ALG Introduces AK Recoil Spring

IMG_4072

ALG Defense has been slowly adding more SKUs to their lineup in the last year with a special eye towards AK owners. Late in 2015, they debuted a low cost AK trigger replacement, and the 2016 SHOT show saw them bring several new springs to the market. One of those is a new recoil spring designed as a drop-in replacement for the one that came from the factory . . .

From ALG’s website:

ALG AK recoil spring is a one of a kind design, it is manufactured from chrome silicon steel to resist impact shock and relaxation. The 2 to 3 dead coils in the center change the natural frequency of the spring, which prevents harmonics from damaging the spring and reducing its free length.

There’s a lot I don’t like about AKs, but I’ve never found myself hating on their recoil springs…probably because I’ve never shot one long enough to notice. If you have an AK with spring issues, ALG has the fix for what ails you, and at $12, it seems like a cheap fix.

comments

1. avatar Hawkeye says:

So, how about the FBI deadline of two hours ago for the Oregon protestors?

1. avatar MurrDog says:

But this spring replaces the spring that doesn’t wear out. Cash in hand, please.

1. avatar James69 says:

At least it’s not an AR Builder……… I bet you could not swing a dead cat at SHOT without hitting two AR Builders……

1. I think you’d need a especially patient cat after it hits the first one.

2. avatar Grognak the Barbarian says:

This is an article about springs.

1. avatar Felix says:

Hawkeye is springing up and down trying to get attention.

Hawkeye springs eternal.

It just sprung up.

1. avatar Sheepdog6 says:

The deadline has been moved to Spring.

2. avatar Ing says:

Ha! Best pun of the day.

2. avatar Bob says:

WE NEED ONE FOR SUPPRESSORS!!!!!

3. avatar GuyFromV says:

One of my old pistol springs was refurbished into an amazingly good 2 m/70 cm radio antenna with a bit of stretching, a tiny inductor and a dot of solder.

4. avatar All_is_fair says:

Brrrooooiiiiinnnngggggggggg

1. avatar Tyler Kee says:

I actually LOL’d this morning when I saw this comment. Thank you.

5. avatar jwtaylor says:

So, when I got interested in building my own AK, I noticed all of the better guns and better builders included things like “improved spring”…”upgraded spring…” and that’s what I got. But really, I have no idea how much, or if, it is any better than the original.
    That said, if you were trying to get the necessary parts number (9?) to fit a weapon otherwise illegal to import, a spring is a cheap part to swap out.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

There aren’t any springs on the list of 922(r) parts, though. You have to have 10 or less imported parts from this list of 20 specific parts: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/04/jeremy-s/922r-compliance-and-you/

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

Dang!

6. avatar Geoff PR says:

Is AK spring failure a thing?

1. avatar Vitsaus says:

Didn’t you hear? AKs can’t get mud on them anymore.

2. avatar Grognak the Barbarian says:

It is if your like this one guy I know that’s retarded and leaves his guns bolts locked to the rear at all times. He claims it’s the safe way to store them. I tell him he’s an idiot and he’s gonna F up all his springs. And yes even in guns like an AK where they don’t lock to the rear, he’ll put shit in the action to hold them open. Yeah. He also votes democrat.

7. avatar Zealot says:

File this one under “Solutions For Problems Nobody Has.”

8. avatar Hellbilly says:

Never had any spring issues in any of my three AKs, and I’ve had them all for a decade or more. They have many rounds through them. But, being that I like ALG Defense, if I ever do have to replace an AK recoil spring 20 or 30 years from now I will consider using their offering.

1. avatar Xanderbach says:

Yeah… I have 2 Aks, each with a few thousand rounds through them, built off of parts kits, each of which was in “good” condition. So they had thousands of rounds through them before I even got the parts. Never had an issue with that spring. Anyone know what parts actually fail on an AK? I have heard of firing pins breaking, and receivers cracking in extreme cases… But never ever a recoil spring. Hell, even with the ones where the receiver cracked, they just popped the parts in a new receiver.

9. avatar Kylednf says:

I have a polish AK that I built from a parts kit. I bought this to replace my spring. The recoil spring in some kits do come worn out occasionally.
    In my case, I was having wild case ejections and noticeable damage to the rear trunnion from the bolt carrier slamming against it.