, if you can afford whatever this costs, you can probably afford a few tax stamps too.

Also, I give it two weeks before this shows up as the cinema assassins’ weapon of choice.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

It could just as well be the cinema defender’s weapon of choice. But the terrorists will get preferential treatment by the ATF (that’s what Big O promised when he visited that mosque yesterday), so the jihadis will get their tax stamps first.

5. avatar Paul53 says:

Ya know Nick, last month was my birthday, and I didn’t even get a card………………..

Send me your address and I’ll send you a card.

(Is re-gifting a card okay?)

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“Is re-gifting a card okay?”

Sure! Just like this:

Steve (or whoever sent the card) joins me in wishing Paul53 a happy birthday!

Q.E.D…

1. avatar Paul53 says:

LOL! Thanks.

6. avatar Hannibal says:

Huh, this is something kinda gimmicky that appeals to me. Who needs a 10/22 takedown when you have this?

1. avatar 16V says:

A marginally more powerful, if far less reliable 10/22?

1. avatar David PA/NJ says:

10x the muzzle energy isn’t what I would call “marginal”

1. avatar 16V says:

If you actually shoot that poodle-popper, it is pretty marginal past 150m. Just like a .22lr.

2. avatar Bob in MI says:

This is a ridiculous overstatement…. understatement…. its just wrong. I’ve used the “poodleshooter” pretty extensively. I I found it to be quite sufficient in stopping vermin of the two legged variety at distances that wouldn’t even penetrate skin with a 10/22. Go take your M1A and go home.

3. avatar 16V says:

Look, 5.56 is woefully under powered. Until very recently, you couldn’t even take deer with .223/5.56. legally in my state with it. Can it be made to work? Sure, as can .22lr.

It’s a known thing, been that way since forever, try to have some fun with it. And I don’t have an M1A….

2. avatar Accur81 says:

The Mk 318 Mod 0, M855, and M193 5.56 rounds can achieve about 1100-1200 foot pounds from a 14.7″ barrel. They blow milk jugs filled with water to bits. You may be the only one on TTAG who thinks a 40 grain bullet at 1200 FPS and a 62 grain bullet a 2925 FPS are in the same power class.

7. avatar mike says:

I’ve always considered the AR as a takedown rifle anyway. You know… upper and lower.

1. avatar Anonymoose says:

Nope, not really. A ton of people say the exact same thing whenever there’s an article about a true TD AR. All you’re losing is the length of the stock from the upper when you pop the pins. With a barrel over 16″, you cannot carry a regular AR broken down in any of the fancy concealed rifle bags or in a normal-sized pack I know of. Detaching the barrel cuts the length in half (or thereabouts), which makes concealment a lot easier.

1. avatar Royal Tony says:

While it might not take down like a pro, I like the fact that taking the upper and lower apart on allows me to fit my carbine length AR in a more discreet case. One that doesn’t have a lot of tactical going on. But that’s mostly because I live around a bunch of A-holes.

8. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Just like silencers, nobody except terrorists and assassins needs an assault weapon in a Pee Chee folder. These should be banned, right after I get mine grandfathered in.

1. avatar Anonymoose says:

Shut up, commie!

1. avatar Jim says:

Apparently your sarcasm detector is broken 😉 (or maybe you meant that sarcastically to mess with our heads?)

1. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Oooh……countersarcasm? Interesting. A wisecrack, inside a mockery, wrapped in a lampooning! We’re through the looking glass here. I’ll give the loose(lipped) moose the benefit of the doubt.

I’m working on my tolerance and forgiveness. New for 2016.

9. avatar Stoopid1 says:

Rugers takedown is better.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

That’s what I was thinking. The Ruger has a dust cover and a .300 BLK conversion kit, and probably costs less, too.

2. avatar dd says:

Ruger’s takedown AR is also a larger 16″ and wont fit in a lunchbox like this one will.

10. avatar Steve in N CA says:

Shut up and take my money.

11. avatar other Chris says:

I love the concept but this fills no role whatsoever in my life. In fact, I couldn’t think of a situation that only a specific take down ar15 is the only answer. there are other guns that could fill that role. like, a sub2000. because this is a concealed rifle. so, a security detail or something like that. so, a subgun would be fine. otherwise just having sidearms and access to long guns in a vehicle should be fine. I dunno, somebody school me.

12. avatar Anonymoose says:

How does this compare to the Huntertown Arms Dolos or those DRD rifles?

13. avatar Model66 says:

My Trapper Keeper with the car on it was still cooler.

1. avatar Jim says:

LOL! (and I really did LOL, but not loud enough to wake my kids)

2. avatar George says:

For the win

14. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

Can you shoot it without the barrel latched on, or is the chamber entirely in that portion?

