BREAKING: 5 Shot, 2 Dead at Seattle Homeless Camp

“At least five people were reported shot near a homeless encampment in Seattle late Tuesday, and at least one gunman was still at large,” foxnews.com reports. “The shooting took place at around 7:30 p.m. local time, as Seattle Mayor Ed Murray was due to give an address on the issue of homelessness in the city. The shooting occurred near an area of Seattle known as The Jungle. It is a wilderness area known for multiple homeless encampments and criminal activity, including several murders in recent years.” kirotv.com reports that “two people have died and three others were seriously injured. Two possible shooters are at large.” More details as they emerge. [h/t DrVino]

comments

1. avatar Special K says:

What a crazy couple of hours in the Pacific Northwest…

2. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

This sucks, and I feel for the victims. No need for the fake active shooting in California today with all this headline violence giving the anti types more bloody shirts.

3. avatar Stoopid1 says:

It scares me to think … This could be the start.

1. avatar Matt in Maine says:

Don’t be stupid.

2. avatar Tile floor says:

Of what

1. avatar Swarf says:

Of the Homeless Rebellion, silly! It’s super likely.

4. avatar TheOtherDavid says:

I’m a native of the area. Politically the Californication of the landscape frightens me – Seattle as the fastest growing major city in America, the overwhelming majority coming from California, the tech boom, the real estate market going crazy, a texting BMW or Range Rover driver at every intersection…but what has escaped the headlines outside of the local area is the homeless population. I’ve never seen such an explosion in the number of homeless, and the number of homeless encampments on every square foot of public land in the city.

The City Council just passed their vaunted “gun and ammo tax” because of the “epidemic” of gun violence in Seattle…but a lot of the folks that work for the City government have to walk carefully around the puddles of vomit and feces to get to their glass-walled office building.

Talk about a once-great city with its values totally upside-down.

1. avatar Swarf says:

Completely upside down.

I live in the South end and commute downtown for work. Every route I take has numerous homeless encampments, sketchy rows of run down RV’s, trash piles.

I am sympathetic to the homeless and the problems that happen in people’s lives that cause them end up homeless, but there are some seriously dangerous predators out there amongst the plain old “down on their luck” or “on the losing end of a substance abuse struggle” folks. As evidenced by this incident and others that don’t make national news.

This kind of stuff is going to keep happening, and it’s going to get worse as the divide between rich and poor grows. Californians.

On another note: wow, that ammo tax! I wish I was surprised the city council would do something that short-sighted, poorly conceived and blatantly punitive, but… here we are.

I keep meaning to stop by and ask, but I wonder what Outdoor Emporium is going do do. Move to my neighborhood, I hope. But they will probably go North to Shoreline.

1. avatar Brian in Seattle says:

The south end already has plenty of places to get ammo. Shoreline doesn’t have diddly. Maybe they could take over the space Sears is in. That would be awesome.

1. avatar Swarf says:

Hush up, you. They should move to Burien, and that’s settled.

2. avatar Mark Lloyd says:

Drive over the mountains and come to Spokane. Bums everywhere . We have a nice river and wherever you go, you got bum encampments. They make horrible smelly messes of garbage, feces, used needles and condoms, It’s just horrible. Besides the litter and feces, they destroy the parks and cut down trees and light fires.
        Virtually every bum has substance abuse and or mental health issues.

1. avatar Swarf says:

Ha ha, Spokane, good one!

2. avatar T-DOG says:

The tarps are bluest in Freeattle.

5. avatar MurrDog says:

Time to overthrow those oppressive….homeless.

1. avatar JasonM says:

The mayor specifically told the cops to not impede the homeless in Seattle a few years ago. My progressive friends and acquaintances are even starting to complain about the homeless and the crime.
      The homeless problem is one of the reasons I moved across the lake to Bellevue. That and I’m only half a mile from the gun range. 😀

6. avatar Geoff PR says:

“The shooting occurred near an area of Seattle known as The Jungle.”

“You know where you are? You’re in The Jungle, baby! You’re gonna die!”

7. avatar Vv ind says:

Climate change, Thanks Al gore

1. avatar SD3 says:

‘Zactly…..science n’ shit……

1. avatar James69 says:

and Magnets. How do they work?

1. avatar Swarf says:

The ICP’s understanding of magnets IS analogous to many people on this site’s understanding of climate change. Excellent point.

