Seekins Introduces small, light rail

IMG_3953

I’ve beat it to death here on TTAG and beyond, but I’ll say it once more. I have small hands. As it goes, a lot of AR hand guards, especially the quad rail variety, feel bulky and huge in my little hands. For the last year or so, I’ve been in love with a BCM KMR for my EDC AR for two reasons. First, it is light as all hell, and second, it is pleasantly svelte. As if they’d heard my tortured screams, Seekins has released the NOXs in an attempt to woo me away from my beloved KMR. I got the opportunity to fondle it for the better part of fifteen minutes at SHOT…

IMG_3956

Seekins new rail sports an outside diameter of 1.5″, an inside width of 1.3″ and comes in 9″, 12″, and 15″ lengths. M-Lok and Key Mod are both available and range in price from $159 for the shorties to $179 for the long version. The long version tips the scales at 11.8 oz, just a touch more than BCM’s KMR.

Mounting is accomplished through a cross slot, clamping mechanism that I favor quite a bit when used in various other applications. I’ve asked very nicely for one to beat on, and I got a flirty wink in return, so you should see a full review gracing these pages in the next few months.

comments

1. avatar James69 says:

Just got an PSA AR pistol (7.62×39) with the Odin Keymod rail. It has the MI rough texture panels on it. Shot 3-4 hours and it worked great no slip or wiggle and it’s smaller and lighter then the typical rail as well. Love it.

2. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

The flirty wink means they’re into it! Go in for the kiss! Seal the deal!

Regarding hand size, I have big hands and long fingers, but not a lot of extra flesh (I’m a piano man with piano hands). I find most things made for big handed individuals to be way too big. A standard A2 grip for example just feels enormous.

But GLOCKs I can get ’round just fine.

3. avatar M says:

Aaaaaaaand I’ve already got that rail on my first AR I built recently. It’s awesome!

4. avatar Brick Rivers says:

mmmmm…. KMR Alpha…

1. avatar Jon in CO says:

Yeap. All day long, this. They didn’t make the alpha when I bought my SLR Light rail. I love it, just for the in between lengths. 14″ in perfect for a 16″ bbl.

5. avatar Tom W. says:

Odin makes a great lightweight keymod rail. They also stretch to 18″ if length is your thingy. Put one on my son’s AR.

Good to see. My Frankenstein is due for a change.

6. avatar Rusty Chains says:

I am about to rebuild an AR with one of those quad rail monsters that I have hated since I bought that upper. That light rail and a lighter barrel might be just the ticket to a much more useful AR that won’t just sit in the safe.

7. avatar AndyT says:

Standard or proprietary barrel nut?

8. avatar Rusty Owen says:

Check out the new Centurion CMRs, too!

9. avatar Tex300BLK says:

How does it mount/time to the barrel nut?

10. avatar Redfoot says:

You should look into ALG Defense Rails in M-Lok. Inexpensive, lightweight, slim, reliable, barrel nut included with tool, and very easy to install.

That said, these look good as well, although I found with my Troy Alpha rail that the modularity can be a pain in the ass with removing the hand guard each time with want to tweak the rail position. With that said, it is rock solid once mounted.