I Shot the SilencerCo Hybrid on a .45-70

IMG_3898

Lever guns practically demand to be silenced. The manual action means there’s no additional noise beyond the shot to contend with, something Nick found while building his .300 BLK SBR. Given their nimble handling and fairly fast loading, they’re great guns for multiple targets or stubborn animals that require a quick follow up shot. Silencing .45-70 represents a bit of an issue as the extra “oomph” of the venerable buffalo killer would overwhelm the pistol cans that have an aperture large enough to handle them. Enter SilencerCo’s Hybrid . . .

The Hybrid is rated for everything from 9mm up to .45-70 including the .338s. It will mount to your pistol of choice using the included pistol housing (piston sold separately), and to a rifle using a direct thread mount (5/8-24 mount included). Additional mounts will set you back $126.

The end cap is swappable as well using the included tool kit. Out of the box, the Hybrid comes with a .46 end cap, but you can purchase 5.56 and 9 mm end caps for $85. If you’d like to make sure you can mount your Hybrid to any pistol that crosses your path, SilencerCo is happy to sell you a Piston Kit that will cover your needs.

Shooting a big bore lever gun is fun, but shooting one with a can is extra delightful. The Hybrid runs $999 and should be available soon in stores near you.

comments

1. avatar Mustrum says:

I have a mould for 540gr TCRN GC slug that with a trail boss reload to a subsonic MV would be ideal in terns of a quiet gun with great knock down for something like Whitetail deer

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

Tyler, Tyler, Tyler…

Those…glasses…

Was the hangover worth it? What it did to your pride? 🙂

1. avatar Todgerkopf says:

No, it’s excellent thinking to get the LGBT community on board. Guns and gays we can call it. We have to be inclusive and diverse. We can no longer just be old, fat, white guys with guns. We’ve been working hard on purty colored guns for the lady folk, so the ground work is already done. Now just add some sequins and done. His glasses are his unique way of proudly demonstrating his sexual preference, and you should respect that, not ridicule it.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

” His glasses are his unique way of proudly demonstrating his sexual preference, and you should respect that, not ridicule it.”

You’re absolutely right. That was incredibly insensitive of me, especially at this tenuous time of his starting to blossom into his new-found freedom.

Tyler, I sincerely apologize. As a POTG, I should have been fully supporting you on your journey to become…

… to become… uhhhh…

Something. 🙂

2. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Don’t be jealous!

I’d like to rub it in though and say that, despite the missing rear sight on that gun, I [lucked out and] rang the steel silhouette that was out there at 75-100 yards anyway 😛 …well, 2 out of 4 times haha…

1. avatar Todgerkopf says:

Not sure what was louder, the poofty glasses or the rifle.

3. avatar Slingblade says:

Neat, but I thought ATF regulated silencer parts (baffles, end caps etc.) as if they are silencers. So, is a Form 4 required for each additional end cap?

I own a few commercial cans, and one that I designed and had a local Class II build for me. At that time, spare end caps or parts were a big no no. Has something changed?

1. avatar Randy Taylor says:

Manufacturers have been granted variances by the ATF lately. End caps and modular parts have been determined to not be spare parts. I don’t know the actual details though.

4. avatar James69 says:

Where do I start?……ah, nevermind.

5. avatar germanguy says:

Hm, a silencer on a lever gun? I think it looks really weird.
    Also how was aiming that thing?

1. avatar AR says:

I thought the same about suppressed 12 gauge scatter guns~~~technology( ain’t it great )!

2. avatar John P. says:

Before the NFA in 1934, a Maxim silencer on a lever gun wasn’t radical at all. Once the registration and $200 tax requirements kicked in on a $10 device attached to a $40 gun, the game was over.

6. avatar Chris T from KY says:

It’s about time. It has been over one hundred since president Theodore Roosevelt put a suppressor on his lever gun.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Got a link?

7. avatar John in Fayettenam says:

After reading the article i couldn’t help but think, what the hell are you hunting that would need a follow up shot from a 500 grain 45-70? This can would help tame that recoil though, might consider one of these for my 45-70 Einfield conversion.

1. avatar Sian says:

Sometimes, a big boar doesn’t quite admit right away when hes been well killed.

8. avatar El Duderino says:

I saw this and thought, “Why not a 92 in .45 Colt?” Lots more subsonic ammo lying around, though you’re not going to get a 500+ grain bullet into that case, so the .45-70 is going to have the advantage there.

Kind of a cowboy DeLisle carbine.

9. avatar tsbhoA.P.jr says:

has nick been told yet today?