Circle of safety at UT (courtesy insidehighered.com)

Although I’m a Tufts grad, I’m not particularly intelligent. So I couldn’t make head nor tails of this [via insidehighered.com]: “Chanting, ‘Gun-free UT. Make it safe for you and me,’ and, ‘Guns are not a teaching tool. They do not belong in school,’ more than 200 attendees at the Modern Language Association’s annual meeting marched to the Texas Capitol Friday to protest the state’s new ‘campus carry’ law.” How would banning legally held guns make UT safer? Also, beer isn’t a teaching tool either. Why do suds belong in school? Anyway, here’s the 411 on the image above . . .

After the speeches, attendees streamed out of the hotel and marched eight blocks on Congress Avenue to reach the Capitol and then marched to the entry for more speeches.

At the Capitol, protest organizers made a circle of books to create what they called “a circle of safety” that should exist in classrooms where literature is discussed.

I’m sure that the survivors of the Virginia Tech massacre would agree that a “circle of safety” should exist in classrooms, protecting students from harm, no matter what’s being taught. If they thought about it, I’m sure they’d realize that gun control laws can no more create this circular “safe space” than a poorly constructed ring of books.

To quote the great philosopher Wayne LaPierre, the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. To which I would humbly add that, short of death, the only thing that stops a bad guy from getting a gun is incarceration. And sometimes not even that.

[h/t James]

comments

1. avatar Mike Crognale says:

My first thought was that this alluded to Obozo’s comment about it being easier to buy a gun than a book.

I think he meant that there are places in the US where it’s easier to buy a gun than read a book.

1. avatar Mike Crognale says:

OK, makes sense to me. LOL

2. avatar Big Jim says:

What I think I counted a whole 25 people there Wow what a turn out.

3. avatar BDub says:

Protests and demonstrations aren’t teaching tools either. Why do we allow them on …oh wait, that’s right, they are Constitutionally protected Rights!

1. avatar Dave says:

But… But… Can’t we chip away at them bit by bit? Pass laws that tell them where & when they can organize? Maybe limit their protests to 10 members or less?

1. avatar Tim Going says:

Nobody needs 10 protesters. If you can’t get your point across with 7 protesters than you need to get more training.

4. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Every time I think academics have reached the pinnacle of silliness and irrational behavior, they prove me wrong.

That’s where you and I disagree. I never think that academics have reached the pinnacle of silliness.

1. avatar B says:

Millions of dollars are poured into colleges annually trying to find the apex of silliness. I really had my money on shrimp treadmill, but just like powerball I always lose that bet.

2. avatar All_is_fair says:

“Unless you graduate with a science/business degree you most likely will be dumber after four years of college. If you get a post-grad degree, not only are you dumb but now you’re also dangerous.”

Dennis Prager

1. avatar george from fort worth says:

but you are more seriously certificated as dangerous. add creds among the mush-brained.

5. avatar AnhydrousWater says:

A circle of safety. What the….. I feel like im in a kindergarten class when dealing with these people. Christ sakes.

1. avatar BDub says:

Actually, I think Kindergartners would know that an effective safety-fort would need a lot more books, stacked much much higher, perhaps even with a sheet for a roof.

1. avatar AnhydrousWater says:

Maybe i’m thinking of the “special” kindergarten class then.

2. avatar William says:

They just built it wrong. “Circles of safety” work really well when it’s made of Claymore mines…

3. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Sounds about right. In kindergarten today, boys and girls are being referred to as “purple penguins” to blur distinctions between the genders. They’re being taught to sit “crisscross apple sauce”, instead of Indian style, so as not to offend people who aren’t even offended.

Only makes sense they’d fabricate silly circles of safety and teach kids that’s sufficient to ensure their actual safety.

1. avatar barnbwt says:

“Criss cross applesauce” is a cultural appropriation of Cockney rhyming slang; highly offensive, like limericks.