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

I think lots of folks here have a pretty good grip on climate change. Lots of money to be made there, if you’re tight with the right government agencies!

8. avatar Brian in Seattle says:

I live and work in the NW part of Seattle called Ballard. Across the street from my workplace is a designated temporary parking area for the homeless heroin dealers in RV’s. This is supposed to last a month while a more permanent site is prepared. We feel so honored to host them. The area given over to the RV’s is for their use only. There are dumpsters and Porta Potties for them. There is a police dept fund to help them with vehicle repairs and licensing. I find syringes every day. This city has no direction anymore, just mindless kneejerk liberalism. Combine it with the ridiculous traffic, the tunnel project boondoggle, other endless construction projects, rising taxes and of course, rabid anti-gunners running the whole thing and you get Paradise Lost. This was once a pretty cool place to live, now I can’t wait to get the hell out. The only good thing is how much home values are rising. If the economy could hold on for 2 more years, my humble little house will be worth a stupid amount of money that some overpaid 30 year old from Amazon will happily pay. And I will move east of the mountains, where I belong.

1. avatar JasonM says:

The parking on 14th near Market is full of homeless RVs that look like a cross between an episode of Hoarders and an episode of Breaking Bad.

1. avatar Brian in Seattle says:

A lot of the pickups full of metal junk belong to the guy that lives in the house behind the Pea Patch on 14th. He plays cat and mouse moving his vehicles to keep them from getting towed. His house looks like a junkyard. Very old Ballard. He is sitting on a fairly valuable property, as is evidenced by the condos going up next door. He can’t last much longer. I work at the end of 14th, next to the boat ramp. We have had dirtbags camped out down here for years.

1. avatar LordGopu says:

Did someone detonate an EMP over Seattle when I wasn’t paying attention? All I can think of when I hear about the homeless and RVs is Dark Angel.

2. avatar T-DOG says:

The problem with moving to eastern Washington is the Seattle vote still affects you as I-594 proved once again. Eastern Washington really needs to be made another state.

3. avatar CarlosT says:

Yeah, Ballard’s ridiculous. Nice, upscale apartments right next to scuzzy RVs permanently parked or empty buildings with people sleeping in the doorways. But it’s expensive to get guns and ammo, and they’re trying to kill state preemption, so we’ll all be perfectly safe soon.

9. avatar CRF says:

Western Kentucky is a pretty free place to be if you care to change to a more rural setting. I’m sure you could find enough land for a little range without annoying neighbors too.

10. avatar Southern Cross says:

The cynical side of me wonders if someone was trying to stop the slide in property values caused by the homeless population.

Otherwise a dispute between dealers or dealers and users.

1. avatar James69 says:

I’m with the -trying to stop the slide in property values caused by the homeless population. Cause $$$ “trumps” feelings. In my view this is the prime mover for just about every action or lack of action done by the powers that be. But look on the brightside, weed is legal! The City of Seattle should be rolling in cash now add the Ammo tax and it should be the Emerald City in to time.

I think we have a mission for Michael Picard.

11. avatar C.Rogers says:

Crime? In a lib-controlled metropolitan area?
    Say it ain’t so!

12. avatar FortWorthColtGuy says:

Thankfully the City of Seattle has a tax on the sale of guns and ammunition to pay for all of this! I’m fairly sure that without the tax this would be happening every night. But now the city has an unlimited source of funds to simply give out for gun violence “prevention”.

#Sarcasm

1. avatar Brian in Seattle says:

I will be putting this on the Seattle Times opinion page. You will be credited. Brilliant.

13. avatar Chip in Florida says:

If only the law makers could pass a law making murder illegal.

14. avatar AnhydrousWater says:

Well thank God for Seattle’s new gun violence tax.

15. avatar Wrightl3 says:

Will pray for the victims. I hope that they catch the shooter. That good old gun violence tax really seems to be working. /sarc

16. avatar James69 says:

This is prob a non-PC thing but this is what they do in my neck of the woods. The Sheriff or Trooper upon contacting a “homeless” person ID’s them,checks for warrants if none are found loads said person into the patrol car, drives them to the county or state line and dumps them out. I mean….. helps them along, giving caring pleasant words of encouragement to help turn their lives around. Just doing our part to make a more peaceful, loving world.

Free bus trips to Cali?