“Self defense experts C.M. Griffin and Cheryl stopped the studio this morning to teach women’s self defense!” fox19.com announces in the breathless bubble-headed bleach blond style so popular amongst caffeinating TV viewers. As part of the post-game internet action, the station offers “some helpful tips from attackproof.com.” Here’s the list. What’s missing?
1. Look where you’re going. Check out the gas station, ATM, 7-Eleven etc. before you pull up/go in.
2. Pay attention: Turn off your iPod/iPhone etc. when out in public. Don’t jog with earphones.
3. Maintain a personal comfort zone: No stranger or hostile relation is allowed to get closer than 5 feet to you without vetting or permission.
4. Walk wide around building corners: Don’t get jumped.
5. React: Practice a high speed flinch response in the event you’re surprised by a sound, movement or touch.
6. Watch your drink: Someone could slip a drug in your cocktail.
7. Don’t let strangers in: Always call 911 if an intruder is trying to break in your home.
8. Flat tire in a bad neighborhood? Drive on your rims. New wheels are a small price to pay for avoiding a violent car jacking.
9. Someone gives you a bad feeling? as you walk down a street? Use an alternate route.
10. You’re being mugged for your money: Don’t fish around in your purse/wallet for bills. Be cooperative. Give them your whole wallet (prepare a separate “mugging” wallet with a few dollars).
I’m not 100 percent on that separate but hopefully unequal “mugging wallet” idea. That seems particularly defeatist. By rewarding criminal behavior the practice encourages it. Then again… clever! Throw your wallet at them and run! Or attack!
Yeah, where’s that bit? While the folks at attackproof.com are all about the counter — judging by their video at the top of this post — the Fox affiliate left counterattacking on the table. Wrong answer. Wake up and smell the coffee guys.