Hands On with Springfield’s New M1A SOCOM 16 CQB

P1190294

The world of semi-auto .308 Winchester rifles is getting significantly more crowded these days. From the SCAR 17 to the ever-present AR-10 clones there’s a semi-auto .308 that pairs with just about everyone’s tastes. Nevertheless Springfield has decided to launch another entrant into the world of sending .30 inch diameter pieces of lead downrange in short succession with their M1A SOCOM CQB series of guns . . .

P1190309

Springfield has had a SOCOM series of M1A rifles for years. Their M1A rifles sport excellent two-stage triggers, great reliability, and the option for some impressive match grade barrels. The difference here is that there’s now an adjustable AR-15 commercial spec compatible stock on the rear of the gun instead of the standard fixed traditional style stock. This allows the shooter to adjust the gun to exactly meet their physical dimensions, making it much more comfortable to shoot no matter your size.

P1190304

Another option available for the gun is a factory-mounted Vortex Venom red dot. It’s a tiny thing that takes up very little space and adds almost no weight, but for a short 16-inch .308 Win rifle it turns it into an excellent short range hunting gun.

I’d love to see this gun available with different stock options and possibly different colors. This could be a great hog gun.

comments

1. avatar Sian says:

That’s one ugly stock.

2. avatar uncommon_sense says:

I would love to see that rifle available with 20 to 25 round magazines.

I would also love to see that rifle available in 7.62 x 39mm and use standard AK magazines.

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

The standard mag is 20 rounds for the M1A/M14.

2. avatar ACP_arms says:

Well, you can buy 20 round mags… unless you mean having a 20rd mag sold with it.

3. avatar Scout Dan says:

7.62×39 in an M1A is just downright blasphemy. Buy a Ruger Mini 30 if you can’t handle a big boy gun.

3. avatar dwb says:

I would love to see a MD compliant version. M1a is banned by name though so they would have to be willing to deliver a FuOM1a.

Meanwhile, MDers will have to be satisfied buying the SCAR 17, AR10 carbine, Keltec 24″ bullpup, mini 30 in .300 Blackout,… just not the venerable M1a

1. avatar Taylor TX says:

I was thinking the vz-58 was ok too for whatever reason.

1. avatar int19h says:

You were thinking right – it’s explicitly listed as not banned. Look under VZ here:

(By the way, it’s amusing that whoever compiled that list doesn’t understand that “Vz” is not a manufacturer, it’s just an abbreviation of the Czech word for “model”.)

4. avatar TTACer says:

If it is possible to have a folder or completely collapsible stock (unlike an AR) then it should.

5. avatar ACP_arms says:

Nothing less than a 18″ barrel for any .308 for me, M1A scout squad in FDE is more my liking.

1. avatar Scout Dan says:

Agreed. You lose a lot of the .308’s versatility of you go below 18″. However the difference from the full size to the Scout is negligible. Plus you can still use USGI parts and you don’t have to screw up the gas system like in the Socom.

1. avatar clayton pascik says:

I always hear the SOCOM has a screwed up gas system yet never here how. So I ask how is the gas system messed up. I have had a SOCOM II for years with > 3k rounds though it and it performs in every weather condition and status of cleanliness. So again how is this gas system an issue?

6. avatar Adrik says:

Assuming that stock is pretty solid I would say that is not a bad option as a hog gun, 308 is more versatile than 300BLK. Add a magnified optic and you can reach out pretty far, top mount a reflex sight and you have in close covered.

7. avatar sarcastic Sal says:

I like it

8. avatar Geoff PR says:

A threaded barrel (and a subsonic load) would make that very tasty for home defense and hogs…

1. avatar int19h says:

If you’re using a subsonic load, why not just go .300 BLK for a much more compact and lighter package? Same bullet weight, diameter and velocity anyway…

9. avatar Pwrserge says:

Honestly, I thought my 20″ barrel AR10 was not making full use of the cartridge… I can only imagine what sorts of fireballs come out of that thing. It’s like running a 5.56 AR with a 6″ barrel. Why bother?

1. avatar NDS says:

I had a 16″ SOCOM II once upon a time, absolutely brutal at night. Fun but useless.

10. avatar Nate H. says:

I like my classic firearms to have a classic styling to them. To that end, I’ll have my M1A in walnut with no less than 20″ of barrel. If someone were to gift me a M1A CQB, I certainly wouldn’t turn it down!

11. avatar Defens says:

How did it balance, Nick? Given the front end weight of an M1A, with all that iron hanging out there, I’d be a bit concerned that with a flyweight AR telescoping stock it’s be really front heavy.

12. avatar Gregolas says:

When is Springfield Armory going to make 7.62 Garands again ?

