Zenith Firearms Now Shipping MP5 Rifle

P1190598

Zenith Firearms is the American importer of MKe’s MP5 firearms. They’ve been very successful with their pistol line of MP5K firearms, but they’ve been wanting to expand into the rifle lines as well. There has been a Z5 Rifle on the books with a restricted 10 round magazine for some time, but Zenith has started producing enough of the parts for their Z5 line that they can meet 922(R) compliance and sell the rifles with 30 round magazines. Now they’ve got a new rifle that takes advantage of that compliance with some cool features . . .

P1190608

The rifle sports a 16 inch barrel with a 3 lug adapter on the end and a picatinny rail for the forend. There’s a collapsible stock on the rear with both an “open” and “closed” position. Some might be tempted to buy one of these guys and SBR it, but that’s probably the wrong way to do it — removing the barrel is damn near impossible, and re-timing it once the length has been chopped is a chore and a half. Better to just buy the pistol and SBR it from that state.

MKE makes some good stuff. The Z5 series is a solid line of guns, and this one feels and shoots exactly like the rest of the line. If you’re looking for a nifty 9mm carbine then this is definitely worth a look.

comments

1. avatar Farmer Tyler says:

Wonder if it is more reliable than my Vector Arms V94 that jams up every 2 rounds…

2. avatar AaronW says:

My first color set was a Zenith…

1. avatar Marc says:

We had a floor console model when I was growing up; talking mid 70’s. That thing was a beast. My brother fell into it one day and it split his head open like a cantaloupe. I could’ve swore I heard the thing laughing at him.

1. avatar Jean says:

Decepticon!!!!

2. avatar Stuki Moi says:

And now they’re Back in Black…..

3. avatar Art out West says:

I don’t know what the price will be, but this certainly looks like more interesting than an AR type 9mm carbine.

1. avatar Jack Griffin says:

Yes, interesting in that the mags are three times as expensive and mounting optics is a headache and a half.

1. avatar Art out West says:

What would actually be nice is a 9mm carbine in similar form to a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 – tube fed for the Marlin.

1. avatar A Hill says:

Chiappa makes a blowback 9mm in an M1 Carbine style body. Takes Beretta mags.

2. avatar Art out West says:

I guess I forgot about the 9mm carbines that both Ruger and Marlin use to make (Camp Carbine and Police Carbine).

I still think the tube fed option would be fun for a “farm or truck” type gun.

4. avatar Mike says:

Don’t see it on their site. Overall length? Looks like 28″ collapsed?

5. avatar commonwealth109 says:

You could buy 1 of these – or probably;
    a Sub2000,
    plus a JRC 9mm,
    plus a Stag Arms 9T.
    This thing will be overpriced for what it is, I can almost guarantee it.

6. avatar Barry says:

*Cough* CX4. *Cough*

1. avatar Art out West says:

*Chortle* Hi-Point 995 *Chortle*

1. avatar JNZ says:

Or you could stop buying garbage firearms and get a the CZ Evo3 which is only a logo change and some styling ques away from the HK UMP.

1. avatar Art out West says:

“Garbage firearms” have their place. For me, a 9mm carbine isn’t one of my “serious defensive firearms”. It is more of a range toy. I’ve got the AK, Glock, and shotgun for “serious defensive work”. Something like a Hi-Point carbine (I’ve got the .40 cal. version) is more of a fun plinker/truck/farm gun. It is a step up power wise from the .22s. It is a great rifle for what it is. I paid $200 bucks for it. So far, it has proven itself to be accurate and reliable.

Hi-Point carbines are a solid defensive option for broke people, and a fun range toy for middle class folks. Despise them if you want.

By the way, I agree with you about the CZ EVO. It is the way to go for a quality 9mm carbine.

2. avatar Evo 3 lover says:

Agreed. My CZ Evo SBR suppressed is probably my favorite gun. Not a single malfunction in thousands of rounds and the design is just fantastic. It’s easy as hell to take apart and service and IT JUST WORKS!!!

7. avatar James69 says:

Why not just put a shoulder thingy on the pistol version?? That thing looks like crap. Kinda like a mac-10 with a 16 inch barrel and folding stock for ya know for CCW.

1. avatar Art out West says:

A shoulder thingy that goes up?

8. avatar Big Jim says:

I bet this thing is 1500 bucks if its a dollar! Anything remotely Relevant to H & K Is pricey pricey pricey! I would really be surprised if this gun wasn’t close to $2,000. I would rather have a custom 1911 Nighthawk If I’m going to drop that kind of change on a 9 millimeter Pistol cartridge. I’ll stick to my AR 15 9 millimeter Colt.

1. avatar Adrik says:

The Pistols are in the $1,700.00 range. My guess would be this is right around $2,000.00. Wayyyyy to much more than the SIG offering. Basically it is cool factor only.

9. avatar De Facto says:

I’ve always wanted one. I’d love to get a pistol version and put a SB15 brace on it. Depending on the price anyway. If they hit the $1200 mark I think I could manage that.

10. avatar Ken in TN says:

Will thier pistols work with a reg trigger pack?

11. avatar JNZ says:

I REALLY don’t understand these.

They look terrible, and the only way the MP5 is fun is if you SBR it. If you want to SBR the pistol, it’s file the form and attach the stock. If NFA is “an issue” then a KAK blade on a folding mechanism to the pistol and done, poor man’s SBR.

If you want to SBR this rifle… GOOD LUCK. The barrel on the MP5 is EXTREMELY difficult to remove and reinstall in order to cut it down. I would trust exceptionally few people to cut and thread the barrel with or without removing from the trunnion/receiver.

Maybe they are making something for the faux suppressor crowd that I’ll never understand.

12. avatar Bob says:

The only value to this gun is if you want to constantly be reminded that the NFA sucks and your gov’t hates you.

MP5 as SBR or nothing.