What Instapundit Glenn Reynolds Carries and Why

Instapundit Glenn Reynolds (courtesy The Truth About Guns)

After Instapunidt Glenn Reynolds gave his talk on the Second Amendment yesterday I asked the Blogfather what he carries. Professor Reynolds told me that he carries a GLOCK 26 in an ankle holster and a Ruger LCP in his pocket. He chose the GLOCK for the same reason millions of Americans carry Gaston’s gat: it goes bang when you pull the trigger. He chose the LCP because of its diminutive size and ready accessibility. As you might guess from his choices . . .

Glenn values concealment above anything else. At his request, that’s all I’m going to say about that. Except this: Reynolds had a stalker and values his Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms as much as he values every other Constitutionally protected right – only more so. Reynolds walks the walk. What else needs to be said?

comments

1. avatar Todd Price says:

Similar to me, but substitute Sig P238 for the LCP.

2. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

Glock 26. In a remora. 7 pm position. Boom

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

7 o’clock allows draw using both hands, but doesn’t hurt your back when sitting or driving?

1. avatar CJ Minnesota says:

This assumes that the carrier has fully functional shoulders with full range of movement.

2. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

nope. doesn’t hurt. very comforting that I know is there

3. avatar tdiinva (Now in Wisconsin) says:

Carrying a a G-26 in an ankle holster has to be a pain. It’s only slightly smaller than an XD/m Compact.

Professor Reynolds used to be my favorite blogger but he has fallen down the list ovet the years. If you follow his ups and downs on National Security you realize Kipling wrote “Tommy” with Glenn Reynolds in mind.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I ankle carried the G26 for a time, and stopped due to finding it too heavy.

I felt off balance, constantly.

1. avatar Cliff H says:

Buy another one.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Though, I like that idea, I’m not looking to carry a tertiary gun…yet.

4. avatar CJ Minnesota says:

Left handed not Glock 26. Walter P99c. Southpaw 4:00.

1. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

Gen 4 mag release is reversible. But being a lefty, I learned to adapt w/out reversing mine (since wife is righty).

2. avatar B says:

Its really not any slower to hit the mag release with my index finger, being a lefty. If a pistol release is reversible I do it, but its not a deal breaker for me like a non-ambi safety on a carry gun would be.

1. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

agree – use index finger. wife is not a lefty, and I would rather train with a weapon she can use in case of need vs being super comfortable. It would bother me if something happened and she couldn’t reload or freaked out when the mag button was not where she wanted it.. . . .

5. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Two fine weapons.

6. avatar jwm says:

Only time I ever ankle carried was when I had to be in Chicago back in the day. I had a Charter Arms .38.

I did not like ankle carry.

1. avatar Joe R. says:

+ YA, ankle carry is hard to get used to, and IMHO you should already have your weapon drawn before you get into any oosition that would allow you to access an ankle-holstered weapon. Reaching for It screams oh sh_t I need my ‘back up’ weapon to your brain.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Ankle carry is much faster than pocket carry when you’re drawing while seated.

7. avatar O2HeN2 says:

Recently upgraded my pocket LCP to a pocket Glock 43. Just a ‘skosh larger, same ammo at the 26. I like it!

O2

Reynolds had better carry, what with all the hate the MSM is ginning up for people on the right.

And if somebody does try to whack Glenn, the Dems will blame him for his “inflammatory rhetoric,” the way they tried to blame the right for the attempt to kill Gabby Giffords and the way they’re trying to blame the San Berdoo victims for their own demise.

9. avatar Tom says:

I had never heard of TTAG until Instapundit started linking to it. His pro-2A posts and links helped convert me from a fence-sitter to a gun enthusiast and every day carrier.

10. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Ankle carry a GLOCK 26? That’s an awfully fat gun for that. Not to mention too heavy…I would think the tiny LCP would be in the ankle rig.

11. avatar neiowa says:

Or an alien chick with postbaby blues. Or spacemen.

You tell the world you carry a SECOND piece as a backup? That there is not so bright.

1. avatar Isaac says:

He hasn’t told anyone about his third piece……

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Or fourth… or fifth…

He could be just like Josey Wales and keep pulling out pistols.

12. avatar Right to arm Bears says:

I share a preference for the LCP pocket carry w/ defensive (HP) ammo. Goes bang when you pull the trigger and never a FTF or FTE event at the range. Can’t fix what ain’t broke.

13. avatar Ardent says:

There seems to be a lot of concern about weight in regards to ankle carry. While it is a concern, a Glock 26 isn’t all that heavy for the method. I think the negative perception about ankle carry stems from people trying it with a cheap holster and hating it, and so never investing in a good rig. If you’re interested, Tagua makes some very nice ankle rigs for under $50 to fit about anything practical to carry there. I’ve found that a poor rig is painful and insecure with a .380 bodyguard, but that an xds9 can actually be forgotten in a good rig. Like most CC, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it is highly dependent on good gear for fit and comfort.