New from Springfield Armory: XD-S .40SW

Springfield XDS .40

“Practice is everything,” Springfield Armory asserts, “so rather than go for uncomfortably and uncontrollably small, we aimed to create a handgun that’s easy and pleasurable to shoot while still offering amazing concealment.” I think that’s a fair description of the XD-S — when applied to the 3.3″ 9mm version. It’s not quite as true for the .45 caliber XD-S, but then you’d hardly expect 1911-level comfort from a concealable .45. The new .40? The jury is both skeptical and out. As far as capacity is concerned . . .

Like the originals, the new XD-S® .40SW comes with both flush (six-round) and Mid-Mag (seven-round) magazines, so capacity of the new .40SW model sits right between that of the 9MM and .45ACP XD-S®.

As you’d expect. And we’d expect the XD-S .40SW to be a snappy little bastard that rewards practice like Michal Idan rewards an obvious pick-up line. But we’re willing to give it a go (either way). And wonder how it (the XD-S) would feel in 10mm. Yowzir!

Click here to check out more Springfield pre-SHOT show reveals. FWIW TTAG will have no less than seven of our best writers at the annual industry event.

comments

1. avatar Fred Frendly says:

Too bad its not in the 9MM Magnum Express cartridge. 40SW is just too weak.

2. avatar SAS 2008 says:

No thanks. I have the XDs 9 and it shoots fine. The 40 will be painful. I also have the XD subcompact in 40 and it is pretty snappy. The XDs in 40 is about 3 ounces less in weight than the double stack XD and the narrower grip will put all that energy in a smaller space on your hand.

1. avatar NYC2AZ says:

Same. My 9mm XD-s is my edc during the summer months. I like the design and it shots well for me, but others I have shot with have complaned it’s a bit snappy for them over the similar-sized Shield. I can’t imagine the .45 or .40 being a good “practice with what you carry” gun. To each their own.

1. avatar Mike says:

I have a Shield in .40 and although it isn’t my most comfortable-to-shoot pistol, it’s not too bad considering the size. I practice with it every time I go shooting and truth be told, I get more tired of reloading the 3 mags I have than I am of the recoil. I really need to pick up a few extra mags for it.

3. avatar Biff Baxter says:

My wrist hurts just looking at it.

1. avatar jack jones says:

dont be a wimp!!!!!!!!!

4. avatar Rokurota says:

Crybabies! Send me dat .40. I’ll shoot a crate through it, byotches!

5. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Though I’m not a fan of the XD series, I’m glad to see this is a consideration and a talking point. At times and with certain manufacturers, there seems to be too much thought on carrying and too little thought on shooting.

1. avatar Stuki Moi says:

It’s a bit of a double edged sword. All the practice in the world matters little, if the one time you need the darned gun, it sits at home for being too cumbersome to carry.

Buying into a “line” of guns that span the space from G19 to G42 (and an LCP sized .32acp G44….) so that there is decent carryover to the others (or at least minimal negative carryover) regardless of which one you practice with, makes some sense. DA revolvers from snubby to Grizzly slayer is another such “line”. As are 1911 pattern guns. And possibly Sig’s DAK/DAO’s combined with the more-similar-feeling-than-one-would-think kahrs. Or DASAs from Sigs/CZs to PPKs and Bersas.

6. avatar dph says:

I will still take my XDM compact .45, shoots nice and it’s a Red Riding Hood gun, not too big and not too small, it’s just right.

1. avatar BillC says:

That’s Goldilocks, not Red Riding Hood.

1. avatar dph says:

I’m still going with Red Riding Hood because it’s got big teeth, but you’re right, I mixed up the fairy tales.

2. avatar tdiianva (Now in Wisconsin) says:

+1. Except mine is a 9mm. From a dimensional standpoint the XD/m compact has the perfect tradeoff between barrel, length, size and capacity. I was never interested in the XD/s because it lacked capacity.

7. avatar Tim U says:

I’d give it a try. I expect it’d be pretty snappy but can’t be worse than my Shield .40

8. avatar RandallOfLegend says:

My experience with the CM40 has taught me that I don’t want to shoot it that often. It feels like lighting off a 357 magnum out of my 4″ k-frame revolver, but with the force spread over a smaller part of your hand.

as an aside, the 40 works well ballistically out of a 3 inch barrel

9. avatar Bob301 says:

I have the XDS in .45. I have always had an issue with it not going into battery 100% of the time no matter the ammunition I used or how rigid the stance. This was true even after I replaced the recoil sprint with a stronger spring. I like the gun, but unfortunately, it does not meet my threshold for reliability for a carry gun. Hopefully, this is not the case with the .40 caliber.

1. avatar RandallOfLegend says:

Sounds like you should have sent it back to Springfield for a look.

2. avatar Joseph says:

My buddy has the XDS 45 and it has never malfunctioned, and we go to the range frequently. Yes, you should send it back to Springfield.