1. avatar Mark N. says:

This is not the Springfield Armory you are looking for. It went out of business years ago, and the name was purchased by a new company that has no relation to the old one. The new company made its name with Croatian designed and manufactured polymer framed handguns (all XDs) and a smattering of Brazilian sourced 1911s, some complete and some completed in the custom shop in Illinois. It was successful and has expanded its offerings. This company has never manufactured a Garand.

1. avatar Gregolas says:

Thanks for the update Mark N. I had no idea that it wasn’t the same company.
        Drat !

2. avatar greg says:

I believe SAInc did make some cast receiver Garand copies for a short time. I think they were know for receiver stretch issues.

13. avatar Mark N. says:

California buyers, if you want one, get it now before it is banned (if the Legislature has its way–there are now THREE bills to ban semiauto centerfire rifles!–and only a veto will prevent one of them taking effect by year’s end).

1. avatar california richard says:

With the pistol grip and telescoping stock its already banned. You can still get a socom16 and socom II…… If (and thats a big if) you can find them anywhere in the state. Usually run way above msrp.

2. avatar foodog says:

And forgive me if I am wrong- even after purchasing before these bills are voted in,
      afterward any semi-auto rifle will be banned, correct? Not just unable to buy or transfer, but have to be turned in, the way I read the texts.

Looks like we CA POTG are down to bolt or lever long guns and wheel hand guns. Whats that cowboy combination you were favoring a couple years back, RF?

1. avatar california richard says:

Or we just have boating accident where we tragically lose our guns.

14. avatar Elvis says:

Impressive. They’ve reverse engineered a Tapco AK stock.

1. avatar BDub says:

I think that’s a variant of the Archangel Precision Stock. Now that Springfield is shipping Archangel stocks standard on some models, I imagine they have some sort of development partnership that produced this.

1. avatar tufty says:

LOL, You’re gonna get letters..

1. avatar BillC says:

If I was gifted any kind of M1A, I’d gladly accept, I’d just never buy one.
        The only group of shooters that defend a “legacy” of a firearm more than M1A/M14 people are 1911 guys, but the 1911 guys actually have a case. The M14 was, what? The service rifle of the US for, say about 5 minutes? Now it has a reputation of legendary status? C’mon. It’s still used a DMR only because that’s what we had in a dusty closet. Add the whizbang Sage chassis also makes it heavy as sin.
        I know how we can fix that! Chop the barrel down to 16 inches, call it something cool like SOCOM to imply that’s the gun of choice for SEALS, because SEALS sell guns and workout methods! Wait? why stop there? Let’s now put it in a fugly stock to further reduce weight! All because the M1A is not the most accurate, lightweight, ergonomic, economical, modular, adaptable, reliable, or reputable .308 rifle; but Springfield tries to sell the $hit out of them.

1. avatar Martin says:

I sense a lot of arrogance and lack of education on the subject. The M14 is anot M1 Garand with a few upgrades including a detachable mag. The Garand was 1 of the USs greatest advantages in WWII. So the M14 is a legendary rifle in its family. The design and family has been used since WWII to present. The more recent being the M21. Many servicemen are recently opting to use the M14 today. It is a design that has proven itself in accuracy, reliability, and power. It is the greatest multi purpose rifle ever manufactured. The M16 became the standard issue rifle mainly due to cheaper manufacture and cheaper ammunition. It’s lighter and all plastic and steel. The M1A is very similar to the 1911, a legendary design that was generations ahead of its time. Same designer. Why change a perfect design? They havent. It may not be the cover page of the military these days, however it is still dominated outside of the spotlight.

2. avatar int19h says:

Did you read the article?

Also, just because something was ahead of its time when it first appeared, doesn’t mean that it’s still ahead 20 years later, and sure as hell doesn’t mean that it’s perfect. Neither Garand, nor M14, nor 1911 are perfect.

2. avatar K-Bizz says:

Don’t forget InRange TV…

M1A fails hard in adverse conditions.

15. avatar int19h says:

I kinda don’t see a point. I mean, if you want rails and pistol grip and folding stock and other tacticool goodness, why’d you get this rather than AR (a piston one if you care much about DI)? The appeal of M1A was always to large extent due to how it looks and handles like an old-school, traditional rifle.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

I’m in complete agreement.

16. avatar me says:

FAL ftw….nuff said

17. avatar Mathew Adkins says:

Ya’ll can carry that too long and heavy standard M14. Not a practical weapon for home defense. Yeah you can hunt with that long 18-20″ barrel but when the fight comes inside you’ll be wishing you had something shorter with the knock down power of the 308. All you guys on here sound like a bunch bums that ridicule a rifle because you can’t afford it, can’t handle the recoil, or both. Stick to your cheap ass Bushmaster 223’s. Don’t buy a gun you can’t afford and/or scared to shoot.