4. avatar dh34 says:

Maybe is a Dungeons and Dragons thing….A 20 level wizard, using a 20 sided die, can cast a circle of safety spell…

Because one thing’s for sure…hokey rings of books and a zone without weapons is no match for a good firearm at your side…

6. avatar Mk10108 says:

“To which I would humbly add that, short of death, the only thing that stops a bad guy from getting a gun is incarceration”.

You have the VP saying we’re not going to prosecute people who mark the wrong box on a form. Judges refusing to send criminals to jails, not because the hope of reform but the expediency of reducing cost while shifting the burden upon citizens.

If students would inform themselves about legislators making laws and administrators circumventing their 1st, 2nd & 4th amendment rights, perhaps their efforts would be noteworthy.

7. avatar Sam I Am says:

When you have no responsibilities to society, when you have no skills with which to support yourself, when you tire of living at home with Mom’s rules, when you want to delay life as long as possible, you go to university; then you stay as long as you can scam the system. When you are at college, you do whatever you think you are allowed to get away with because you are special (you are a college sutdent !) When you have little understanding of the human condition, when you believe “educated” people are superior, when you believe “you don’t criticize me, I won’t criticize you” is a viable life choice, when you hope to never grow up, you become a progressive. When the world finally crushes in on you, you flee school (graduate, or not) and run home to live in the house with Mom’s rules (and money).

Stop ! I have multiple undergraduate and graduate degrees, am self-supporting (since 16), have college-trained skills, military and life skills. Been there; done that. Gave all the T-shirts to Goodwill.

8. avatar Chip Bennett says:

If books can create a “circle of safety”, how were those students shot inside a library at UCF, by yet-another-nutjob?

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

Anti-gunners believe that if people are in schools, they have a right to be safe from law-abiding people with guns. They do not believe true evil will find them, only good guys with a gun who instantly, for no reason, become bad guys with a gun.

2. avatar LifeAbounds says:

…it was at FSU.
      The first shots were in the library, continuing outside…

“Guns are not a teaching tool. They do not belong in school,”

“I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam-I-Am.”

The protesters show their maturity by riffing on Dr. Seuss and displaying their collection of Little Golden Books.

Yup, those degrees in Gender Studies and Intermediate Basket Weaving will take those clowns far.

1. avatar SouthernPhantom says:

Those of us with actual, worthwhile careers can feel a smug sense of satisfaction when these little special snowflakes are still working at Starbucks when in their thirties.

2. avatar Nick says:

Well, at least basket weaving is a practical skill. Maybe they could get a job on an assembly line. Gender studies however… It makes me think some professors were sitting around thinking, how can we come up with a class where we just make it up as we go along?

When I was in law school, there were two poorly attended electives called “Women and the Law” and “Drugs and the Law.” I suggested to the Dean that he combine the two and offer a course in “Women and Drugs.” There wouldn’t be an empty seat.

2. avatar Sam I Am says:

Uuuuummmmmm…like, you know, wow, totally it has been that way since Nixon’s time.

3. avatar DetroitMan says:

I think Gender Studies came from administrators who were sitting around thinking “How can we add another required course for every undergrad in order to maximize their tuition costs?”

3. avatar Special K says:

You are being unfair. Those were professors. I’m sure many of them were advanced basket weavers.

10. avatar Rokurota says:

I hope no books that argue for liberty, preach the inherent evil of man, or feature arms used in defense of justice are in that circle. A short, from-memory list would include:
    Leviathan
    On Liberty
    The Deerslayer
    Treasure Island
    Doctor Zhivago
    1984
    Brave New World
    Night (Elie Wiesel)
    To Live (Yu Hua)

11. avatar Anonymous says:

Weirdos.

Guns are not a teaching tool. They do not belong in school.

Shoes and pants aren’t a teaching tool either. But it’s probably a good idea to take them to school. This anti-gun garbage at UT is nonsense. Conceal carry has been allowed on campus for a long time. It is being extended in a few other locations. Make no mistake, if a student wanted you dead they could make that happen regardless of the legalities of carrying a firearm (and the fact that murder is illegal), the only difference is that now you can equip yourself defensively if you so choose.