3. avatar Tom Collins says:

Remove the polymer insert from inside the extractor spring and it will work much better…

1. avatar Bob321 says:

That sounds like the best idea I have heard yet. I have known that the issue had been because of the extractor being too tight which seemed to sometimes prevent the case from seating properly. A lot of people had this same problem back a few years ago, and sent their guns back to Springfield only to be told it works as designed. Again, knew it was the extractor’s death grip, but did not know there was what sounds like an easy fix. I will give it a try.

4. avatar Curt85 says:

I had the same problem with my XDs45, plus some feed problems. I sent it back to Springfield 3x before it would operate reliably. However, I never could shoot it very accurately, just too much recoil for me I guess. I really like the size and am thinking about getting the XDs40. I already have a Kahr PM9 so I don’t need another small 9.

10. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Well I had a Taurus Millenium pro in 40 and I wondered where all the “snappy”was-didn’t notice more recoil. Not much bigger than THIS(not a big fan of Springfield).

11. avatar Bob H says:

I am intrigued by a svelte carry gun in a “big boy” caliber…(XDS 45 aside) I suppose its the same part of my subconscious that loves the idea of a P239 in 357 sig. Im sure it wont be the most comfortable to shoot piece, but no denying the ballistics.

12. avatar foo dog says:

Now that Shooting the Bull has proven so many good 9MM loads exist, I dont see the point of .40 in anything you would CCW, frankly, unless you are just so comfortable that its a non-issue.

I’d be interested in hearing from anyone that went from extensive experience with the G23 to the XDM in 9.
    The only advantage to .40 was it was the last to disappear from the shelf in the last shortage.

13. avatar Big Jim says:

Love the .40 and all the other calibers but .40 is a sledgehammer and no matter what a block of gel shows,physics will always prove that .40 caliber ammo will always pack more punch than 9mm. Same tech used for modern 9mm ammo is being used for .40 and .45 ammo. Quit crying,man up and just shoot the damm round or just put your gun in your purse and be happy.

14. avatar Dan says:

Wonder if Glock’s next single stack will be a beefed up G-43 in .40 S&W. The G-27 is nice, but pretty thick for IWB carry for me.

15. avatar Dan says:

If they “beef up” the G43, it would be close to the thickness of the G27’s slide. The only problem I have with my G27 is the thick square grip. Seriously considering replacing it with this XDs because I like the grip safety for appendix carry. Too bad there aren’t the extended mag options that are available for most double stacks.

16. avatar Dean Jones says:

I carry the xds 40 everday, great shooter. I am 72 yrs old retired military and retired LEO ,the 40 is not too much for me. Been carrying ccw for 20 Yrs, , My wife shoots the 40 but carries a .38 S&W model 642. So who is complaining? Man up young folks or get yourself a .380 purse pistol.

17. avatar Jim says:

I bought the 40 XDS the middle of March, i have the 9MM . Took the 40 to the range shot 250 rds thru it , my wife shot it about 50 rounds and likes it. She has her concealed permit and she has been know to take the 40 in her purse. Not as bad as people thinks with recoil, if my wife of 5′ 5 and 145 lbs can shoot it anyone can. She shoots my Glock 27 also but dont like it as much as the XDS.

18. avatar JD says:

My edc went from Glock 26 to a SA XDS 40 S&W , luv this pistol shoots great not a wrist breaker. Sold my 26 at gun show bought the XDS 9. Both are nice.

1. avatar Chris says:

I just did the same thing this weekend I sold my gen 3 26 at one show,went the next day to another and the xds .40 was just calling my name there

19. avatar Jon Wright says:

I had the 9 and it was pleasant to shoot but had to have the 45. So I traded for one and wow…night and day difference in recoil. I really had to grip it tight..very tight. However it is very accurate. The one I traded for has the powder river spring kit in it and the trigger is at 5 lbs. Very nice. Still not plesant to shoot and will trade it off soon. Keep your 9 and forget the rest. Just my opinion and other younger hands will varry. I do like the way it carries however. Better than the glock 26.

20. avatar Kevin says:

I love my xds 40. The 45 was a bit rough on the hands but the 40 is perfecr imo. Also my wife shoots it on the reg and she is 120lbs wet and wearing boots. Anyone have experience with the mod 2 series in 9mm or 40? Been eyeing them hard and getting ready to pull the trigger.

21. avatar Javed ShH says:

Write its cost and how would you dispatch it here to me? While my home address is:

Javed Shah s/o Jannat Shah, Mahallah Faqir Gul Thall City, District Hangu, KPK. Pakistan. Contact No. 0335-916 92 55.

22. avatar Javed ShH says:

Sometime my Email does not work properly, that’s why I wrote postal address.
    If I intended to buy pistol 40 or some one else, I hope shipping ll be free.
    I also try that could I prepare some people for business level your products?

23. avatar Javed Shah "Sir" says:

Sometime my Email does not work properly, that’s why I wrote postal address.
    If I intended to buy pistol 40 or some one else, I hope shipping ll be free.
    I also try that could I prepare some people for business level your products?