15. avatar Dan l says:

I’d prefer someone make a better mouse trap of the law tactical folder. I think someone can do better than 9 ounces, 2 inch length increase of your ar. But then again the best thing out there is to buy the sig mpx or mcx kit, which will work on any ar lower. Use a brace, and a short barrel and you have a folding ar that weighs 6 lbs or less and fits in your average backpack…. all imo

16. avatar Lou says:

Here is the website since the writer did not include it: cryhavoctac.com . Also a pinned flash hider or 16″ threaded barrel will only add 2 – 3″ and avoid all of the NFA headaches including travel across state lines OR just use this as a pistol and dump the stock. Prepper & Shooter Magazine (1st issue) showed the same concept of a compact AR (w/o takedown barrel) pistol with 10.5″ barrel, plastic upper and lower, and same Mako folding grip. Broken down in halves, it fits perfectly in a briefcase, goes together just as fast and is probably $200+ cheaper. The Cry Havoc barrel system is still nicer than others I’ve seen and a true takedown unlike the new Ruger takedown AR.

1. avatar MeRp says:

Ah, thanks for the site, since that reveals some very useful things: a) this is a set of parts that can be added to any AR-15 not a complete rifle (this is good, this enables anything and everything on people’s wishlists in this comment section) and b) it only costs ~$350, which means that, no, just because you can afford this does not automatically imply that you should be happy to pay $200 for an SBR tax stamp.

It also means that, if you have an AR, but not a 10/22 takedown, it costs roughly the same to convert your AR into a takedown as it does to buy a 10/22 takedown. Now who was it that wanted a .22LR rifle (with no ammo, since that is made of four leaf clovers and unicorn farts) instead of an AR?

17. avatar Detroiter says:

I really do hope this is a teaser for a review.

I’ve been wondering if a barrel could be attached like this….I have concerns over long term wear and fretting, deforming of the arms that clamp it together!

18. avatar Mika says:

This barrel kit has been tested over 4800 rounds on one unit and 7800 rounds on another with no trouble according to the company. What was mot mentioned in the article is this is a kit for your AR. So if you own a 16″ AR rifle, you can purchase the kit and convert your gun. No need to buy another rifle. As was said above, no way just taking the upper off is as short, and for discreet carry size matters. Not everyone gets that. Not everyone wants to have their rifle with them. Not everyone even shoots their guns! This is a cool idea and a must have for me!

19. avatar Ralph with Cry Havoc Tactical says:

Not everyone gets it, but……. This is a Rifle for when you’re not carrying a Rifle.
    A 11.5″ barrel with an A2 flash hider fits in a 13″ package (3 ring binder, trapper keeper)
    A 12.5″ barrel with an A2 flash hider fits in a 14″ package (laptop case)
    A 14.5″ barrel with a pinned on flash hider fits in a 16.5″ package (brief case, messenger bag). It’s built with a Faxon pencil barrel, Ti bolt carrier, BCM KMR hand guard and an old style CAR stock. It weights in at 4.6 pounds!
    The 16.5″ gun fits in my messenger bag…. along with my laptop, files, a note pad (yes, I still use paper), and everything that normally goes in a brief case. Oh, forgot to mention the four 30 round magazines.
    This is my daily carry around set up. It’s not an SBR, so no NFA worries.
    You carry a hand gun to fight your way to your Rifle. now you don’t have to fight so far.

1. avatar Ralph with Cry Havoc Tactical says:

Compared to the other take down guns/conversions, we have a couple major engineering improvements:
      1) Our patented two piece gas system. The gas tube does NOT stick out past the end of the barrel extension. This makes the barrel assembly an inch shorter, and insures the gas tube doesn’t get bent! A bent gas tube means you have a single shot rifle, at best.
      2) Our hand guard does NOT rotate to tighten up the barrel. . This means you have a useable front sight that does not wander around depending on how tight you twist the hand guard.
      3) The hand guard is MOUNTED to the barrel. You only have two pieces to juggle/assemble, the receiver assembly and the barrel assembly. They go together without tools.
      4) You can set up multiple barrel assemblies for one receiver assembly. Switch from a 8″ .300 Blackout CQB barrel to a 24″ sniper barrel, with optics change, in under a minute.

20. avatar Tacticool says:

How does this compare to the frontier armory version that is getting so much more press for some reason? ( I would like to compare them myself on my FB Tacticool page, or the AR15 builders pages if I get the opportunity )

21. avatar Mika says:

I didn’t think the Frontier was available?
    Don’t they make one when you order/pay first? Anyone remember the Shrike? Looks like a Dolo’s spin system but with factory handguards