Sword International Mk-18 Mod 0

Courtesy Joe Grine

S.W.O.R.D. International has been getting a lot of attention from military units worldwide because of its MK 18 Mod 0 semi-automatic gas-piston rifle chambered in .338 Lapua. What makes this rifle so attractive is that it offers the reach of the .338 Lapua round with AR ergonomics in a package that weighs in at only 13 pounds. While not necessarily “new” per se, the Mk 18 Mod 0 is still one of the most impressive things I saw at SHOT Show this year . . .

Courtesy Joe Grine

The Mk-18 Mod 0 Mjölnir features a 22-inch barrel,  matched 7075-T6 upper and lower receiver, a full-length free-floating KeyMod rail, and a non-reciprocating side charging handle.  I spoke to SWORD VP Garrett Schwindel about this rifle, and he stated that this platform with provide 1/2 MOA accuracy.

Operating System: Short Stroke Gas Piston System

Caliber: .338LM

Weight: 12.25lbs W/O Magazine, 13.25lbs W/ Unloaded Magazine

Length: 45″ Muzzle to end of stock

Height: 8″ Top of upper receiver to bottom of pistol grip

Coatings: Milspec Type 3 Hardcoat Anodize- Black SWORD Custom Cerakote- Assaulter Grey, Regnar Green, Battle Brown

MSRP: $6,995.00 US

SWORD Intl has developed an impressive line-up of AR style rifles covering 5.56 x45, .300 Blackout, .308 Win, .300 Win Mag, and .338 Lapua.   These rifles have some unique features that set them apart from the typical AR manufacturer,  including ambidextrous bolt catches / releases, flared magazine wells, and similar features.  Many of the employees have a background in the U.S. special operations community, so these are rifles built by shooters who know what it takes to make a great rifle.  I was lucky enough to take a 2-day course offered by SWORD, and it was worth every penny.

Courtesy Joe Grine

Courtesy Joe Grine

comments

1. avatar CRF says:

It’s called sword yet the rifle is named after a hammer…

1. avatar Mike Stevens says:

Seriously?…. Special Warfare Operations Research and Development (SWORD). There is a wonderful world-changing invention that came to us in your lifetime called an internet search engine. It has come with many names over many decades: webcrawler, yahoo and now this thing called google. I high recommend you familiarize yourself with it. Learn .. then speak.

Yes.. it’s a riffle named after a hammer… named by a company called Special Warfare Operations Research and Development (S.W.O.R.D). Dots included to make things obvious.

1. avatar Ed9339 says:

Take a deep breath Mike.

2. avatar Simon says:

Looks like an M-Lock rail to me.

1. avatar Joe Grine says:

I think they come in both M-LOK and KeyMod options.

3. avatar Kapeltam says:

I’d love to have one, but it costs more than my truck. Can’t justify spending that much.

4. avatar Tile floor says:

“Aw hell, let’s go nuts. Swords for $48000.”

5. avatar Big Jim says:

Yeah I have to say that’s a little overpriced, That’s Uncle Sam’s money though Which in turn is really ar but those are Uncle Sam’s prices We need to knock that down to about 4700 bucks For civilian populace use in purchase. I wonder how it stacks up against the Nero in 300 WSM. I fired the Nero when it first came out And it kicked less than my patrol rifle in 5.56 NATO That’s a real piece of work I wonder how this stacks up against it?

6. avatar BillC says:

Why are they calling it a Mk 18 Mod 0, when a Mk 18 Mod 0 is a 10 3″ 5.56mm?

7. avatar Randy Taylor says:

Not bad for 7K. I still want a Nemo Omen, 300WM is a little cheaper per shot. Just a little….

8. avatar Jimmyjames says:

There is an episode of Gunny Time where R. Lee Ermey gets scope eye shooting this rifle and starts leaking red fluid. He gets a little testy after that but to his and the shows credit, it’s all there in glorious technicolor.

9. avatar Accur81 says:

I want one!

10. avatar Franz says:

7 Grand?

11. avatar An English Person says:

$6999?!
    That’s only, like, a fiver in English money!

12. avatar Dani Jensen says:

I’ve been seeing articles on S.W.O.R.D. International for years, a lot of hullabaloo about them but it all feels like hot air. No actual reviews, just a lot of hype from them showing up at gun shows. Does anyone out there know about the status of S.W.O.R.D. and their offerings?

13. avatar isaac says:

I’d like to see it compared to an F&D Defense 338 Lapa does anybody have an idea