1. avatar Mk10108 says:

“Guns are not a teaching tool. They do not belong in school.”

Guns are the most useful tool for teachable moments. Without guns this country would not exist. Without guns slavery would exist. Without guns Europe today would not exist. Without guns lawful self protection would not exist.

All teachable moments throughout history.

12. avatar Somebody says:

What I find scary is that there is a significant segment of the population who are being brainwashed to demonize the very tools that keep them free. What is worse is that they are more than willing to crucify the people who sacrifice to wield those tools.

Some have a very rude awakening in store, someday…

1. avatar SouthernPhantom says:

It will come, and I don’t really plan on lifting a finger to help this type of “useful idiot”.

2. avatar John says:

Yes, they do. And, without regard for facts, logic or evidence, they’ll blame you. At the very least, they won’t believe that their decisions had any bearing on the situation in which they find themselves.

3. avatar Fred says:

I always find that quite fascinating. Without independently seeking out the facts and truth of the matter these people “know everything” based on soundbytes and taglines. What is the school teaching these people if they can’t even do a simple google search to find a reputable source (aka something not owned by Bloomberg).

I keep seeing the same myths and lies pop up, like:
      40% of sales use the gunshow loophole.
      Online Sales don’t run background checks.
      You’re more likely to be injured or killed with your own gun.
      It’s harder to buy a book than a gun.
      Guns should be regulated like cars (guns aren’t regulated).
      The gun lobby controls the country/politicians.
      Australia/the UK/XYZ country is safer/has less crime/XYZ.
      and on and on and on.

13. avatar Hello World says:

A Tufts grad?! That explains everything!

I couldn’t figure out what the elephant in the room was until now. 🙂

14. avatar Lurker_of_lurkiness says:

Modern Language Association

You mean the folks who made the crappy MLA citation format? Screw those folks!

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

I’ve always thought of the MLA as a bunch of people who were too lazy to use footnotes. I’ve not seen anything out of them since their first guide that has proven otherwise…

1. avatar PerplexedPistolero says:

Actually, I rather enjoy reading footnotes and prefer them to end notes. Particularly when reading non-fiction.

15. avatar Libertarian says:

http://www.isra.org/Portals/6/ISRA%20Images/Home%20Page/A-iGoldDemonstration.jpg Says all if you look how “many” anti gunner can bring and how mutch want liberty 🙂

1. avatar TXGal says:

NOW, that’s a good turn out!!!

16. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

“At the Capitol, protest organizers made a circle of books to create what they called ‘a circle of safety’ that should exist in classrooms…”

In all fairness, thick stacks of college text books should make pretty decent cover and a fairly solid firing position.

17. avatar Toasty says:

“This is why is use Chicago citations. Screw MLA.”

1. Toasty, January 10, 2016 (7:15 p.m.), comment on TTAG, “
    Incendiary Image of the Day: Modern Language Association’s Anti-Campus Carry March at UT” The Truth About Guns, January 10, 2016, http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/01/robert-farago/incendiary-image-of-the-day-modern-language-associations-anti-campus-carry-march-at-ut/

18. avatar Vv ind says:

Id be shopping for my next semester’s textbooks in that circle. You seen the price of textbooks lately?

19. avatar PNG says:

“Circles of safety”? Stupid rhymes? I think I’m dumber having seen that?

20. avatar JoeVK says:

When my brother and I were kids, while playing in the backyard he would announce that he had a “force field” around him, and that nothing could penetrate it and hurt him. Being the older brother, I was obligated to prove him wrong. This “Circle of Safety” is pretty much the same thing as my brother’s force field.

However, after being on the receiving end of a few tackles, my brother wisely invented a portable force field, and later, a force field that whisked him away to an impenetrable fortress called “mom”. I wonder if this “Circle of Safety” has the same capabilities…

21. avatar Bob321 says:

You know, if they really were serious about wanting a “safe space”, a place devoid of guns and opposing views, there is really only one place where that is possible: Prison.