Everyday Carry Pocket Dump of the Day: Stuart Campbell

156a4d5253cbb3

What does a geologist and PhD student carry with him every day? Well, a Taurus PT809e for one thing. Make the jump to Everyday Carry to see the details on what else Stuart Campbell, the South African doctor-to-be totes with him while he’s analyzing rocks and minerals.

comments

1. Got a link to make the jump?

1. You guys should do a bit on the carry laws in SA, they’re quite interesting as there is no CCW permit process. The permit to purchase and own allows countrywide carry.

2. avatar Cliff H says:

Dan, maybe I am being picky, but a lot of these pistols look a little large for “pocket carry”. Why are there no holsters included in these photos?

Perhaps because you are getting them from the Everyday carry site and they have not thought to include them?

1. avatar DarthLuke says:

I posted my EDC on that site , I seem to be the only one that bothered posting my holster, or maybe the carriers on there don’t feel holsters look cool enough to post?

2. avatar Matt says:

I hope you’re like 6’6 and love cargo pants, because I doubt that amount of raw shit distributes well over a normal sized human body.

Even the watch is oversized as hell. I know, because I have one.

1. avatar cwp says:

It’s not that bad. I’m only 6’3″-ish and scrawny, and I don’t have much trouble with a comparable set.

– Gun goes in an IWB holster, probably behind the right hip.
      – Knife goes in right front trouser pocket, at the edge closest to the hip.
      – Wallet (not pictured) goes in the right front trouser pocket.
      – Leatherman holster goes on belt just forward of the left hip. (I keep an AAA flashlight and a lighter in mine as well as the actual multitool).
      – Watch goes on wrist, obviously.
      – Phone goes in left front trouser pocket.
      – Car keys go either in hand, in coat pocket, or in right rear trouser pocket.
      – Notebook goes in left rear trouser pocket, probably. Shirt pocket would be convenient if you usually have one.

If I have a complaint, it’s that the car keys need a better spot. I’m thinking of getting a belt loop or something for them.

1. avatar Paul says:

I keep my wallet on my weak side, so as to be able to attack with my strong side if I’m robbed.

1. avatar Matt says:

I keep my wallet on whatever side squeezes my fat ass less, and if it gets stolen, joke’s on them– there’s nothing in there worth stealing, including my identity. also, i fart upon my wallet all the time.

2. avatar VSN says:

I used to do that, then switched to wallet on strong side and spare mag on weak side.

2. avatar Don from CT says:

so you carry a knife and a leatherman? Every day??

1. avatar cwp says:

Sure. Is that weird? I guess kind of. I am aware that the Leatherman has a knife blade, but I carry a folder as well despite that. Why? Because:

1) I carried a knife long before I started carrying a Leatherman; it’s just habit at this point.
          2) The knife blade in the Leatherman is fine for most cutting tasks, as far as it goes — but I find it awkward to deploy and don’t like the way it sits in my hand when using it in knife mode. To me it’s worth the very slight added inconvenience to feel confident in my cutting implement.
          3) It’s a fairly small, light knife — two and a half ounces, just over four inches closed. I’m not toting a Benchmade Adamas or a Spyderco Manix around with me every day.
          4) The knife was a present from the Missus.

2. avatar Don from CT says:

I agree. I half expect someone to have a microwave oven in their pocket.

My EDC consists of money, credit cards and a 2 1/2 inch knife in my right front pocket, a gun of some sorts in my left front pocket with a pocket holster and a watch. About 50% of the time a glock rides on my hip and the pocket gun goes in the safe. But that’s it. Gun, knife, cash, credit cards, licenses, watch.

Normal, eh?

3. avatar Arc says:

It either really bright out or the watch is dead…

4. avatar Glen greeff says:

A fellow saffa that carries. Good on you

5. avatar Jason says:

Love these Pocket Dump Posts. Is there any way to get the holsters/method of carry included in these dumps? Or are we to assume Mexican Carry?

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

It’s called concealed carry… 🙂

(If they want to share, they will…)

1. avatar Jason says:

Well… I see your point, I really do, BUT, and there is always a but, spilling your pockets all over the internet isn’t exactly a private affair. I am / was simply hoping that these posts might serve to illustrate holster / gun match-ups that people have found to work well so that we all might benefit from the shared experience.

Cheers!

6. avatar Hannibal says:

No Taurus hate yet eh?

7. avatar Curtis in IL says:

No wallet.
    He must be married.

1. avatar The Dude Abides says:

Well it is SA. He probably just got robbed and didn’t realize it.

8. avatar BillC says:

GPS for the win!

9. avatar Curtis in IL says:

I had to google “zam-buk.”
    I think any guy that carries an “Herbal Ointment” daily should turn in his man card.
    Just sayin.

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

Or hard work is getting the calluses on his hands ripped off and bloody. Happens to me a lot. Doc Spartan is my go to.

10. avatar Defens says:

A geologist without his hand lens is like a hunter without his rifle!

1. avatar John S says:

Rock hammer? Little bottle of HCl? Brunton compass?

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

The tools can vary with the type of geology…

11. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Must have huge pockets. Praytell are there lots of Taurus’ in S. Africa?