Idaho Moves Towards Constitutional Carry. Again.

54fa40781fa31.image
A large crowd of 700 people demonstrated for Constitutional carry at the Idaho Capitol on  February 20th. Constitutional carry has been introduced for this session of the Idaho legislature.  The current version of the bills are HO422 and HO423. Statement of purpose of HO422 . . .

This legislation would make Idaho a permitless carry state. Currently, permitless carry applies to all areas outside of city limits. This legislation specifies who may carry a concealed weapon without a permit. The bill also adds an age restriction for permitless carry to those 21 years or older. The concealed carry permitting statutes will remain unchanged for reciprocity reasons.

FISCAL NOTE

No impact to the General Fund.

It is important that there is no impact to the General Fund. In many states, bills that have significant monetary impact require several more steps to pass.

In 2015, it looked as though a similar bill would pass. Intramural infighting among the Republican party doomed the bill. This year, things seem better.

HO422 has been sent to the House Ways and Means committee. This committee is a very powerful committee in most legislatures. The committee Chair is Christy Perry, from the 11th District. Greg Pruitt of the Idaho Second Amendment Alliance has Representative Perry on video stating that she supports permitless (Constitutional) carry.

HO422 has one serious flaw. Currently, Idaho has permitless carry outside of cities. It has open carry all over the state for people who are 18 years old or older. HO422 would increase the age of open and permitless carry to 21, thus depriving the 18-20 year olds of rights that they now have.

I cannot wonder if the age limit was put in place as a “poison pill” to once against stymie Constitutional carry in Idaho. Chair of the Ways and Means Committee, Christy Perry has not brought the bill up for a vote. Another common way to kill a bill is to run out the clock. On the Idaho legislative web site, I was unable to find any hearings scheduled for the bill.

Will Republican infighting once again stop Constitutional carry in Idaho? It appeared that it should be a slam dunk this year, but chances looked very good for passage last year as well. Sometimes personalities override common sense and a desire to get the legislatures work done.

©2016 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice and link are included.

Gun Watch

comments

1. avatar 2Asux says:

This protest is unconstitutional. Guns are unconstitutional. Saying mean things to me is unconstitutional. Hurting my feelings is unconstitutional. Disagreeing with my view is unconstitutional.

You are all unconstitutional!

I have a constitutionally protected right to tell ALL of you want to do.

Stupid gun people. I will bring gun sense to Idaho the “Pineapple State” and all of America.

I will be bring gun sense to the constitution. I will prove victorious!

Once my dad, Leland Yee, get out of jail, yes, we will bring gun sense to all of the world. For posterity.

Well as long as I’m home by 9. My mom doesn’t like it when I stay out late.

1. avatar On the can says:

That made me laugh, quite a bit.

1. avatar 2Asux says:

Do not mock me, peasant!

I am the paterfamilias of gun sense. I am the Alpha and Omega. I am bringer justice to the people.

My father Leland Yee taught me how troll the Internet in search of truth, gun sense, and the American way of life!

And he also taught me sweet reciepe for Steamed Pork w/vegetables.

1. avatar YankeeDog says:

Please, oh great seer of truth, continue to enlighten us on how your ideal of the gunless society will be safety for all. Tell us how the weak will no longer need to fear the strong, the few fear the many, the aged fear the young, the handicapped fear the strong and healthy — all who would prey on the weak will prey no more, for there will be no guns, therefore no crime.

2. avatar 2Asux says:

Crime matters not! Only gun sense and what I think is what matters!

I will bring rain! I will bring freedom from choice! I will bring safety to the universe! I will bring tacos on Tuesdays!

At my father Leland Yee’s side (when he gets out of jail of course) we will bring gun sense to the whole of the world!

I AM THE TANT OF GUN SENSE!

3. avatar YankeeDog says:

Hold the tacos. Replace with tequila.

Glad you deliver. Will you also be bringing egg rolls?

2. avatar Art out West says:

Hopefully this passes (with the 21 year age requirement removed). I’d like to see Idaho go Constitutional carry.

By the way, what’s the deal with the 21 age requirement for handguns under Federal law anyway? Either somebody is legally and adult, or they aren’t. The law should be consistent. Either make 21 an adult, or make 18 an adult, but be consistent.

Personally, as a guy in his 40’s, I wouldn’t mind seeing the voting age raised to 21 anyway.

1. avatar On the can says:

I think it has to do with the military. They don’t believe the teens are responsible enough to handle guns or drinking, but they sure as hell still want them joining the military.

2. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Strictly speaking, that 21 year old federal age limit only applies to purchases from FFLs. Federal law is silent on 18-20 year old possessing guns or acquiring them im private sales.

1. avatar Art out West says:

Correct. That is why Idahoans aged 18-20 have been able to open carry handguns. They can buy them private sale, or get them as gifts. That is fine with me.

My question is “Why does an FFL gun sale require age 21 or over, while shotguns and rifles don’t?”

Why are voting, legal consent, contract law, military, tobacco, rifles, and shotguns set at 18, while drinking and handguns are set at 21?

1. avatar Andrew Lewis says:

Because the universal age of adulthood used to be 21, but over the decades activist groups fought to lower it to 18 for specific activities. They just haven’t finished yet.

2. avatar On the can says:

Except drinking which used to be 18, and before that it was no age limit. And the military has been recruiting and drafting at 18 roughly since forever.

3. avatar TruthTellers says:

West Virigina will go permitless before Idaho.

1. avatar alex says:

Hopefully Ohio tries again this session and succeeds this time. Every preceding attempt has died in committee.

1. avatar TruthTellers says:

Not gonna happen in Ohio. Too many black residents, makes the ninny’s in the legislature scared at the mere thought of poor blacks carrying guns to defend themselves.

This is also why none of the southern states have permitless carry either.

4. avatar CRF says:

Well, perfect being the enemy of good and all that when it comes to the age thing. But if still like to have rights that a legal adult shoul have.

5. avatar Libertarian says:

It should not taken the rights from 18 -20 away.
    They should still carry unlicensed open too and should have an licensed ccw option.

6. avatar Wrightl3 says:

Good for Idaho. Hope this passes.

Does Idaho already have Constitutional Carry of potato guns?

8. avatar JP says:

Speaking as someone who is unlikely to ever live in Idaho and is currently 28 years old, I hope they go for it even if they have the 21 thing still in. Why? Because it’s still a step in the right direction. Some 18 year old can always sue to have that one thing removed later. Anything that constitutes a step in the right direction – on net balance – should be seriously considered, even if the drawback is something annoying like this.

1. avatar Baldwin says:

Cause old man rights are more important than a young man’s rights…

9. avatar Jim Bullock says:

I’m surprised this got reported. In The District of New York, every single county outside Greater Gotham voted to object to Proconsul Cuomo-the-Younger’s “Creating Legal Jeapordy for Peaceful Gun Owners” act. Which got exactly no play.

Indeed, the “local” press throughout the rest of the District mostly just reprints press releases from MinTru.

Well, it’s only a matter of time before Bloomie buys up the press, or at least access, to shut down the opposition. I look forward to the P R campaign agajnst “monay in politics” once he’s locked in.